Hi Guys. Ive been a member for some time but not really posted much i just lurk in the background lol.

Well i used to own a lovely red uk dc2 a good few years ago and it was very clean! It was possibly the best handling car ive had maybe even better than the s2000 i had. I regretted selling the red one but ive been so busy since with building other cars and stuff so i never really had chance to get another.
With my celica gt4 rebuild coming near to the end i started looking for a dc2 shell to build up. I had been looking for a good while but not really spotted anything and the ones i did find people wanted to strip ever part off to make more money so no good to me.
After missing out on a very clean black uk dc2 i came across a champ white one and as i type this it is on its way up to me via trailer on a 5 hour+ trip!
Ive seen heaps of pics of it and im not expecting it to be mint but it looks decent enough.
Its just had the engine, box ect removed, front seats, rear lower brace and a couple of other little bits.
My plan for it is to use the aerodeck vti i have been using as a daily to rob for parts to get the dc2 on the road pretty soon. I chose the b18c4 as i would really like to turbo it and from past ones ive had they dont make much less power than a c6 na.

So heres a couple of pics. If anyone recognises the car shout up.

13493378_10157165117195151_1945253956_o_

13467485_10157140548775151_924902088_o_z

13445916_10157140498490151_1281274224_o_

Here's a couple more pics guys. I've gave it a quick scrub it was ready for it. And made a start going through the front suspension to replace anything which looks tired.

I've fitted a new bottom ball joint and have new track rod ends to go on. Also took the ds caliper apart cleaned it up and sorted out a seized slider and greased them up.

Just waiting on me lca bushes, drop links and some other bits and bobs to keep it right.

20160621_203214_zpswtmnzlyq.jpg

20160621_211118_zps1mlkgd4b.jpg

I will be giving it a good clean up underneath and some protection.

The engine bay is a right mess painted red with a brush.

received_10157267459320105_zpsc9cp0itf.j

received_10157267461525105_zpsjwq8vax7.j

received_10157267399180105_zpshzctavx3.j

received_10157267398670105_zps2grbyxum.j

The bonnet raisers will be going When I get chance.

Plenty left to do!

Edited by Bean
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

came across this the other day??

20160621_211149_zpszqshkp35.jpg

never heard of a split pin?

I made a start cleaning up the drivers side wheel arch.

13518105_10157293594205105_1387438833_o_

20160625_153831_zpsiedtmdyt.jpg

a small piece of welding needed

20160626_173156_zpswmccvyqe.jpg

Front calipers stripped down

20160625_180748_zpstb7kxwyd.jpg

i soaked them in that bilt hamber stuff after getting the paint off to get the rust off and primed them.

20160626_212915_zpsniuttfoa.jpg

Just need some more paint to finish the calipers, some 1.5mm sheet steel for the small repairs, my parts to arrive from Honda, and my epoxy primer to arrive.

Last night i got pretty much everything stripped out the engine bay ready for it to be sanded down and prepped for paint.

Edited by Bean

Cheers mate, i do like a project. The dc2 forum seems dead and i always thought it was full of knobs tbh so i thought best to just put a thread on here. More updates as the week goes on.

My epoxy primer has landed and a few other bits, just wanting on the honda delivery now.

im after a few parts if anyone knows of anyone with some dc2 parts for sale

oem gerknob and nut
front arch liners
rear boot brace from a jdm car
rear under brace between where the arb D bushes bolt on
dc2 flywheel
interior tray which lifts down on the drives side infront of the fuse box

dc2 stock front strut brace

Edited by Bean

nice 1 !!!!!

now make those vtec boys go crazy and slap a 4efte in there :)

lol dont be daft Honda engines are a much better motor.

can't wait for the progress on this mate. You should've done one for the GT4 too :)

I think i did mate i maybe just lost track of updating it tbh.

Its raining again and im working on this outside as the gt4 isnt getting wet so the jobs off for now. I can finish the calipers off so im going to do that.

not much done today as its lashed down all afternoon.

Calipers and carriers are now sprayed with new pistons and seals in them. I wouldn't usually go for red but i thought its a white car and it would match the red type r decals and badges it has and i already had some Ford Radiant Red in the garage.

20160628_210311_zpshjtyiljf.jpg

I got the old inserts out the lca's and two of the new bushes fitted in one arm and that one sprayed and ready to go back on the car.

insert left in the lca after removing the old bush. These are well stuck in there.

