4efe to a 4efte ECU

I'm converting my 1998 n/a CD to turbo, ive got all the mechanical side of things worked out. I'm just trying to sort out the electrics. I know there's a few ways to do this....

Firstly do the Ep91 4efte ecus have an immobiliser? I.e. If I found a doner vehicle and had both looms, clocks, stalks and ecu would I need the keys and ignition barrel aswell?

Or secondly from what I've read on here Ep82 ecus don't have an immobiliser so I would just need the engine loom and ecu and then change the pin out puts of the N/A interior loom to fit the Ep82 Ecu?

im doing this to and im in the same boat, my plan is to use a GT engine loom and ECU. The car will have to be re-pinned it hard wired to the other GT connectors'.

well in my head that's the way i want it to be :)

Don't take my word but I don't think EP91 or EP82 have an immobiliser so you could use either. You could keep your standard ignition barrel but you may have to rewire a few wires to suit, same with the interior loom.

I used an EP82 ECU and engine loom when converting my EP70 to 4EFTE. I kept all the interior original including loom, ignition barrel etc, The only thing mine lacks is a speed signal to the ECU but it doesn't cause an issue. The difference being that the EP70 didn't have an ECU at all as standard.

Not very helpful I know haha

From what I've read about pin locations and looking at my N/a ecu. They're both 2 connector ecus and have very similar pinout puts.

So what I'm thinking is....the 26pin connector is the engine loom which if replacing with an 82 ECu and engine Loom will fit fine then the 16 pin connector is the interior loom which looks like the NA interior loom connector will fit the 82 ECU it will just need a few wires swapping round to the correct locations and all being well it should work.

It seems a lot easier than swapping clocks, dials and interior looms....

From what I can see in google pictures the interior loom connectors look exactly the same for 82 and the NA so fingers crossed it should be a case of just swapping a few wires.

If I've got time I'm going to document this step by step and do a 'how to guide' of everything you need and what goes where.

Glanza and UK has two different looms 96spec and 98spec. Your life will be so much easier getting the right year loom. I've a 96spec CD and 96spec glanza loom, It just plugged in under the bonnet. The dash loom from uk will not plug into a glanza ecu. You need to chop the plug off and replace it with glanza type one there are also 2 other plugs that need modified but it's not hard to do. The Glanza does not have an immobiliser you can keep the stock UK starlet key and setup untouched it won't effect it.

Ok kool that's another way to do it cheers. Just to clarify how do it tell if my cars a 96spec or 98 spec? Is it down to what year it is? Mines 1998 R reg. In my head I'm probably making this sound a lot simpler than it is. Another thing is how it would connect to the fuse box...if the 82 loom is the same as the NA loom at the fuse box end.

Edited by Budnbass

Ok I've now sourced a written off Ep82 so I'm having everything off it...engine, manifolds, turbo, exhaust, engine loom, fuse box, ecu, interior loom, clocks ect literally everything. I'm gunna try and do it the easiest way hopefully by just using the engine loom and ecu but I'll be taking photo'a the whole way through to help anyone else that's doing the conversion.

• 6 months later...

Don't take my word but I don't think EP91 or EP82 have an immobiliser so you could use either. You could keep your standard ignition barrel but you may have to rewire a few wires to suit, same with the interior loom.

I used an EP82 ECU and engine loom when converting my EP70 to 4EFTE. I kept all the interior original including loom, ignition barrel etc, The only thing mine lacks is a speed signal to the ECU but it doesn't cause an issue. The difference being that the EP70 didn't have an ECU at all as standard.

Not very helpful I know haha

I have a fully standard ep91 (1998) with immobilizer. In fact I am dealing with reprogramming it (The 24C04 EEPROM and Poniprog). So if anyone has a immoblizer box (not ECU) for sale please throw me a line. I am experimenting, results will be published here... :-)

Edited by sseabass
  • 3 years later...
On 10/25/2016 at 12:22 PM, lukEp said:

Glanza and UK has two different looms 96spec and 98spec. Your life will be so much easier getting the right year loom. I've a 96spec CD and 96spec glanza loom, It just plugged in under the bonnet. The dash loom from uk will not plug into a glanza ecu. You need to chop the plug off and replace it with glanza type one there are also 2 other plugs that need modified but it's not hard to do. The Glanza does not have an immobiliser you can keep the stock UK starlet key and setup untouched it won't effect it.

Hi. What about a ep91 4efte loom in a 1998 E111 Corolla? What do you suggest? I’m looking for diagrams to do the pin work. 

On 10/25/2016 at 9:13 PM, Budnbass said:

Ok I've now sourced a written off Ep82 so I'm having everything off it...engine, manifolds, turbo, exhaust, engine loom, fuse box, ecu, interior loom, clocks ect literally everything. I'm gunna try and do it the easiest way hopefully by just using the engine loom and ecu but I'll be taking photo'a the whole way through to help anyone else that's doing the conversion.

Dis you every do the build thread? I want to take a look! Thanks