Im doing a k20 swap into a starlet ep91.

The angle of the engine is abit too forward,

And the angle of the driveshafts not inline.

Does the driveshaft angle need to be dead centre with the hubs, or will abit of angle be okay?

Thanks

Shaft angle can play a part in how the torque is applied (especially with an open diff) and effect torque steer. Some angle is fine, as long as you have roughly the same on both. I don't know much about the K series engines but if they have a bearing hanger on the back of the engine then I'd try to use it as it will even out your shaft lengths which also helps with even torque distribution.

i believe a local track ep82 car had in a k20 swap...but have not seen it in ages or know anything about how they did it

i do know is that it was reasonably fast and did some decent drag times...had some wide fender flares at the front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtx6NktySOQ

i think that was it...but not sure which engine was in it at the time of the vid as i heard it originally had in a 4age 16 or 20 valve conversion in its earlier days

Shaft angle can play a part in how the torque is applied (especially with an open diff) and effect torque steer. Some angle is fine, as long as you have roughly the same on both. I don't know much about the K series engines but if they have a bearing hanger on the back of the engine then I'd try to use it as it will even out your shaft lengths which also helps with even torque distribution.

The k20 uses equal length driveshaft design, it has a half shaft that mounts on the engine,

Looking straight at the hubs the shafts a looking slightly to the left on the inner.

The angle is not too bad but i like to have everything lined up and straight, its just touching the firewall.

• 3 months later...

Some angle is ok. If it's not much it may square them up as the engine moves on its mounts.

As long as the inner CV joint on the shaft is in line with the inner pivot of the tie rod on the steering rack and the cv joint isn't at the daftest angle ever or at the end of it's pivoting travel it should be alright

Vtec minis have a remarkably steep angle on thier driveshafts and they hold up