Struggling to set timing! Help!

So over the winter i've been doing some work on my starlet head ready for the 2018 race season. 

Ported, polished and head skim.

I've recently put it all back together with new cam belt. Crank Pulley is all lined up at 0 on the cover. and the cam shafts are aligned correctly. Dots are facing each other and the cams are pointing the right way etc.

It all runs but i've put the timing light on it today and now matter how far I turn the dizzy I can only seem to get a max of about 2 - 3 degrees. Im at the end of the Distributor travel. 

Someones mentioned to me that I should have re-tensioned the inlet cam as I forgot to put the service bolt in. But I can't see how this would effect the timing? As the dizzy is driven of the exhaust cam and adjusting the tension the inlet cam won't adjust the actual dizzy timing?? But I maybe wrong? 

I'm going to go back and re-tension the inlet cam anyway. 

Does anyone have experience of this or can shed light on why i'd be so far out on the timing? Base is 10 degrees I believe and I can't get to that as dizzy runs out of adjustment. 

Cheers 

Jay

Having looked at the timing of 4efte to try and diagnose a problem I have, should not the Crank be lined up with the 10° mark at the start, not 0?

Also were the diagnostic pins bridged? 

I'm by no means an expert so worth checking on the Crank marking but this is what I have understood... 

Just now, hopalong_neil said:

Having looked at the timing of 4efte to try and diagnose a problem I have, should not the Crank be lined up with the 10° mark at the start, not 0?

Also were the diagnostic pins bridged? 

I'm by no means an expert so worth checking on the Crank marking but this is what I have understood... 

No crank should always be TDC 0 when lining up the cams. But base timing is 10. 

Diagnostic Pins bridged too. No engine codes.

I think we have found the problem. One tooth out on the cam side as it wasn't very clear.

Fixed.

Turns out I was one tooth out on the exhaust cam. Dots look lined up even with one tooth out. 

All fixed and timed up now. Little bit of white smoke but hoping its just condensation as cars been sat for 6 months.