keep EP91 or Buy EVO 8/9

keep EP91 vs buy EVO 8/9  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You will get further and faster in a ep :p

Evo9 rs is the closest thing that gave me ‘that feeling’ you can get in a ep. The seating and the steering wheel position is very much like a ep as is the sensation of acceleration and speed too. However ‘that feeling’ in the ep is still higher. You cannot beat the adrenaline rush and the shivers that it can give after a mad drive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's all part of the reason the ep is such a nice car...the massive adrenaline rush

i was hoping the 4wd blast/push would be even more incredible...but i suppose unless you up the power then its a heavier car to lug around

i know people with modded evos and stis...but that's not the avenue i want to go down

finding a stock evo owner locally that is WILLING to take me for a short drive may be quite the task...i've only seen about 2 that look stock on this island and very seldom do i see them

yeah, it does seem to be a natural progression from the starlet....i really can't see any other car that i'd consider selling the ep91 for at the moment.

i agree, the exhaust note is lovely...lol

with regards to drive train fragility...when you say launches?---are you only referring to a standing launch?

how about moving driving off and the quickly flooring it?...does this cause transfer case and differential issues too?

getting rolling then flooring it should be fine, it's just standing launches can break things if done too often. same with most 4WD cars though to be honest,

it's not that you shouldn't do them, it's you shouldn't do them too often ;)

the evo has 2 step built in so will hold the revs at 5.5k if you floor it in neutral, so it's not like it's not designed to get off the line quick :}

even the votes are relatively close for either option... :D

Ask on a evo forum lol and see the difference

even the votes are relatively close for either option... :D

Again my friend has had his box fettled with we suspect.

But I cannot iterate enough how much he drives his 5 like he stole it. He absolutely munches the box. If this were a Pulsar it would have been dead on the way home. I am not exaggerating when I say how much he trashes the gearbox, flatout gear changes barely lifting from the throttle. Cold, Warm, rolling or standing still.

No problems as of yet.

However the evo four RS transfer box has died, he doesn't drive that. That is owned by a mature owner and is completely standard. So I've seen both sides.

lolol...i'm sure we'd not get too many votes in favor of the starlet----maybe the odd past starlet owner who now owns an evo

Again my friend has had his box fettled with we suspect.

But I cannot iterate enough how much he drives his 5 like he stole it. He absolutely munches the box. If this were a Pulsar it would have been dead on the way home. I am not exaggerating when I say how much he trashes the gearbox, flatout gear changes barely lifting from the throttle. Cold, Warm, rolling or standing still.

No problems as of yet.

However the evo four RS transfer box has died, he doesn't drive that. That is owned by a mature owner and is completely standard. So I've seen both sides.

that's just amazing how both turn out....monster driver, box is working great (for now...lol)......while mature driver with T/box issues

seems life is not really fair lol

Yeah but they are both 20 year old cars with unknown history.

Matthews Evo may have just a rebuild before leaving Japan. The ratios are definitely not GSR.

The RS may have been thrashed in Japan and was hanging before it landed in the UK.

Matthew had a White GSR before that. And he was constantly telling me the box was about to let go, but this car was absolute dog and had much more miles on the clock. We saw it last year at a meet still a dog, but still going.

Like said transfer boxes can be an issue if you have a dump the clutch launch. If you take the slack out of the 4wd system and launch them they are fine.

5-speed RS boxes can take a hammering, they're happy to 600odd bhp unlike the 6-speeds.

i'm positive the 5 speed is stronger too...similar to the sti, levin, etc...as its an attempt to fit 6 gears and 5 gears into a "fixed" space,,,so 6 speed gears are usually thinner

but i'm just wondering how strong the 6 speed actually is before it starts to become jelly

that's a fair bit of power either way....far more than i'd be wanting, as the plan is to keep it fairly stockish (intake, exhaust and suspension as mentioned previously)....so with those mods, i'd guess around 300/325bhp is what i'd be after

so either gearbox would suit my needs it appears

honestly, i dont think that will be enough power. to get the 'powerful starlet' feel, you're looking around 350-400bhp. that is achievable with bolt on mods and a remap :)

honestly, i dont think that will be enough power. to get the 'powerful starlet' feel, you're looking around 350-400bhp. that is achievable with bolt on mods and a remap :)

thanks dub-se7en

when you say "bolt on mods" what exactly do you mean over and above my proposed mods (exhaust and intake)?

Induction kit, exhaust, fuel pump and 3 port boost solenoid with remap will make 400bhp & 400ft/lbs. To get anymore you ideally need to change the turbo.

that's simple enough...i just don't want a case of selling the starlet to get out of the modding game,,,then to get an evo and end right back up in the same modding game ---turbos, manifolds, standalones, LSDs, etc

You are kidding yourself on if you think you aint gonna mod an Evo!

that's simple enough...i just don't want a case of selling the starlet to get out of the modding game,,,then to get an evo and end right back up in the same modding game ---turbos, manifolds, standalones, LSDs, etc

You are kidding yourself on if you think you aint gonna mod an Evo!

trust me...if i get one, it will simply be only those mild mods i mentioned

i suppose a big part of me has grown away from it all over the years, but i do appreciate a decent sporty car :D