Biggie Smalls, the saga so far

Wasn't going to bother starting a project thread as I wasn't planning on doing too much to the Glanza but keep needing to do bits and pieces to it so figured I might as well make a thread then I can keep a track of everything I've done.

Anyway here it is when I picked it up, just before getting on the ferry back to Scotland in November last year.

PosoBOC.jpg

After a couple of days the heater crapped out on me, which meant instant foggy windscreen. Managed to keep it going a few days by battering the blower motor every time I needed to use the car but when I had time I took it out and opened it up to find 20 years of build up and the brushes worn out completely. Ordered similar sized brushes off ebay, cleaned out all the crap and soldered in the new brushes and now the fan works at all speeds and clears the windscreen. Could do with being more powerful, not sure if that's just the way they are but it does the job.

hpYbhRK.jpg

aVXCen0.jpg

Anyway shortly after that the CV boot tore itself apart and I replaced that with a universal once to get me through then I went on holiday in January and when I came back all the brake fluid had drained itself out of the car. Tracked it down to the fact that there were stainless washers used on the banjo bolts on the front calipers, I also noticed the inner cv boot was ripped so I parked it up and got on with other things. It's only this past week I've managed to start looking at the glanza again. I've been collecting parts so now it's a case of sorting all the problems and hopefully I'll not have any major issues with it.

While it was doing nothing I sent the wheels to be powder coated.

K4iw01I.jpg

nSkpkhO.jpg

Refurbing rear brakes

Before

1fjl2z9.jpg

UveSWB2.jpg

aGieXkK.jpg

After

6u9ywSL.jpg

f5cFahD.jpg

Driver's door sagged quite badly so bought decent hinges off someone on ebay. Much improvement.

gGJA7DB.jpg

Then today I decided to try and sort some of the rust that was around the rear right wheel arch and on the door step so took the side skirt off and found some not so great metal.

YcsiYBe.jpg

hnPHY1n.jpg

0dAqdlo.jpg

7q9jWty.jpg

t4VlnQR.jpg

So that's where I'm at the now, I'm still doing the rear right brakes and have ordered fiesta sills to sort my rust problem. I've not checked the left side sill yet. I've also not sorted my inner cv boot yet but ordered 2 proper outer cv boots and 2 inner cv boots so I'm going to remove the driveshafts and do them. There is also oil leaking out where the driveshafts go into the box so going to replace those seals and put new gearbox oil into the box. The wiring is pretty horrendous, lots of bodgy connectors and black tape covering up wires twisted together so going through them and doing it properly.

Bonus pics

58p7FOn.jpg

VDnG7la.jpg

qhtFadA.jpg

JjL8uLa.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotten luck about the sill man. If these cars have been over here long enough it can happen to them!
Such a shame youve had nothing but bad luck so far too, these cars are usually pretty good.

Rear brakes look great now! Keep it up!

To be fair this car has been over here for over 10 years so can't complain too much, I own classic minis so I'm no stranger to rust either.

I think the car might have been sat for a couple of years at some point and that's why all the rubber is now cracking and breaking. So should be good to go once that's all been replaced, as lomg as the engine and gearbox stay sweet I'll be happy.

Cheers, yeah the rear brakes have come up a treat, the dust shield had a lil rust so I just cut the bad metal out but that section is covered by the mounting bracket so I welded it in place. I used weld through primer and etch primer to try and keep the rust at bay for the future. The slider pins were absolute solid so had to hammer them out but after a bit of work, a decent bit of red grease they now move nice and smooth again.

Right hand side brakes done, just need to hook up the new brake lines and that will be them done.

FB2gwxS.jpg

Found this led strip poke away in the boot, same the other side and I'm also sure theres a light above the backbox of the exhaust. I have no idea what the person that installed it was thinking.

DEGHKKv.jpg

fECUPto.jpg

The wiring is pish, I'm going back to 96 spec rear lights so need to find someone to sell me the wiring plus connector for the rear lights so I can rewire it properly.

atpumpB.jpg

How much bud? I'm needing an assortment of odds and sods like an interior light for middle of the roof, and the panel the leccy window switch sits in on the passenger door and leccy window switch panel.

On 6/5/2018, 5:08:21, jellybaby said:

whoop another starlet with the reg ending with rap lol  my reg is n361rap

Haha it was actually a pretty big selling point when I bought the car, love the irish plates. Wonder how their system works with the numbering?