20160628_153536_zpsawxi2qhl.jpg

To get them out i ran a ring of weld around the insert on both sides of each bush. This helps release them from the arm. Then hopefully a few good taps with a punch and hammer knocks them out. Some took a bit more and one i used an old gt4 bush insert to knock out and it came out easy then.

20160628_163200_zpsyrcz11ev.jpg

heres the one finished arm with new Genuine Honda bushes and ready to go back on the car.

20160628_210503_zpsp3hdmr2q.jpg

Tomorrow morning im going to get the new bushes in the other arm and then get it painted up. I was hoping to get the bits of welding on the inner arches done and then get them epoxy primed then all sealed up with seam sealer and undersealed but it looks like more rain! :(

Edited by Bean

Today it lashed down all morning, but i borrowed a press at the garage down the road to get the bushes pressed into my other lca. I got it cleaned up, and ready to go back on the car.

I finished off the front calipers by putting the silders for the carriers back in and the new seals and greased them up. I also cleaned up the servo and got that sprayed no pics yet though.

Then eventually it stopped raining so i started cleaning up and prepping the passenger side front wheel arch and also got my girlfriend to make a start sanding down the engine bay!

20160629_165551_zpsirfzi96m.jpg

20160629_191132_zps5ifxan8h.jpg

The wheel arch is almost finished and ready for a little welding, the engine bay still has lots of red left to sand down! Hopefully i get a dry spell tomorrow to bash on with it.

Edited by Bean

The rain is seriously slowing progress on this!! So ive not got much further. The passenger side arch is all welded up now and cleaned up and ready for primer.

The drivers side welding is almost finished but then this happened

20160701_132001_zpsihfka7ed.jpg

I thought there was loads left on that roll but obviously not. I went to get another roll and it was .6mm where the other roll was .8mm so i changed the wire feed roller round and changed the tip, got the wire fed through then i heard some thunder and shortly after it started lashing down again! :angry2:

I was going to get some pics showing the welding but with the weather so bad i didnt get a chance. heres one of the plate held in place with tape ready to start tacking in. It doesnt look like much but i spent ages grinding, filing and shaping that piece to just the right shape and size and there are a few small curves in it to get it just right. Apart from these two areas on both sides the rest of under there is in good condition.

20160701_125606_zpsq4dafgtp.jpg

Edited by Bean

Cheers Marc. I will be keeping mine pretty stock compared to yours which is highly modified. I plan to keep it sensible for daily use for work and the back road's amd fell roads I use.

Got a couple of nice pics here I'm pretry chuffed with.

20160701_182431_zpsmku0iffs.jpg

20160701_182414_zpssanofpbn.jpg

And a before and after

IMG_20160701_192630_zpsfcwisazm.jpg

Also got a Oem dc2 momo wheel in nice condition in the post today. I had one in my last dc2 and really liked it so I wanted another.

Next job is undersealing and sanding the bay.

Thanks guys. You only have to do it right once, its the best way.

Well it was a shame to hide that nice white paint but i wanted a bit more protection and Hondas do love their rust!

A guy from work gave me a nearly full can of wax oil a while ago so i thought i would use some on the teg.

20160703_193537_zpszmana8bv.jpg

I filled the part of the chassis i repaired with the stuff so its protected from the inside too. The stuff went everywhere and even though i covered up as best i could it was still all over my face and neck. not as bad as ive been other times with it though.

IMG-20160703-WA0012_zpsvl7aux2t.jpeg

Thats both sides done. i can now get on with refitting the suspension with the new bits and pieces ive replaced and the rebuilt calipers. Then the car will be rolling again and i can concentrate on sanding the engine bay down getting it ready to be sprayed. Then its time to rob the aerodeck of its parts.

Edited by Bean

No I want it on the road asap so I don't have to run about in this aerodeck any more. Its just getting the engine bay prepped for paint now. It will be a bit of work but hopefully if the weather is decent in the evenings I can get it sanded through the week and hopefully primed this weekend.

I think the h22 is often overlooked over the b series engines or even the k swaps are more Common now I guess. I've got a whole aerodeck vti here with 124k on it and the box is mint so I'm going to use them. I've got an obd2a to obd1 harness and a p28 I've socketed and I've my old crome map I did from my last c4 swap so I'm going to run it on that.

Have you any dc2 parts your selling Marc standard or aftermarket?

I was hoping to get my front suspension back on tonight I just hope it's not raining.

Edited by Bean