Hillclimb / Sprint Glanza build

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Mike84 said:

I've done another 2 races since last post including a few more issues mainly gearbox woes due to using unknown condition old boxes:sad:

Most gearbox's these days have most likely had triple the power put through them it's all wear n tear down the line

• 1 month later...

Last race of the season has been and gone so long overdue update required :)

Last race was a sprint local to myself using a go kart track which is one of my favourites

Screenshot-20181203-231659.jpg

Screenshot_20181203-231741.jpg

It was a good track to get a feel for the new spring setup and extra power with the new turbo . It was a 2 day event and my main competition was the usual clan of clios in our class :)

The car went well over both days but was mainly struggling with wheel spin as the quaife diff was struggling with the twisty infield . But in general the car went fautlessly apart from lack of grip :D

It was pretty neutral handling wise but tended to nicely oversteer with a slight lift off and drove nicely on the throttle. I left with a 5th out of 14 on the Saturday and claimed 4th of 13 on the Sunday just out of the trophys and finished with a spin in torrential rain on the final run. But loved every minute and starting to get a feel of the handling. I've left with a list for winter upgrades:thumbsup:

Pic of me trying to hard 

FB-IMG-1543959671683.jpg

FB-IMG-1543959702376.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Winter upgrades in progress :yahoo:

Gearbox casing was blasted via tiny ball bearings after I had spent 4hrs cleaning all the grime off it.

It's being rebuilt with new Kaaz plate diff and new synchros along with new bolts for casing etc as my OCD kicked in lol

20181214_164527.jpg

20181217_133006.jpg

20181214_164550.jpg

20181214_164511.jpg

These will be a spare set of front wheels a bit heavy but swapped for other old wheels I had

20181219_181759.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well update time!!!

Been a while so long overdue an update , the cars been tucked up all winter with no gearbox fitted due to other commitments.  However car was dragged out beginning of May and set about fitting gearbox with plate diff in preparation for it's first hillclimb in May. After a hectic couple of weeks I had a working car with new mot and tax. 

Sent away for my new msa licence and all was go 😎

What a difference with the plate diff compared to the Atb diff previously fitted!

New Extreme tyres probably helped a lot from the 2 year old tyres I had previously used

20190518-121401.jpg

Surrounded by my main competition itb clio's 😁

It's one of my local hillclimbs and with 10 in my class a good battle was to be had.  It was a 2 day event over Saturday and Sunday.

It was challenging on the Saturday due to it raining all day and found it hard to stop wheel spin but was learning each run resulting in 4th in class

Sunday proved to be completely different with sunshine and a drying track . Track improved all day leaving the last run the one that would count . Resulting with the starlets first ever trophy and me very pleased with 2nd in class of the 10

20190520_180427.jpg

A few small mods before next race involved a higher pressure radiator cap and larger expansion tank. To try to stop it spitting out coolant after a hard run.

20190524_181626.jpg

Next event involved a trip further north to golspie in the highlands 

Always a great track which involved 2 different track layouts changing from Saturday to Sunday's race.

Usual class entry mostly clios but a few others inc a well specced Honda ep3 on itb 

20190601_180712.jpg

Good entry in class of 10 again so plenty to battle with. Usually I would be battling my Auldman in his clio too , however he had gearbox issues. Leaving me to offer him a double drive in my car 😁

So the starlet would be getting twice the abuse over the weekend.

Saturday was dry thankfully and car seemed pretty planted but a bit understeery.  Throughout the day we played with damper settings and tyre pressures and dialled out a lot of understeer . Resulting in the Auldman pipping me to 2nd leaving me in 3rd but hey I'll take that. Sunday was a different story soaking wet leaving interesting conditions. After our first runs we pushed more with our second runs , me possibly too much resulting with a trip into the grass and tyres leaving my braking slightly too late but no damage apart from a timing strut.

FB_IMG_1560804286437.jpg

Ending the day trying to rebuild my confidence ending up 4th missing 3rd place by 9 hundredths of a second. But on a plus note the Auldman took the starlets first win by almost half a second 

So ending the weekend with a 1st 2nd and 3rd trophy

It did show up that rear arb required before next race which is the end of June

Edited by Mike84

Well mid season upgrades before the next race💪

After a bit of research with the rear Anti rollbars avaliable for the starlet nothing really seemed to fit my OCD 

Not saying there's anything wrong with the avaliable kits but didn't fit exactly what I wanted. 

As I wanted adjustable positions (for wet/dry settings) and and a hollow ARB (For weight)

So set about looking for something I could adapt from another car. Then as it happens my main competition (clio's) had the ideal setup with a tweak. 

From a company called Pure motorsport a well known Renault motorsport parts supplier . So after measuring the auldmans one he had fitted I took the plunge and ordered a clio part to fit my Toyota to try and beat clio's 🙈

After some tweaking , machining we have a new custom rear arb hope it helps

20190613_180651.jpg

20190617-182231.jpg

20190613_183240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small modification before the next race this weekend . Involved changing out the adjustable height steering column to a fixed column. As at some of the events i found the column liked to loosen and move up and down after some spirited runs , leaving me constantly check lever was in the locked position not ideal. So found standard starlet column is a direct fit and I think slightly lighter too win win :thumbsup:

20190626_073835.jpg

20190626_073821.jpg

14 hours ago, TrisK said:

Are your events MSA regulated?

If so what class are you in? Modified Production?

Yeah they are regulated by the MSA.

I'm in Saloon cars 1400cc to 2000cc class 

• 3 months later...

Update!!!!!!

First problem was what size of supercharger to go for?

After a lot of research and advice the decision was  the c30-94 with power rating 250 -400bhp

This was ordered and arrived promptly to allow other problems to be solved including

1. Positioning

2. Pulley / belt size 

3. Belt tensioner and mounting bracket setup

4. Intercooler setup

5. Exhaust manifold / 4 branch

20190821-132418.jpg

20190823-183953.jpg

On 10/30/2019 at 11:57 AM, Patches said:

Amazing man, love the fact your going with the supercharger. Really interested to see how this works out for you.

Cheers 

I'm excited and nervous to see what sort of results 

Small part of the puzzle almost ticked off , involving the exhaust manifold . I wanted it to be larger than the current obx manifolds.

So went about piecing one together after purchasing 1.75' mandrel bends for primarys and a 4 to 1 collector opening upto 2.5"

Now I'm no expert at this but tried to keep them all pretty equal length

20190917_181920.jpg

20190925_165632.jpg

20190927_173441.jpg

20190927_173452.jpg

20190927_175507.jpg

20190927_175528.jpg

3 hours ago, snails ep91 said:

this will be interesting. look forward to seeing this progress.

can you please post vids and info of once its up and running?!

what was the decision for supercharger? im assuming response?

Yeah sure will 

There was a few reasons for the style of tracks I run

1. Response was key even tho the current setup was great and spooled quick , it used to drop off boost 1st to 2nd change

2. I found 64 ft times were hard to be consistent and was a battle between bogging down or lighting up in the dry let alone wet

3. Wet conditions were difficult to modulate wheel spin and supercharger should allow me to throw it up gears 

So hoping it sorts all of the above problems 😁