Who knew starlets had a pollen filter??

Well messing with my SR and there is a 3 x button clips on the bottom of the heater box so I pulled them out and a flap dropped out with a filter in it. First I've seen one... is it just UK spec or SR or have they all got one?

15369462334816380122641115900398.jpg

1536946251978995614885052974578.jpg

Actually reading the threads on tgtt so many contradicting views.

I'd be interested to see what the definitive answer is. Some saying 98 spec glanza has them whilst 96 spec doesn't. Vast majority that say they have them is ep91 non turbo / not glanza models.

Pretty certain my 96 does not have them remember looking numerous times...

I think you may be right.

Here is a pic of my genuine 96 v. 

(Sorry couldnt rotate pic)

The box has no filter hole. However i notice there's a pipe comnected that looks like it goes through the firewall, your car doesn't have that pipe so toyota must have changed a few things on the facelift system. 

1537443585317.jpg.4b5b7df2616cc6aa99012f94f198f917.jpg

Cool, looks like we've settled it then, unless someone with a 96 shows a pic of one lol

No idea about gt's though.

Thanks for explaining the pipe function also.

Makes me wonder where all the junk that the filter picks up goes to in mine though!

Edited by Farley V
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update on explaining the mystery.

I got in touch with Jay on TGTT who told me that:

"Toyota started introducing a different evaporator housing from Dec 97 (coincides nicely with the mk2 V) which incorporated cabin pollen filters. As you can imagine in Japan this was a major feature as they are all about the air quality. Worth noting that it's not just as cut and dry as that. Pollen filters only became factory in 97, however before that you could still spec them as a dealer option. That means there's 1996 V's running round with them too albeit retrofitted."

Therefore, this would also generally agree with why toyodiy parts catalogue has only 97+ V's listed for the pollen filters.

Jay also mentioned that the EP82's never got them as they were obviously previous to this.

Edited by Farley V