Long overdue to say the least. 

My starlet journey started off with my first car, a very clean near stock mk3 GT. I bought the car from Maddox, waited patiently 6months for the right car and this was it. After owning VKZ for 2 years, stacking up a huge amount of parts in my cupboard ready to build her up the way I wanted some @£&" hit me from behind doing over a ton and that was that. My family walked out pretty much unharmed just cuts and bruises. The rear of the car was gone and luckily the rear bench just lifted around 8" so little man was ok. Impact was that hard it ripped all the bolts holding the front seats in clean out the chassis. Seatbelts done there job and the car heald up very well and I can only thank Maddox for selling a straight and non rusty car to me being a newby to starlets. I stripped the car down once I felt up to it and sold the parts on that I could, not 1 single but of rust on the whole car. 

After a good few months of wondering what to do my good friend Dean pinder messaged me and said his mk1 OKY had my name on it if I wanted, it wasn't up for sale and I don't think he ever planned to sell her but after what happened he just wanted to help out. So that was that I took the journey up north and got my first taste of a forged mk1 ! Ofcoarse I stalled many times on the test drive and to this day I have never had a clutch like that, turnt out to be an ACT 4puk, brutal! After I got a taste of that sort of power it was an easy decision. Money was paid and I drove her away, sketchy as hell once I hit m25 traffic. 

Heres a photo of the mk3, and my new mk1. ( OKY ) 

IMG_7710.PNG

IMG_7711.JPG

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I quickly learnt that 2 hands on the wheel is a must with a LSD, flying across lanes was a learning curve LOL. Getting used to the car was amazing. Car come with a fairly good spec to say the least. 

Fully forged 4efte 

-cruise valve springs 

-Kent 5efhe cams 

-port and polished head 

-3 angle valve cut 

-ARP head studs 

-knife edge crank

-Wiesco 75mm forged pistons 

-Scat forged rods 

-Cruise 1.8mm HG

-Blueprint ballenced 

Good engine spec, revs very well and came with a 1 off rocker cover. 

-BC coilovers 

-rota wheels 

-quife LSD c52 box

-pollybush engine mounts 

-anti lift kit 

-blitz fmic 

-zisco ramhorn external turbo kit ceramic coated with TD12 turbo

- EMB with profec B spec 2 boost controller

- stock mk1 interior with 3 guage pillar pod 

- twin pot calipers 

-custom exhaust 

that's a rough idea of what was on the car, went very well and I was happy. 

IMG_7712.PNG

IMG_7713.PNG

So the first thing that let go on the car was ignition related, probably leads. I ordered an ignition kit from TD over the phone and mike was happy to hear the OKY was still going strong after having some kind of involvement in the car. Got the kit back and fitted, all was good and we was back to boost ! 

After a few more weeks of enjoyment it felt like the car was down on power for some reason and I couldn't put my finger on it. After a couple hours having a look around I found that the compressor housing no longer wanted to be apart of my turbo ! Couldn't quite believe it, that was taken off and sent up to Liam D @midlandturbos for a full rebuild, billet TD04 19T comp wheel, CT12 polished comp housing, ct9 exhaust housing. I found a small crack in the manifold and I thought it was due an upgrade, I spoke to Sacha and designed a kit to aid the quick spool setup. I went with a Top mount ram horn SS manifold, SS flanges and plum back on the external. Lovely kit really happy with the results once it arrived after a few months. 

Whilst I was waiting for the turbo kit to be made I managed to get my hands on a brand new just test fitted WEPR rear entry on hot side FMIC. WEPR made the custom hotside pipe to suit as shown above 

Soon after japfest the syncros were starting to let go and it was getting really annoying. By this time I done some research and though it was time for a change! I bought a C160 6speed Box, fitted my LSD and swapped the bell housing over. 

Great dissapointment to find that the syncros were also worn in that ! The risk we take I guess. 

Lesson learnt, I managed to get in contact with now a good friend Ian, he built two gearboxes for me, one being a C52 and the other a C160. 

Whilst the gearbox was off I sand blasted the new rebuilt 6speed, fitted the LSD, rebuilt the driveshafts, fitted a new competition lightweight flywheel, a New 400LBS 6puk ACT clutch, a new big bore clutch master cylinder, filled up with some sexy millers fully synthetic oil after some cheaper oil to run the box in with. 

* after swapping the boxes over a few time I must have knocked the sandwich plate, if swapping flywheel ect allways turn the fly by hand to make sure it's not rubbing before you put it all back together ! IMG_7720.thumb.PNG.b2faf7fa4d1ab950f5a7f01e687a54d2.PNGIMG_7721.thumb.PNG.c47a0b932d14dee05f6271f504bbabd2.PNG

IMG_7717.PNG

IMG_7718.PNG

Next on the list was attack the brakes, twin pots were good but I just want the best for the car. I searched around for quite some time doing research and my good friend John Northmore pointed me in the direction of his celica GT4 upgrade. These are some proper beasty 4pot calipers, HUGE! After doing the minor mods with johns help they were fitted, the pedal did however go very low. Research shows there are 3, possibly more sized BMC fitted to a starlet, being the size of the 4pots I went for a brand new larger MC. Solved the issue and have some real braking force now. 20mm spacers were required for clearence, I used Eibach hubcentric. 

Braided lines were already fitted on the car front and rear. 

The rear brakes were taken off due to a slightly sezed calipers and were rebuilt using a gen Toyota kit, a friend bought a kit from eBay for his and to be fair they're was no difference at all. Once rebuilt and given a quick lick of paint they were fitted with new discs, pads and wheels bearings. 

Finished the braking off with some DOT5.1 fluid. 

IMG_7738.PNG

IMG_7746.PNG

IMG_7759.PNG

1 hour ago, glanzadude said:

Yea i never seen a other gt with a 4 pot before. a step by step off how to do would be great

Local Mate has them on his Glanza, far as I'm aware gt-four discs redrilled and 20mm+ spacers.

Would be good to get clarity tho :)

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community/index.php?threads/celica-gt4-4-pot-front-calipers-fit-my-ep-82.90897/

I used avensis 295mm discs though, fully rebuilt calipers with new pistons, seals, pins and clips ect.

Managed to squeeze them under 15's but it is very tight, maybe 1-2mm clearance top and bottom. 

Larger BMC is required when doing this there big calipers. 

Next on the list to do was clean up all the lights and get the original mk1 rears on. I luckily managed to get hold of some mint mk1 fogs, not easy come by ! A mint set of headlights and brand new indicators. You can see in one of the photos how 2 of the lights were aged, I could split them in the future but didn't want to risk it now and some became available so made sense to buy some and have spares. Will add photos of the indicators and headlights when I can find them. 

* when changing to mk1 rear lights the loom was also required. 

IMG_7727.PNG

IMG_7748.PNG

IMG_7752.PNG

IMG_7756.PNG

IMG_7753.PNG

Edited by Brad93

Cleaned up the engine bay a little by fitting the battery in the boot in this wicked battery box I had made. Breaker switch inline, well overrated cable to be on the safe side. 

IMG_7757.PNG

Cheers for the link buddy  :) MK1 rear is class looking, when I swapped mine over the loom was already there and wire for the glow light but had no power to it, I used the MK1 loom from the Glowlight back then just plugged in and I added a jumper wire from side light to feed the GT badge 

Sexy cage purchased, ofcoarse I know the design is not the best being rear seat friendly but want the kids to beable to enjoy the car aswel. Extreamly tight fit really happy with it, was sold to me as the HKS demo car cage. 

IMG_7741.PNG