This is the build thread for my ep91 uk spec starlet which shall eventually be built into a pretty decent spec glanza.

I shall write an in-depth build on it but for now i shall just include a before and after pic of how i bought it
and how it currently sits over a year later.

5acd322096444_IMG_0004(2).JPG.1a189db48b

IMG_3253.thumb.JPG.dbbcd68d65a63ebcc77c7

Edited by Ryan.Truesdale
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_0062.thumb.JPG.6dd600c869b2c630ddbab

The car after being straightened. The front was fitted just to make sure everything still lined up properly. As the radiator support and headlight mount had to be replaced as they were tweaked too. 

IMG_0499.JPG

Edited by Ryan.Truesdale

Suspension time! The front wishbones received a fresh set of polybuses and were repainted with hammerite black. I managed to source a very cheap set of lowering springs, rear shocks and new front shocks. I fitted a glanza antiroll bar and polybushed droplinks. New ball joints and trackrod ends were fitted also. I got the brake discs skimmed and put a fresh set of brake pads in along with a set of braided brake lines. 

IMG_1030.thumb.JPG.89657f7b89cc693bb04a9

Pictures of the engine bay after completion. I fitted a half size double core radiator. I made and welded on my own mounts and then ordered up a fresh set of hoses for it. Also picked up front and rear Cusco strut braces. Fitted a catch can also. 

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

I was originally only going to put a steel exhaust on but I was convinced otherwise as you can see. This was custom made using 2" stainless pipe and v-band flanges. The small silencer is actually from an evo however it looks a lot like a cat so we put it up near the front. 

The pictures of the back box are recent ones. 

It actully sounds pretty damn good I was very concerned that it would sound like a Corsa or a 1.4 civic. 

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

Drained the engine of oil. Of which there was about a pint of.... oh dear. I knew the engine was burning oil but I didn't quite realise how much. This was within 3 weeks of me getting the car finished. I was actually surprised that I was actually quite calm and not really that annoyed about it blowing up, it was more an inconvenience than anything else. 

IMG_1636.JPG

Decided I'd pull the engine apart see what damage had been done and possibly rebuild it. This was the first time I ever took an engine apart (and it wouldn't be the last). 

There was a stupid amount of oil in the intake, some actually can out of the manifold as I took it off.

The pistons were black with oil and the sump was full of what was left of the bearings.  Then to top it off a bent conrod! 

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

Decided I was going to rebuild it as there was no damage to the block. So I  sent the crank to get polished and got oversized bearings to match it. But could I find a conrod? Nope. 

I then ended up just buying an engine. This new one supposedly only had 80.000 miles and came from a granny's car but I had no proof.

So I took a gamble on it... bad decision LoL 

IMG_1654.JPG

Brought my new engine home and again stripped it down gave it a bit of paint and fitted my Corolla intake and the black rocker cover. Then threw it in and it started up after 3 or 4 cranks. Happy days! 

IMG_1823.JPG

I drove it for a week with no issues then serviced it. 

Nearly immediately after servicing it. Smoke lots and lots and lots of smoke. Another engine that burnt a tone of oil!

Edited by Ryan.Truesdale

I took the car to japfest in Ireland at Mondello. I didn't plan on it being in the show section but it meant I got in cheaper so why not. 

IMG_2055.thumb.JPG.f2f9ea755c35ad456942c

I ended up parked beside a GTR also not where I planned to be LoL   

On the other side of it was Hookie's wee glanza probably the quickest one in Northern Ireland it has a built 5e good for over 400hp. The gearboxes aren't keen on it though. 

Edited by Ryan.Truesdale

I had to do something about the amount of oil being burnt as it got to the point that if I drove it too college and home (45 mile round trip) there would be no oil on the dipstick. The smoke out of it was embarrassing! 

I had already got a full gasket kit as I had planned on rebuilding the old engine. In it there was valve stem seals so I decided I would do them in the head of the blown up engine and then swap the heads over at the weekend. 

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.7375a3f9eb84e1b5f37d1

Edited by Ryan.Truesdale

Halloween holidays 2017 I pulled the engine too bits again head off, sump off, bearing caps off and pistons out. I was getting good at this! I could now have the head off within an hour. 

IMG_2080.thumb.JPG.ef80cad1446e2e544a6e6

My problem was piston rings and a lack of oil return ports in the pistons.

from memory there was either two or 3 broken rings and all the ports in the pistons had been clogged up with old lumpy, shitty oil. 

So I ordered new rings and a set of bearings, I gave the block a quick hone up and down twice on each cylinder just to take the shine off. 

Between myself and my dad we had it rebuilt within a week 2 nights of striping it, ordered the parts and then a day of building. 

Managed to get the timing slightly wrong when rebuilding it. Which resulted in it just piping and banging like a wrc car and not really going anywhere. However we got it fixed quite quickly and things seemed to be going well, only time would tell.