About to embark on a EP95 5efhte

Hi everyone, just signed up to the group.  Great to see so much information available.

I have 2 cars, my existing 5efhte (EP82) GT starlet that I've had for about 10 years and I've just acquired a manual 2 door EP95 after searching for some time.  Plan is to swap the running gear from my EP82 into the EP95 as the body on my car is tired (and also to have a 4wd setup).  I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I take both of them off the road and have the following questions: 

• Are the EP91 / EP82 wiring looms the same i.e. will my EP82 loom work with the EP95? 
  • Do you guys recommend sticking with the EP82 / EP91 looms or going stand alone?  I'm currently using a Greddy Emanage Blue piggy back on my 5efhte producing about 200hp atw (TD04, 1 bar, etc)
  • Are there any recommendations for gearbox / diff work while its out?
  • How does the EP95 drive train hold up with the power? Any need for LSDs or anything?
  • Current dial cluster doesnt have a speedo and I've seen that people swap over the EP91 cluster, is there any trick to this?
  • Any other recommendations from your guys experience?

If you guys can help or point me to the relevant threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Heath

- you will need a loom from an ep91 glanza, that will be the easiest route to do the swap

- it depends how much power you are looking for. I'm pretty sure the EMB is good for over 200hp atw (approx 230-40 at the crank for us English). imo a standalone ecu is only worth while if chasing very high power

- you can put the taller 5th gear in the 4wd box but I don't personally think its worth it. close ratio gearbox is better in my opinion but it does serve some purpose if you want the higher top end for racing etc other than that leave the box and diffs well alone

- drivetrain on these cars has been proven to be very reliable at power levels of around 250+hp at the crank - Toyota never made an LSD for them (they were meant to be 4efe powered)but there is some very limited information on here about someone trying to test fit other LSD's. not entirely sure how that went but I would assume unsuccessfully as we haven't heard anything new. but to be honest, if you have 200hp atw it will just hook up and go. no need for LSD's even at 250atw

- best way is to swap the full glanza ep91 loom and full clocks/dash cluster (unless you're an electronics genius and want to make it all custom)

- the sump on the ep95 is different to the ep91 due to the transfer box section - you need to modify the 4efte sump. along with the loom, this is the most awkward part of converting the 4wd car to turbo

Thanks for the response, all makes sense. I’m assuming from that that I can’t use my EP82 4EFTE loom as it’s different to the EP91 loom?

I assume I use the EP95 dash and change out the dial cluster as opposed to changing out the entire dash to EP91. 

I was doing some reading through the forums and noticed some people having issues matching looms with their specific model. I have driver and passenger airbags. Not sure if that causes any issues. 

Thanks again for the advice. 

Heath

yeah I think the ep91 loom is different to the ep82 loom.

you should get the whole glanza loom and full glanza dash cluster - it just makes things a lot easier rather than trying to mate the glanza loom to the ep95 clocks.

not sure on the airbag thing.

The 82 GT loom and 91 loom are different, however with basic wiring knowledge it’s not that hard to splice the GT engine loom into the 91 loom. This way you can still keep all the other looms in the car without having to change them.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all, just an update on the above. Have my car all up and running. Swapped in my 5efhte had a mate wire in a Link G4+ ECU got it dyno’d and puts out 230hp atw @ 18psi. Got some meister R coilovers and levin 2 pot brakes. Rewired to get the glanza v dash in. Got through a few teething issues and using as a daily driver. Really enjoying the car atm, Heath.