lets talk tig ( first ever usable weld pic up )

hey lads after having my tig for a few months now ( unused ) i am finally going to unwrap it and use it

got some questions tho about tungsten / filler rod / and amps settings

i am starting with sch40 mild steel steam pipe between 2.8mm and 3.2mm wall ( another manifold project )

so what size tungsten do i use ( mm ) also color of tungsten as i saw there's different colors

and what amp settings to start with ???

Edited by 5e colin

From what I remember I think around 15psi for tig welding? I could be completely wrong so don't hold me to that haha! Usually you'll know if the gas is too low or high if it spits or bubbles. Remember to bevel the ends of your joints to make sure there's a nice area to sit the weld in :)! Also the main problem I had with welding mild with tig was due to contamination. With mig you can pretty much go over anything and it'll be alright. Tig needs to be clean. Make sure you key all the areas you're welding and give them a wipe off with panel wipe too.

Edited by aaddzz123
  • 3 weeks later...

1.6mm Thoriated (Red) tungstens are what I tend to use when making manifolds (mild steel, sch40) and i tend to use a number 5 nozzle with a gas lens. Its gives much more even gas dispersion and I can wind the flow rate right down and still create really nice welds.

Like this basically:

maxresdefault.jpg

With aluminium I tend to set the flow rate at 10-15lt/m dependant on the type of job/position being used. I made up some ali fuel tanks for a launch a month or so back and got it pretty dialled in using again a number 5 nozzle and gas lense but with a 2.4mm Zirconiated (White) tungstens.

img_2477s.jpg

Can't stress enough that preparation and cleanliness are key to a good weld.

Good luck!

Edited by Stu

Thanks! My machines are pretty dialled now which helps. Some people hate the gas lens nozzles for some reason but I get good results. I've been using a long neck version for manifolds lately, bit tricky for tight stuff but does most of a manifold without any issue. Will take a photo when I'm home

• 2 months later...

so was practicing a few days now and again sinds may and im getting there must say prefer this over mig welding it deffo has its advantages

going to practice on ss ofcuts now type unknown so what the name of the universal ss tig rods i have to use for that ????

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

now after al the messing and trying today was the 1st time i thought i weld 2 exhaust tubes together as i use them for my turbo kit boost pipe to the oem topmount ( for now )

honnestly i am very happy with it as the practice tig welds where al on flatbar and on mild steel this ss stuff welds totally diferent dont ask me how it just is im not experienced enough to say why

i forgotten to take pics when i was actually doing it ( sorry to exited ) but took 1 from it on the pipe put back on the topmount setup i know its not the prettiest but i tested it for leaks and its not leaking so good start ha ha was at 60A + - as my yoke is not digital 1.6mm red tungsten and no filler on most just on the back where i got a little hole i dipped some filler in to save my 1st work ha ha now i touch puddle ruffly every 20 seconds was every 3 seconds when i started so progress indeed

to me it seens using bigger tungsten and filler rod is easioer to weld ( for me )

let the pro welders say something on current speed etc as i am still green behind the ears with this cheers

post-9966-0-00784400-1481481742_thumb.jp

Edited by 5e colin