• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I'm also interested in this because I've also stripped 3rd.

I stripped a paseo box to see but the gears looks weaker.

I'm going to start looking through diesel box's to see if I can fin anything similar size with a thicker tooth.

Short Answer.

There is no cost effective solution.

Ignore anyone that tells you they've engineered or made a custom box. 5 or 6 speed.

I've looked at every option going after blowing 5 of these gearbox's in the same way. As has MadMike on here.

The strongest box is a GT C52 5 Speed. (Due to longer ratios which help a touch)

6 Speed's have a thinner 3rd gear. Don't Waste your time.

Sorry

Your only options are:

Zisco Straight Cut or Quaife.

Both will cost you 6k + by the time there in a car.

Both of which will still wear out eventually and dont give specs on what they can cope with either.

Samsonas sell or sold a 5 speed c150 Toyota gearset straight cut that I would consider but again massive money.

I looked at the juba upgraded 3rd and 4th for the newage six speed c series boxes but really it's not going to cut the mustard either.

Phil

Edited by Phil

Has anyone looked at getting the gears cryo treated? Might help with the shreading of gears.

Also the supercharged 4agze used a e58 box. Its a slightly dialed down version of the e153 mr2 turbo box.

Youd need custom adaptor plate, mounts and maybe even driveshafts but its a box prooved to hold 500hp

Has anyone looked at getting the gears cryo treated? Might help with the shreading of gears.

Also the supercharged 4agze used a e58 box. Its a slightly dialed down version of the e153 mr2 turbo box.

Youd need custom adaptor plate, mounts and maybe even driveshafts but its a box prooved to hold 500hp

Sure ive seen someone had one of them before.

Might be a task getting a hold of one right enough.

And if theyve stopped doing some starlet syncros then guess they'll be stopping doing other toyota syncros too.

C56 has the same strength as a C52, just had different ratios - they are about as good as you are going to get unfortunately.

The E series boxes are physically much larger and while they would handle what ever you can throw at it, they would required a fair chunk of custom fabrication and body chop to make it fit.

Out of interest, what gearbox oil were you using in the gearbox that stripped the gears?

C56 has the same strength as a C52, just had different ratios - they are about as good as you are going to get unfortunately.

The E series boxes are physically much larger and while they would handle what ever you can throw at it, they would required a fair chunk of custom fabrication and body chop to make it fit.

Out of interest, what gearbox oil were you using in the gearbox that stripped the gears?

3046618F-2392-4E8B-BF59-04E2ED93AE97.jpg

I was using that stuff.

Very interested to hear what's the best for a lsd in box application?

Phil

Similar issues with gears on the GTTI. But at much lower power levels.people have added a bit of longetivity but running slightly more oil( filling up with the car at angle). Running thicker oil than specified.Fitting oil cooler to gearbox as gears often go on track with very warm oil.one guy has had the casing gears etc cryogenic coated and surving at 250hp.

Sa

Right this could be complete and utter shit but it's a suggestion.

It seems that people are stripping 3rd. Can't you get a hold of a good gearbox and have treatments or processes carried out on the weaker gears to make the box stronger?

Right this could be complete and utter shit but it's a suggestion.

It seems that people are stripping 3rd. Can't you get a hold of a good gearbox and have treatments or processes carried out on the weaker gears to make the box stronger?

I did suggest this too but seemed people missed or ignored it lol

Tried Everything.

Tried a BRAND NEW 3rd gear form Toyota and it didnt last. As they get stronger after being used for a while believe it or not, as they bed in.

Cyro stuff isn't going to help. While It will help, its only minimally.

Its not like we are JUST touching the edge of the gearbox's strength. Even at 300bhp your nearly 3 times what the box was designed to do!

There is NO Option.

The C6x boxes. Shit themselves around the 300-350bhp mark in the exact same way.

A friend of mine has done this recently in his turbo'd corolla tsport.

post-2707-0-08522500-1467890903_thumb.jp

post-2707-0-17461100-1467890908_thumb.jp