Bahnstormers EP91 revival....

So, thought I'd document the progress with the Glanza.  

First up, a little history on the car.  The car used to belong to my sister, she bought the car from a private seller on Hayling Island, but surprisingly there was no rust anywhere on it.  Aside from a few scuffs and dings, it was a nice, honest car which ran and drove well.  Over the course of a couple of years she spent quite a bit of money keeping the car maintained and adding her own little touches to it to make it her own.  It was originally a bluey/silver colour but she had it sprayed in VW Natural Grey and had the wheels refurbed in white.  She fitted the late spec interior and front bumper and generally kept the car spotless.  After a couple of years she decided to sell it to fund something a little bigger that she could ferry the kids around in and use for family holidays etc.  Under new ownership, the car was neglected and ended up in a pretty sorry state.  The body is covered in scratches, both bumpers are damaged (I may be able to repair the front bumper - we'll see) and the car wasn't serviced.

Then, I had the opportunity to get hold of it and bring it back to life!  So, £500 later, here we are now......

This is the car when I got it.  I'm sure you'll agree, something doesn't look right.....

20180625_175549.jpg

That's not supposed to look like that....

20180625_175537.jpg

Yep, the drivers side had taken a fairly hefty whack into a curb.  I didn't take any photos of it, but fortunately it only required a new lower arm and was good as new again, although it does now need the alignment doing, but I'll get around to that once the car is on the road again.

The second port of call was the interior.  This was absolutely minging.  Covered in mouldy old food and general crap, it stank.  So, it was removed.

20180805_104552.jpg

20180805_104545.jpg

Those pictured only show part of the removal, in reality everything bar the dash has come out.  I've pressure washed the seats and carpets and everything else has been put through the washing machine, so the smell is 10 times better now.  I just have the headlining still to do but that's about it.  Oh, it needs a new steering wheel, the original one is being sent off for scientific testing....

While the interior was out, I decided to take care of something that has always annoyed me about the car.  It used to have one of those underslung rear fog lights under the bumper.  The car is low enough as it is without adding something else to smack on speed bumps, so I removed it and relocated the fog light to the drivers side reverse light.  Much tidier I think! (Both lights are on in this pic as I was checking everything still worked). 

20180715_180116.jpg

After I'd done that, I gave the old girl a wash.  It came up pretty nice, but there is a defect with the paint on the bonnet - funnily enough, that same defect was there before the car was painted.

20180714_192617.jpg

Washing the car emphasised how manky the headlamps had gone, so I gave them the treatment with some Megs headlight restorer and my orbital polisher. (Pic is halfway through).  I also gave the car a full service, mainly for my own peace of mind.  I'm glad I did as when I removed the sump drain plug, NOTHING came out.  The sump was absolutely dry.  The coolant reservoir was also empty.  So, after some fresh oil and filter, new plugs, new coolant and fuel filter, it runs beautifully again.

20180805_123146.jpg

So, that's where I'm at as of today.  No doubt I'll be watching the classifieds like a hawk!  Future plans include a manual conversion (more research needed) and TD04 etc etc.

Hope you've enjoyed so far, I'll post up more as things happen!

Edited by bahnstormer

Great idea with the fog light, I was trying to figure out a good place for the fog on mine. Was even considering getting a flush one and cutting rear bumper but decided on leaving it in the cluster the now but this is a better idea.

Such a shame it got into the way it was but good work getting it looking good again.

Thanks for the comments guys :). 

If this had been any other car I doubt I'd be quite so enthusiastic about bringing back but I remember how good it used to be which has spurred me on.  The body is generally pretty good.  The rear bumper needs repainting as do the skirts, the front bumper has snapped in the passenger wheel arch (looking at it quickly, I think I can probably fix it myself), the bonnet has a slight dent right at the very front where the grille is and the drivers door now has a nasty scratch courtesy of a large piece of angle iron which I stupidly left stood near the car.....it missed the window by about an inch, so I was lucky there!

I also forgot to mention that it has a couple of nice goodies which my sister fitted, a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust and ARC top mount intercooler.  Unfortunately, some of the mounting tabs have broken off of the IC, but I might be able to get that fixed at work.  It's still pretty solid though.

I'm thinking of changing the wheels at some point, so any advice on decent fitment would be much appreciated, I'd ideally like to stick with 15" wheels :).

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report this week.  I spent a little time today putting the interior back in the car, I'm pleased that it's come up fairly clean again.  The passenger seat isn't in yet, for two reasons:

1. I left it out for easier access in and out of the rear of the car.
2. It had gone slightly mouldy in the garage.  I must've left it a little damp when I put it in there.  No big deal though, I'll give it another clean and thorough drying in the week.

