Coil on plug help

Hello i have been looking into doing a coil on plug conversion when i get my new starlet and just after some more information. I have read somewhere that i can use Honda k20 coils ?. Also a Corrola 4EFE trigger wheel and crank sensor.

I was just wondering once the distributor is fully removed and blanked off how do you go about monitoring cam position tdc?

Any help will be much appreciated.

With an aftermarket ecu you don't have to setup new triggering unless you want to, the standard pick ups in the distributor are fine, just remove the cap/rotor and add a blanking plate. K20 coils are a good option or 2zzge coils - there are two coil variants for the 2zz, both are the same except for one is slightly larger diameter and needs to be shaved down to slide down the spark tube. Have run these many times for customers with good results.

14889770_387356018262737_133151730850990

• 3 months later...

Unless you have crank triggering already just leave the dizzy in place and use the triggering inside it (24tooth = NE pin, sync = G1 pin). Remove the rotor and making a blanking cap as you wont need them - cap it something like you can just make out in this photo

16707509_440686906262981_579042779747598

90919-02239 are the ones that need a slight shave down to fit (less than .5mm needs to be removed)

90919-02238 are the ones that fit without any mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly straight forward to do. Left to right looking at the coil connector (not the plug on the loom) the wires are ground (head/inlet), trigger from ecu, not used, 12v supply. Depending on your ecu wire then sequentially or wasted spark. Getting the tacho to work can be a bit tricky - I just change the primary resistor on the tacho PCB inside the cluster and then run it of a low level drive from the ecu (usually Links for just about all of my customers). It kinda depends on how good your ecu is.

I said above what the pins are. Depending on what ecu you have and it's capability you can either wire wasted spark (one output to coil 1&4 other to 3&4) or sequentially (one ignition output to each coil). Sequential wiring just make sure output #1 goes to cylinder #1, #2 to #2 etc, and bit to firing order. It's not possible with the stock ecu.

I said above what the pins are. Depending on what ecu you have and it's capability you can either wire wasted spark (one output to coil 1&4 other to 3&4) or sequentially (one ignition output to each coil). Sequential wiring just make sure output #1 goes to cylinder #1, #2 to #2 etc, and bit to firing order. It's not possible with the stock ecu.