So since selling the SR the plan was always to get something that can handle the mileage I now need to do as well as being a decent second car capable of stepping up when needed, good on fuel and still a bit of fun. In my opinion you can't get anything better than one of these that ticks all those boxes.

After looking at loads of MK1 VRS's around the 3k mark and realising they are all dogs for that money I found this one with two owners and 60k on the clock. The garage wanted too much for it but after some haggling it was mine. Pretty much immaculate apart from the odd little mark here and there (no where near as clean as the SR though).

7F1702E8-0C4D-4272-8126-EAD74EB304D5.jpg

I realise these aren't everyone's cup of tea and although there used to be tons of badly modified examples I think they are getting a little rarer now especially in good Condition. Pretty pleased with it so far although the stock suspension was crap- handled like a top heavy boat and the brakes literally didn't exist.

So I've fitted VMAXX coilovers myself (pig of a job) and some Audi TT 225 calipers with brembo discs. Future plans are to slowly replace any scruffy interior plastics, mk2 fabia vrs interior and then I'll start looking at power. It goes pretty well already though and feels quicker than 130. Pretty much going to behave with this though and save up to hopefully some day either get my old gt-four back or some sort of big project.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Pikey009

Thanks, it's only the second car so doesn't need to be that big but bigger than the SR and 5 door. All seems fine on it at the moment.

Yeh it's pretty nippy already but I'll probably head towards 180 ish and stop there. I think I'll save up for a stealth central fmic and egr delete to go with the map. I'll also have the money ready for an updated dmf and clutch as they won't be far behind with the extra torque.

Yeah 180bhp is plenty for the road with them. The torque is really nice on them.

Thanks....She was a gem alright. The heated seats were pretty lush too.

The steelies were a bit like marmite....they were cool....but much preferred the original wheels like yours and the octavia 17s :)

I'll see if I can dig some better pics out for you:

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/72635-noob-from-the-ole-skool-days/?hl=noob

Sold it to a mate a few years back to go travelling.....it sits in a heated garage for the best part of a year and has a b18c in it now. Only car I ever regret selling!

Ha ha I know that feeling, the guy who bought my gt4 didn't look after it but I got the chance to sell it on for him to Bean on here who's pretty much restored it, it too sits tucked away most of the time. Massively regret selling it and will hopefully get it back one day.

Always loved the ek9's, the old jap stuff is going up in value now. Yeh I love the stock wheels to be honest, they suit the car well. I'll stop at around 180 by if the turbo ever dies I'll go for a hybrid of some sort.

• 1 month later...

No massive updates really- re sealed the rear doors as they're bad for leaking and they'd destroyed the door cards so fitted some new ones. Cars been fully laser aligned now too. I'm still saving for the new seats but they're £400! Plus bloody postage.

D26D5D43-F68D-40D2-8FC2-87E4A7DEC61E.png

• 2 months later...

Well the gt didn't fair too well but me and the cooper s were about even which isn't bad considering mines completely stock. Also managed 60.2 mpg last weekend on a run up north without even trying.

The gt must be poorly so will be looking in to that

Most people with standard cars get them dynod and find they're between 130 and 150 to be honest and I think it's towards 150. As far as I know it's standard and if it was mapped I'd expect it to easily pull on the cooper. It was defiantly trying as it's my mates- we were dead even. His is the early 163 though.

lol are you sure?- thought they were only 107bhp and about the same on tourque?

Yup.. from low speeds to around 70 ish. Probably 400-500 kg weight difference. They aren't really a sporty car the vrs. The 2.0tdi is 140hp and is used in many mundane 'family' wagons and outpowers the 1.9 in a 'hottish' hatch.

lol we've got a mk5 golf 140 as the family bus and the vrs wipes the floor with it to be honest. Not really sure how you can say it's not a sporty car, it's bags of fun especially with the new brakes and suspension. Have you driven one that's been tweaked? After a map it'll be a proper little weapon and I'll be getting even more mpg so I'm happy either way.

I know what you're saying about the diesels but it's mainly effecting cities etc which I rarely go near. Plus if they start to die out then it'll be a rare car so I'll be keeping it and see how things go.