20180902_144009.jpg
20180902_144014.jpg

I only noticed today that the rear seats don't match the fronts :lol: but apparently they've always been like that as my sister couldn't find a decent set of rears.  I also realised that I can't remember what I did with the push clips that hold the boot carpet to the rear of the seat.  They're here somewhere but god knows where!  Oh, and I've got a nasty feeling the central armrest has accidentally been binned......

I'm going to speak to a guy at work about re-trimming the steering wheel, he's supposed to be shit hot at stuff like that.  No idea why he's working in our stores!

I'll check back in with more updates soon :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

So, a little more progress made this week.  This project has been a slow burner, mainly because it's a second car and I don't need to rush to get anything done, but also because it was parked in a pretty awkward place before I moved it to the driveway this week.

Anyway, I managed to get hold of a genuine Glanza steering wheel and airbag which was in fantastic condition, for a not too shabby £50.  After it arrived I realised I'd cocked up and bought one for a car with no passenger airbag, but managed to swap the necessary bits over from the old wheel and it fits perfectly :yahoo:.

steering-wheel.jpg

(Picture taken from the eBay listing)

The car came with the biggest battery I've ever seen.  It's from a Mercedes diesel truck and takes up about half of the engine bay.  On the other hand, the car starts without any hesitation :D.  Due to it's size, it can't be held down properly, so I've decided to move it to the boot.  Luckily I have an unused battery relocation kit which I intended to use in my old Silvia but never got around to doing.  The only thing I've had to get is a big enough battery box, which should hopefully turn up this week so all being well, I can crack on with that job at the weekend.

I also got hold of a Greddy Emanage blue (I know, not the greatest, but at £40 I wasn't going to argue) and a few other bits and bobs too.  Hopefully I can get the car to a decent spec fairly soon......

More to come...….

Edited by bahnstormer
  • 2 weeks later...

A little more progress made today.  Decided I'd take the front bumper off to fix the broken tab in the passenger arch and while I was at it, thought it would be an ideal time to remove the AC condenser etc.  Removing the AC gubbins was surprisingly easy, so managed to get it done fairly quickly, although I haven't yet removed the pump as I'm waiting for a shorter belt and a few other bits and bobs from ID-Workz.

Bumper off and condenser removed:

20190120-125905.jpg

Realised now was an ideal time to relocate the Hella horns.  They used to be crammed in behind the top grille, which I wasn't very happy with, so used a Perrin mount from my old Scooby and moved them down to the lower grille:

20190120-131454.jpg

Then moved inside to fix the bumper.  Here's a pic of the damaged tab:

20190120-134424.jpg

I plastic welded the tab back on and I'm pleased to say it's holding strong:

20190120-140259.jpg

Also plastic welded inside the bumper for a little reinforcement:

20190120-140305.jpg

I'll see how it holds up and if needed I'll add some fibreglass to stiffen it all up.  Apart from the shorter aux belt, I've also ordered a new handbrake cable for the driver side, rear caliper rebuild kit and a complete set of gaskets/seals for the cam cover as it's gone a little crusty over time.  The plan is to remove the rear calipers, cam cover and front strut brace, then have them blasted at work so I can refurb them all and get them looking (and working) nice again.

More soon......

• 1 month later...

Another little update :D.

So, the front bumper is still off the car - I just haven't gotten around to putting it back on yet.  The rest of the AC system is now gone and a shorter aux belt is fitted.  I also got rid of the AC gubbins from under the dash, which gave me a perfect grommet for running the battery relocation cable through the bulkhead :thumbsup:.  Just need to fit a decent battery box in the back and get a sensible sized battery (I've decided against the truck battery that's currently under the bonnet as it takes up half the boot :lol:).

Last weekend I took out the rear trim so I could run the battery cable neatly and decided I'd throw in some insulation that my new arm rest was packaged in (it's from a Sera and doesn't fit perfectly but will do for now).  Should keep the road noise etc. down a bit....

20190223-122439.jpg

Last week I picked up some nice 98 spec rear seats and a parcel shelf from BMX-RIG (VERY helpful guy) and got them fitted today (I'm just waiting to hear back about the middle hinge as I totally forgot I'd need one at the time :crazy:.  Managed to source some new parcel shelf retaining clips from Japan, so I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

20190302-122855.jpg

So, the interior is pretty much finished, I just need to finish re-trimming the headliner and get it installed.  I'm also considering fitting a small sharkfin DAB aerial to the roof - The standard antenna just isn't cutting it anymore and I like listening to Planet Rock while I'm driving :lol:.

I also set about removing the rear calipers today.  The drivers side has a habit of sticking on, plus I needed to replace the handbrake cable on that side too, so thought I'd take them off and get them blasted (they're incredibly crusty!) at work then have them refurbed.  I've got a rebuild kit to do it myself, so that'll keep me busy for a while :D.  It's also going to receive new discs and pads all round at some point, the fronts are very low and the rears were down to metal!

