hi guys am looking for a set off red wheel nuts to go with my car i run ksport 6 pot brake kit with hub centric spacers 15" rota grids i have seen a few posts saying nuts like d1 spec are made from aluminium and can easily snap off not something i want when driving any suggestions for safe ones?

What Grant said.

Nothing wrong with them at all. Infact for alloys its what you should use.

Torquing them is more important.

Plus if its down to that thread about the Zafira GSI then I wouldnt worry startlets use wheel nuts and not wheel bolts so the chances of that happening are slim to none and if it does happen its more likely down to incorrect fitment than shit wheel nuts.

What Grant said.

Nothing wrong with them at all. Infact for alloys its what you should use.

Torquing them is more important.

Plus if its down to that thread about the Zafira GSI then I wouldnt worry startlets use wheel nuts and not wheel bolts so the chances of that happening are slim to none and if it does happen its more likely down to incorrect fitment than shit wheel nuts.

So why dont manufacturers use them from factory? Aluminum fasteners shouldn't be used on high torque/load applications regardless of whether or not they've been fitted correctly. The tensile strength isn't there to withstand the forces acted upon them. And the above torque figures are for a steel wheel nut. Do you know the correct figure for aluminium? They use steel because it stretches and keeps the tension. Aluminum doesn't do that, it shears.

So why dont manufacturers use them from factory? Aluminum fasteners shouldn't be used on high torque/load applications regardless of whether or not they've been fitted correctly. The tensile strength isn't there to withstand the forces acted upon them. And the above torque figures are for a steel wheel nut. Do you know the correct figure for aluminium? They use steel because it stretches and keeps the tension. Aluminum doesn't do that, it shears.

The forces on wheel bolts are completely different from that on nuts. For obvious reasons. So the same rules can't be applied for both

The forces on wheel bolts are completely different from that on nuts. For obvious reasons. So the same rules can't be applied for both

The same forces are still imposed on the material regardless. It's cheap nasty aluminium. Tell me, if its so good, why hasn't it caught on in OEM circles? Because nobody on their right mind would trust aluminium to hold on a wheel which is subjected to extreme longitudal and lateral forces. And lets be honest, what are you gaining from using aluminium compared to steel wheel nuts? A few grams of unsprung weight per corner, or is it for the bonus JDM SCENE POINTS YO! ???

Quite simply, cheap aluminium wheel nuts arent worth jack sh*t, they use steel for a reason.

The same forces are still imposed on the material regardless. It's cheap nasty aluminium. Tell me, if its so good, why hasn't it caught on in OEM circles? Because nobody on their right mind would trust aluminium to hold on a wheel which is subjected to extreme longitudal and lateral forces. And lets be honest, what are you gaining from using aluminium compared to steel wheel nuts? A few grams of unsprung weight per corner, or is it for the bonus JDM SCENE POINTS YO! ???

Quite simply, cheap aluminium wheel nuts arent worth jack sh*t, they use steel for a reason.

I didn't say aluminium was good. I just corrected you that the stresses aren't the same on bolts as on nuts. YO! 👍 Edited by glanzanut22

I didn't say aluminium was good. I just corrected you that the stresses aren't the same on bolts as on nuts. YO! 👍

The wheel locates on the spigot, but all the torque is applied on the tapered seat of the nut/stud. Therefore, you're still subjecting either the bolt/nut to the same forces. Do tell me where the stresses are different?

The only difference being is you'll have varying fracture points.

Edited by Starlet__SR