Hi all

My mechanic has just had my gearbox reconditioned by a company who fitted a Quaife LSD differential at the same time. Now he's trying to refit the box to my Glanza and he's saying the drive shafts wont fit back into either side of the gearbox. He thinks I've ordered the wrong diff. The gearbox recon people have fitted it OK, and Quaife said it's the correct part, and being a direct fit, have never had this issue reported to them.

My mechanic says the shafts are too big to go in though.

Any ideas what the issue might be? Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers!

Arnold

Hey all

Well he pushed the shaft into the box OK but it's like the teeth on the shaft don't want to go into the diff. Quaife said it can be a stiff fit, so he ended up using a lot of force to get it in, and even so, he's saying it's still not all the way there. He said he's never seen it this tough to put in before (he does gearbox changes all the time). As it stands, the shaft looks like it should still go in a few more MM each side, but it won't go any further.

The Quaife was brand new from Quaife directly, and they confirmed it was the right part! I'll get some photos up shortly.

Edited by Arnold

deffo looks like it needs another7 or 8mm to go if there not going deeper theu must be hitting something i think

use tripod gear puller and a u shaped bracket to go over cup and drill a hole in the u bar that way you can pull them out without damaging cup

Edited by 5e colin

My quaife was an absolute nightmare getting the shaft cups out of the diff. It's more than likely just a really stiff fitment, as Phil said above I also had to beat the death out of my shaft to remove it from the box, to the point where I was certain I was going to damage the aluminium gearbox case. Best way to tell if it's the clip is pull the shaft out and remove the clip, if the shaft slides all the way in then you know it's the clip causing your problem

tut tut on that if the shaft aint seated propperly then the splines open the gearbox seal leavin oil seap out amigo !!!

Sorry im imagining a quick little jaunt down a bumpy road followed by checked to see if they have worked themselves abit looser then s tap inward from the owner.

Not advocating just hoping for the best, sorry if it came across that way.

Just know how frustrating the inner circlip can be on these

Phil

When the inner clip wasn't on, he said it still had the same stiffness / resistance preventing it from going in, so he didn't think it was a clip issue.

I just want to know really if it's safe / ok to leave it as shown in the images, or should he continue bashing away to get it on further?

Edited by Arnold

Id be tempted to pull it all apart. Remove the diff and try fitting the driveshaft cups on a bench. See where the issue lies, could be a machining fault. I had one on my ZR a few years back where the angle between the splines was a couple of degrees out. Sent it back and had it checked. New one was the correct angle. No issues after.

As above, you know something isn't right, the only way to find out what is to remove it all and inspect.

A pain in the ass, but it's part of the game we play.

When the inner clip wasn't on, he said it still had the same stiffness / resistance preventing it from going in, so he didn't think it was a clip issue.

I just want to know really if it's safe / ok to leave it as shown in the images, or should he continue bashing away to get it on further?

tel him to pull the cups out kinda like i said previouse so not to damage anything then inspect the spline depth in the lsd as it might be short aslo check is the cup splines arnt fucked now after battering them in

pro mechanics would not batter parts together

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah to update the thread, I took it back to Quaife. They modified the side gears within the diff so now the shafts slide in and out with no problems at all.

What a difference it makes having this thing fitted!

Edited by Arnold