Welp, not had the best of days, did the VR6 splitter in today, one more thing to think about buying as I actually really liked it :/

image0.jpg
image0.jpg

So for the time being, I'll be without the splitter

image0.jpg

Edited by Kieran Barber
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's dead on, take it looking at before pics it was cut in middle to fit ? How flexible are they, could you not trim bits off the top edge to bend it to bumper shape without cutting a whack out 

Didn't want to try and hack at the old one and not be happy with it, and yea it's too wide unless you take a small section of each half off to fit it, as for flexibility, it ain't like a polyurethane piece where you can bend it into a Z and it's not like fibreglass where it has no give, has flex but not too much

Either way, had to get a new sump plug as I had snapped the mishimoto one (had a really obvious weak point), furtunately was able to get the remaining part that was still in there and got a new magnetic one that looked a bit beefier for £8, so finished the service and got the splitter on, gotten pretty lucky I reckon
image0.jpg

they're deeper than a laguna lip and i liked the VR6 one because it was something different, i was going to look for a MK2 clio splitter to add a tiny bit of depth to the bumper, but just thought that splitter suited it more

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've done an update, just been enjoying her for what she is, had no hiccups up to now fortunately

so did some rust prevention to the rear axle and the fuel filler and breather pipes as the axle had a fair bit of surface rust and the pipes were basically coated in rust, but were still solid

image1.jpg
image0.jpg
image2.jpg

At the moment I'm happy with how it looks but i'd like a livesports spoiler for mine as well, as for wheels i'd like to have 2 sets if I start tracking it, have the pro 1.2's as the track set and look for some turbofan style wheels, whether I come across some TOM's or Uniroyal's at the correct time is a different matter.

Performance wise, i'm happy with the power right now but still juggling the idea of forged in my head, suspension wise i'd still like to get coilovers put on it but the suspension setup i palmed off the SR has done wonders to it, feels much more confident in the twisties now

Then another big step would be coating the rest of the underside to preserve it and also do some bodywork bits (bonnet, bumper and bootlid are the main ones).

• 1 month later...

Not a lot to comment on here, just been taking her to shows and driving up and down B roads, been doing little bits here and there.

thought to myself why not try and polish the front box and see if I can get it shiny, think it came up good
image0.jpg
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

• 1 month later...

So the first real thing went wrong a couple days ago, noticed a small bit of white smoke coming out from the exhaust and has steadily got worse over time, took it for a leak down test and it confirmed the head gasket around cylinder 2 has failed.

what gasket would you guys recommend?

• 5 weeks later...

update on the gasket situation, after a month it has all been resolved and is now running sweet again, seemed like water was seeping between the layers of the athena mls gasket, nothing seemed to had been worn through or split in any way.

so the head had to be skimmed by 8 thou (0.2mm) to be made flat again, used a cometic mls 1.2mm gasket on it and had it put all back together

side note a little bit on the screamer needed tacking in as well, so that was done in the meantime

• 2 weeks later...

plans are probably forged at some point (but it ain't broke, so don't fix it) but the power is enough for me at the moment, still trying to save for coilovers and 4 pots but the small bits i can do once the better weather comes in (bits of bodywork i ain't too happy with)

other than that i really just like driving it as it is, it does what i need it to do and honestly couldn't ask for more from her

• 2 months later...

Small update, around a couple of months after the gasket was sorted, the crank seal ended up going bad and then the new rocker cover gasket wasn't up to snuff (wasn't OEM toyota).

Bought the new bits needed and it'll be going to the garage tomorrow to get those bits sorted.

The work has been done to her and she's running beautifully again.

only headache I had after was for some reason, the guy working on it tried moving the pipe that went from the expansion tank to the rad so the writing was facing the correct way on the expansion bottle top.
ended up kinking it and then rested on the power steering pulley, slicing it.

so I had to cut that bit out and put a small metal fitting in the centre for now, will get another pipe soon though.

image0.jpg

• 2 months later...

Small update for the GT.

So for a couple of months, it has had a small misfire whenever i booted it in second gear, first seemed okay and third onward seems to show no issues when boost came on.

I ended up buying the NGK HT leads from nengun and some new Grade 7 Spark plugs from fensport to hopefully resolve the issue