TF035 4cm² vs 6cm²

What's the score with TF035's, I've done a lot of searching but there's just random bits of information thrown around and no clear answers.

I'm currently on a CT9 hybrid running 0.9 bar, standard internals, apparently 200bhp. Aiming for 230ish bhp.
Don't really want to go TD04 as I'd rather not push it too hard on standard internals and it seems a bit pointless using a TD04 when TF035's can still make ~230 bhp but spool quicker.

Has anyone got any dyno graphcs or any info on 4cm² vs 6cm² and spool times and peak power etc...? A lot of posts on here are just "I've got this and it's the best turbo ever" but what I want to know is which version is actually better suited for 230-240bhp, obviously the 6cm² is going to flow more but is the response gained from the 4cm² housing the reason why people rave about these turbos so much?
Has anyone gone from a CT9 hybrid to a TF035?

Edited by ste91

no dyno sheets kid just my ass on the road the 4cm is suited for 4efte stock intake as it shokes above 7500  with my acis manifold i use the 6 cm back housing rev the shits to 8200 6cm/19t  

these turbos are great as they run cooler then a ct9 hybrid ( tiny back housing / hot zone shocking zone ) compared to tfo35hm

The best turbo suited for that power is the TD04L. The spool time is fine, top end is a bonus. It depends on how healthy the engine is as to what you may make, seen it a thousand times. Torque can be just as important as power with some turbo's aswell. From what I can see from the past is everyone that has gone up the power ladder done this and that then either went back to a ct9 or wish they never went past 300 lol

1 hour ago, Gainzy said:

The best turbo suited for that power is the TD04L. The spool time is fine, top end is a bonus. It depends on how healthy the engine is as to what you may make, seen it a thousand times. Torque can be just as important as power with some turbo's aswell. From what I can see from the past is everyone that has gone up the power ladder done this and that then either went back to a ct9 or wish they never went past 300 lol

I would almost put money on a 220-230ish tf035 glanza being quicker than a TD04 one at 240.TF035 is a great turbo

Has anyone gone from a hybrid CT9 to a TF035HM 6cm²? Spotted one yesterday and bought it, it was a bit of an impulse buy but it was at the right price and looks to be in good condition, if there's no shaft play then I'll easily be able to sell it back on for what I paid so nothing to lose anyway.

I am currently running a ct12 hybrid but am thinking a tf035 would be better suited . I'm very interested in the difference in spool between the 4cm and 6cm? As I'm looking for a turbo sized for 230-240bhp for a sprint hillclimb car.

Has anyone got any boost v rpm plots off the dyno for any of the turbo's mentioned above, rather than just feels like x rpm / spool etc?

Be good if we could actually start getting a good database together so they can all be compared. Much like the BHP leader board, but based on spool times instead.

3 hours ago, Socks said:

Hey @RobSR its here:

Only basic mind, data collected from power leaderboard, and many variables at play here other then just turbocharger.
But you can see the patterns we already knew.

GT30 is too big, the best turbo back then was GTX2860R. Which takes some beating!

Thanks mate, however that is just power not spool! Maybe ill have to start making one if i can find some peoples dyno plots that have the boost curves on.

Yeh this is power not actual spool. Not all graphs have boost plots on them. That being said, this does have a pretty direct relation.

If you do knock something up, id be happy to put it in the Wiki :) Maybe we should get someone to sponsor an experiment testing all the favourite turbos.

I've got a couple i can do once I have got our car running, spool is a funny one as it also depends on your ECU PID control and your mapper.

Your Race-Tech graph has boost on however, and i think i found another but i couldnt remember the chaps name who had the 450 odd bhp one from there, so there is some points to start from. :)

Turbo turned up yesterday, got it for a decent price on ebay and it's in very good condition. TF035HM 6cm² from a Forester.

Does anyone know the exact spec of the compressor wheel on these? Usually they're in the name i.e. TD04L-13T-6 but there's no compressor wheel code on the TF.

Got a few other bits to sort out first and then it'll be fitted and mapped, hoping to make 230-240bhp.

• 1 year later...

Following this, i know of a lad on the colt owners site I'm on that ran a tf035 he used a tdo4 13t compressor housing and wheel on a tf035 exhaust housing and a tdo4l 11blade exhaust turbine. The thing was 1 hell of a turbo no lad and made power till redline. He ran a large external gate also. 

Do any of you lads have any graphs with setups please.

Edited by Sam44

Can't believe I posted this in 2018 and still not got the TF035 fitted! A lot of delays on various bits and pieces and now delayed by the virus but got some nice parts ready to fit, ceramic coated WEPR kit, ME221 ECU plus some upgraded sensors, new fuel pump and pressure regulator along with 370cc injectors. Looking forward to getting it done just hope the old 4EFTE holds up afterwards lol..

Edited by ste91
3 hours ago, ste91 said:

Can't believe I posted this in 2018 and still not got the TF035 fitted! A lot of delays on various bits and pieces and now delayed by the virus but got some nice parts ready to fit, ceramic coated WEPR kit, ME221 ECU plus some upgraded sensors, new fuel pump and pressure regulator along with 370cc injectors. Looking forward to getting it done just hope the old 4EFTE holds up afterwards lol. 

Thanks for the reply, and spec list keep us updated if possible i can't find many tfo35 4e graphs. 

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry to bump the post but anyone have any idea how to source the 4cm turbine housing? i was looking around many place on Google but could not find any. What model of subaru does it comes from. Hope there is someone who can share the info. 

Thanks

Wan

• 9 months later...