Leaking thermostat housing - help!!

Noticed an issue with the temp gauge having inaccurate reading so I changed the thermostat. After 6 months or so I noticed coolant was dripping out so thought maybe I hadn't fitted the thermostat properly.

The temperature slowly started raising, it started leaking fluid very slowly and then it stopped all of a sudden after a couple of days.

I have changed the thermostat again as it is relatively cheap, and as i was bleeding the rad earlier and noticed that it was still leaking but it was leaking from the housing and not where the thermostat cover is (where the housing joins the head).

I havent had chance to look at the spark plugs yet as it was getting dark and I have a rx7 top mount, so wouldn't be a quick job. There is no water in my oil (oil cap has no 'mayo' underneath) and there is no oil in my coolant. I havent noticed any obvious signs of leaking from the head, front or back, only the leak from behind the thermostat housing. I am not 100% on how to do a WOT compression test, but I can look that up. Any ideas of what it might be would be much appreciated!

The car is a 1994 ep82, covered approx 120k miles, running around 12 psi with a FCD n FPR (not the best I know, I have an emanage blue to be fitted when I get the time/cash). Rx7 top mount, updated manifold, standard ct9. Have other mods but irrelevant to the problem (BC coilovers etc).

Nick

You will want a sniff test.

When I couldn't get the thermostat to seal it turned out to be the head gasket. Doesn't necessarily have to have mayo or water in the. Could just be blowing ever so slightly.

Otherwise cracked thermostat housing. Are the 4EFE housings not the same.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did read that a sniff test will show a head gasket failure, I'll order one now and hopefully it comes on the weekend. Hopefully it's a cracked housing as I have another ep82 that I can strip for parts, hence having an emanage blue to go on.

I have a double core half rad to go in which I was going to do this weekend, td04 from my other ep82 wont go on until I remove the standard rad. Aircon needs to come out too. Will check for obvious signs, water in piston 2 and 3 when i fit the rad. I will also have a good look at the housing etc

Right, so just done a sniff test and the fluid turned from blue to a slight greenish colour. It says if it turns yellow that the gaskets failed, so I'm presuming that it's on it's way out. 

Besides a timing belt, is there anything else anybody recommends I change while I get the head gasket sorted? Valve stem seals etc

Thanks