This is how we finished the day:

20190302-142011.jpg

20190302-142022.jpg.

More as it happens......

Edited by bahnstormer
1 hour ago, bahnstormer said:

Parcel shelf retaining clips arrived today and fit perfectly :thumbsup:.  In case anyone is looking for the part numbers, they are:

64323-10040-C0
64324-10040-C0

I paid about £6 each from Amayama, no idea what Toyota would charge as my nearest one couldn't find them on their system :unknw:.

Nice progress dude! 

Think i paid £7 per clip from toyota a while ago :)

8 minutes ago, BMX-RIG said:

Nice progress dude! 

Think i paid £7 per clip from toyota a while ago :)

Thanks man!  The new rear seats and shelf have made such a difference!  Just waiting to get the calipers back now and I can start rebuilding them.  I've never actually done a set of calipers before but it all seemed to make sense when I was taking them apart so hopefully should be simple enough.

16 minutes ago, bahnstormer said:

Thanks man!  The new rear seats and shelf have made such a difference!  Just waiting to get the calipers back now and I can start rebuilding them.  I've never actually done a set of calipers before but it all seemed to make sense when I was taking them apart so hopefully should be simple enough.

Fairly straight forward job tbf! Aslong as you have some patience and an idea of how they work its really easy! The only issue i had with a set, is where the cage part with the spring and a flat bit on wouldnt go together. The cage was damaged somehow so i had to use one from another caliper lol :(

On 3/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, bahnstormer said:

Parcel shelf retaining clips arrived today and fit perfectly :thumbsup:.  In case anyone is looking for the part numbers, they are:

64323-10040-C0
64324-10040-C0

I paid about £6 each from Amayama, no idea what Toyota would charge as my nearest one couldn't find them on their system :unknw:.

:O I could kiss you! I could never figure out why my parcel trays never sat properly without bouncing around, I didn't realised those clips were missing. Now i can put my parcel shelf back in, woop!

13 hours ago, Timmah said:

:O I could kiss you! I could never figure out why my parcel trays never sat properly without bouncing around, I didn't realised those clips were missing. Now i can put my parcel shelf back in, woop!

Haha you're welcome!

I managed to take a quick pic the other night.  It's not the greatest, but it'll give you an idea of how they fit:

20190304-172225.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wow, I've not been around for while! :lol:

So, the Glanza is still here.  I took it for an MOT recently, I knew it wouldn't pass but thought it would give me an indication of what needed doing seeing as it's been off the road for nearly three years.  To my surprise it only needed a couple of things doing to it:

1.  There was a bolt in the lower arm that was loose.  The guy didn't want to try and tighten it in case it all went wrong (can't say I blame him tbh).
2.  The handbrake on the drivers side doesn't actually do anything.  I've checked and the caliper and cable both move freely enough, so no idea what's up there.  (I also fitted all new handbrake cables a little while ago, so perhaps some adjustment is needed?).

There was also an advisory for tyres (I knew there would be, they're horrible) and also for CV gaiters, so they were replaced along with new front bearings, tie rods and a few other little bits that I noticed when the front was apart.

Currently on the lookout for a good condition headliner for a sunroof model if anyone has one?

Also, any suggestions on the handbrake front would be helpful :thumbsup:.

Good to see this is still on the go! 😎 

With regards to finding a roof lining for a sunroof model, your best bet is to find a ukdm breaker with an electric sunroof. CD or GLS models will be your only hope. 

• 8 months later...

I'm still chipping away at this one 😆.  A combination of shitty weather and a back injury means I haven't been able to do anything since last summer.  I managed to trace the handbrake issue down to a dodgy piston.  That was back in July, and I'm only now getting around to sorting it.  On that note, if anyone can tell me how the little cage/bolt inside the piston goes back together I'd be grateful!

1 hour ago, bahnstormer said:

I'm still chipping away at this one 😆.  A combination of shitty weather and a back injury means I haven't been able to do anything since last summer.  I managed to trace the handbrake issue down to a dodgy piston.  That was back in July, and I'm only now getting around to sorting it.  On that note, if anyone can tell me how the little cage/bolt inside the piston goes back together I'd be grateful!

If you replaced the dodgy piston and still have it spare you could cut it open and remove the inside piece which functions as a 'nut" to compress the spring and make it easier.  Below is a screenshot from the workshop manual:

Capture.PNG

52 minutes ago, RoyalDutchie said:

If you replaced the dodgy piston and still have it spare you could cut it open and remove the inside piece which functions as a 'nut" to compress the spring and make it easier.  Below is a screenshot from the workshop manual:

Capture.PNG

Excellent, thank you!  I do still have the old piston so I'll have a go at getting that piece out - hadn't thought of that! 👍