U pol brush on. I've used it in the past and not had a problem though. I'm going to use tiger seal this time. From a mastic tube.

Edited by Bean
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have paint!

20160714_222207_zpsvpbn5xwo.jpg

20160714_222222_zpsbjtvxnix.jpg

Just a first coat of epoxy primer. I've noticed I've missed the passenger side engine mount lol.

I've taken tomorrow off so I can get another coat on in the morning and see how I get on.

Haha.The neighbours think i already have! They wont take parcels in for me any more and were moaning about it at the start of the month. They think im running a business due to all the car parts im getting delivered and im making money from it!

I explained its just my hobby and they are my cars. Then she said i make money when i sell them.

Ive sold one car this year which was a eg civic i bought it from a mate to help him out and i actually ended up selling it back to him for the same price! ive scrapped a gt4 shell thats it. So now im ordering all my stuff to my step dads house a few miles away ffs.

The bay is now seam sealed and it looks much better than before i just wish i did it this way first time round and i would be a day ahead and it would have made a better job of it.

Also if anyone needs a decent mastic gun prepare to be blown away by this one. I got sick of breaking one every time i needed one so i asked a guy who fits windows all day and he told me about them. since i got mine a few of my mates have been out and bought them too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-SGNPOWER-Power-Pro-Sealant/dp/B002SHDICK

Edited by Bean

That's bollocks mate why should it bother them what you're doing. If I lived next door you'd have an extra set of hands when ever you wanted ha ha.

Edited by Pikey009

haha. yeah they are two old pensioners who live on there own with nothing better to do. The thing is ive lived here for 4 years now and ive never had an issue with any of them until now so it was a bit of a shock.

My bro has had similar problem with nosey neighbour, got reported to the council, built a garage at the back of his garden for his hobby which is making model traction engines.

Now when is this GT of yours coming up for sale:-)

My bro has had similar problem with nosey neighbour, got reported to the council, built a garage at the back of his garden for his hobby which is making model traction engines.

Now when is this GT of yours coming up for sale:-)

Exactly whats that got to do with his neighbours. Some people need to find something to do with them selfs. If i ever get that sad i think i would start digging my self a big hole and jump in.

The grey GT will not be for sale. I know if i sell it i will just end up buying another at some point. Its a nice genuine GT. Im thinking about selling my advance shell which is garaged so that i can then put the grey GT in there for storage. I may need to put it back on the road for a bit while i swap the engine over from my civic into the teg though. It went for its mot a few weeks ago and only failed on the rear fog (sorted now), the mot guy said how clean it is underneath.

Didn't think you would sell it, it looks a nice motor and love the colour.

I'm on the look out for one, GT auto or glanza v auto second choice. Hoping to find a bit of a bargain really if that's still possible not in any rush as it just be a weekend toy.

just keep a look out. autos do seem to be cheaper. It is getting hard to find a decent starlet though. Even some going through the auctions look tired now.

I have most of the parts to convert mine to manual which is what i had planned to do. I just need to pick a manual box up.

Yeh he older people have too much time on their hands I think. Whenever I go see the grandparents they literally know exactly what everyone is doing down their street ha ha. Looking forward to the next instalment of the teggy

I gave it a light sand this morning and then a good clean to be sure. I soaked the garage floor to keep any dust down too.

Its first coat of colour.

20160716_135049_zpsk0obg4nh.jpg

20160716_135104_zpsblu9h3gs.jpg

I didnt spot any runs whilst spraying fingers crossed. I will get a better look later today when its dry and i will probably give it another coat today and hopefully that will be it!

My compressor is really earning its keep now ive been using it loads.

Thanks amjab, they are going up in price and they all nearly have rusty rear arches too.

I've just been out and put another coat of champ white on it. I think I got a few runs this time but hopefully it comes ok.

Heres a couple of quick pics. Its came out pretty good but there are some bits of dust and stuff in it which was always going to happen in my dusty garage. I think I'm going to accept how it is as finished instead of sanding bits again to get dust out spraying another coat then more dust just getting in it again.

20160717_002639_zpsllurrrnn.jpg

20160717_002734_zpseps54vs9.jpg

It does look shiney and it will be nice to get it outside for a better look.

Also I was careful not to put too much paint over the chassis number so it is still readable so I'm happy with that.

This is the first engine bay I have sprayed myself with a spray gun. I prepped the gt4 but my mate sprayed that. So I think I've not done too bad.

A couple of things I would do differently next time.

Change the coiled Air line for normal hose as I caught the paint once with it.

Mix a bit more paint up as I didn't quite mix enough on the last coat and I had to quickly mix more.

Spray it at the other end of the garage as I think it would be less dusty.

Just be a bit more organised with the mixing and have things set out.

Get a proper mask.

Watch any sweat doesn't drip off my head onto the car while spraying!

It will be nice to get some parts back in this shortly!

Edited by Bean

Thanks Guys.

Been on this most of the day, i got some stuff back in the bay. Ive also gone through the wiring loom on the drivers side to make sure there was no damage and re wrap it all up. I found 3 broken wires which ive repaired.

IMG-20160717-WA0002_zps5mdc20f1.jpeg

Tomorrow night will be going over the passenger side loom and getting that in place.

Ive also had Claire and Luke on the air tools sanding and cleaning up various brackets and the battery tray ready to spray.

Edited by Bean
  • 2 weeks later...

ive not updated it for a bit but ive been busy!

a few more pics of the updates.

The teg eyeing up its new heart.

20160722_203002_zpsxqoxvy2q.jpg

engine out

20160723_144855_zpsypykrgkj.jpg

box off for dc2 flywheel which seemed a good bit lighter and less mass on it than the b18c4 one.

Unfortunetly it came with a pressure plate bolt snapped off in it which took a bit of sorting out.

20160723_160915_zpsbs22ipnj.jpg

20160718_195451_zpsdqnrcff6.jpg

New genuine honda clutch, release bearing and pilot bearing for the flywheel.

20160723_180858_zpswmhx9nvp.jpg

new cambelt, tensioner, and water pump. I wrote on the pump in permanent marker the mileage and date.

IMG-20160726-WA0004_zpsssthkxiu.jpeg

The cluch fork was all greased up on the pivot points as was the slave cylinder to keep any squeaks and stuff away and from wearing out.

20160723_183354_zpsnv9eki5c.jpg

I got the engine and box painted and the gf brought me a chicken wrap out :D

IMG-20160725-WA0014_zpsyqkg1e8l.jpeg

The engine went in no bother, i jacked the front end of the car up and slid it under then lowered it down then lifted the engine up with the crane and then used a jacka little to help get the passenger side gearbox mount in first. Claire helped to keep an eye on things when lowering and lifting too.

20160727_212410_zpsrm75hrvb.jpg

20160727_212425_zps1zzudkpb.jpg

I did a few other jobs too before the engine went in, i made a new drivers front brake line from cupro nickel (not the usual copper stuff) i also fitted the power steering lines and stuff from the aerodeck as some hero had removed it in the past and looped the rack over, ive no interest in that sort of stuff.

Also fitted a Hel braided clutch line as my standard stuff was all covered in red paint and it was just easier to fit that than clean it all up.

Im off to Kendal Calling tomorrow for the weekend then next week im in spain for a week so progress will come to halt for a bit im afraid, but atleast the engine is in and i cant loose or forget where everything is if the engine is in lol.

Edited by Bean