Not done much to the car today, started stripping out the front suspension ready to refurb the bits. Finished of the rear brakes, this is how I've done the rear brake lines had to get a male to male connector to join the two piece braided brake lines together.

BkDlKAk.jpg

Also this came in the mail today, levin twin pot brakes. Need to find out what size slider pins I need as it didn't come with them and also order discs and pads but not sure whether to buy st202 carriers to fit bigger discs or stick with 245mm astra discs since the carriers have been notched for clearance anyway.

Q9bF1B3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update as I've been busy working on my mini but have got most of the front suspension bits out and had to order a pry bar so I can try and get the driveshafts out so waiting on that coming.

ONGH664.jpg

Cheers bud, it's slow going the now just because I'm busy with other things but did manage to get the driveshafts out so getting there.

All the suspension off on both sides on the front.

90Wyj5F.jpg

Stripped shocks

HyyPdfj.jpg

Dust cover for shocks, can't seem to locate a set of replacements. Have sent febest an email as it looks like they made them but the website is saying they are out of stock.

603KKna.jpg

Bought a proper fog light switch as it was an aftermarket one that came with car.

aLwRE9u.jpg

What interior light do I need? I've bought 2 now and they are both the same. Too small, so don't fill the gap.

99RUhU2.jpg

Possible colour change

Mkfyexr.jpg

On 6/24/2018, 2:52:16, Jay85 said:

Have loved reading this thread! Loving the possible new colour too! 

Cheers mate, still a lot of bodywork to sort out first and a lot of other things as well but hopefully next year I'll be able to get her resprayed.

Not done much, the heat is unreal and have been busy doing other things so I've not been anywhere near the glanza in a few days. Front and rear anti-rollbar showed up from tuning developments along with an antilift kit and droplinks.

MB3UaZO.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well you might get there before me with the rate I'm getting on with stuff. Only managed to do some bits today to the glanza, found some good bits and bad bits. Like the looms for the rear lights weren't hacked up like I thought, I didn't realize the plugs for them were behind the boot panels lol so that was good but the rust under the boot seal is really bad so I've treated it with rust treatment now and I'll need to wire brush it and paint it to protect it.

jI35ZmK.jpg

5EabjDn.jpg

Sprayed my wishbones and driveshafts in that blue, mostly to see how it looks as I don't expect them to hold up. Will probably just hammerite all the other components.

ICgMU6h.jpg

A0AFtYE.jpg

And bought better headlights.

b6eL7gf.jpg

Finally got my hands on the last big thing I wanted for the glanza, a set of front and rear recaros for it. They're in pretty good condition so pretty happy with them, the threads on the bolts that hold them in place are pretty naff so gonna get replacements and probably bin the red carpet so haven't bothered to bolt them down and I can't fit the rears as it's full of parts at the moment.

XFZnbW1.jpg

Fb mate, I'm on like 3 different glanza groups and check them pretty often. Only slightly annoying thing is a set came up that looked in nicer condition and if I hadn't already pestered that guy about those ones I would have jumped on them. Oh well these are in pretty good condition, the recaro lettering is missing on passenger seat and a very small hole is on it as well but you need to look for it to see it so all in all I'm happy.

One of my fog lights is in pretty bad shape, not sure if I'll be able to fix it or I'm better off looking for another one. Don't have the money the now to buy one so will try and fix it.

gzLbg2L.jpg

Wired in a more OE looking rear fog light switch.

sOYT1gD.jpg

And started bolting the front suspension back together, forgot I had an antilift kit to install so had to take the wishbones off again to put it on. I've got axle stands where the front arb is bolted to so once the rest of the suspension is in place and I can put wheels on I'll put ramps under the wheels and replace the arb with my new one.

cOvojVp.jpg

Yeah I love my mini, recently fitted a supercharger to it but it doesn't feel as quick as I think it should be so trying to get to the bottom of that but still awesome to jump in and drive.

I decided to fix the rear looms that came with the car instead of using the uncut looms I bought because I didn't want to start hacking the untouched loom up.

QzquKbV.jpg

wVxWjU1.jpg

Much better then how the looms were.

SHyE2ra.jpg

ntXSHO1.jpg

Headlights on

Y8kLiyg.jpg

Foglight on

Xcb7aXm.jpg

Edited by SpoonalTap