Flickering Check Oil Light, Help!!

Hi guys,

Removed the rocker cover yesterday and had is sandblasted ready for paint. Put the cover back on and all runs fine until a few hours later when a rattle-grind was coming from the engine and then at idle the engine warning light would flicker on and off. What could this have been caused by? The oil level is fine so I’m worried there is still left over sand in the engine?! There’s also white smoke coming from the engine bay also? Could anyone give me some suggestions on what it could be and how to sort it, thanks!! 

UPDATE:

Since having a misfire I checked the plugs and I’ve got oil on all four plugs. Clearly the spark plug tube seals have failed so I’m replacing them and getting new plugs. The warning flickering light was most likely the lack of pressure because of the leaking seals. So for anyone taking of the rocker cover, REPLACE THE SEALS!! DO NOT LISTEN TO A CERTAIN TUTORIAL THAT SAYS YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT, CLEARY NOT ALWAYS YOU CANT SO BETTER BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!!

Edited by b3nn3tt01
2 minutes ago, akyakapotter said:

Did you remove the baffle plate ? 

New to cars so where would this have been? Like I know that there was a space inbetween the top of the rocker cover which again I made sure it was thoroughly clear? But I didn’t no. 

Usually to remove all that you need to hot tank cause it is hard to get out. Check your oil and see if you see anyfragments or you might even have to remove your oil pan to check. I had a flickering oil light before and it was due to the connector on my oil pressure sensor being loose but you can double check it. 

1 minute ago, RobSR said:

Sounds like what Nick has said unfortunately. Seen this a couple of times before. 

I always acid dip mine and throughly rinse it as you can never be sure you’ll get the sand out under the baffle. 

Yeah I’ve checked under again and there’s no grit in the oil with the cams and the rocker cover hasn’t got any sand in it. Could it potentially be spark plugs? The lights gone off and it’s mis firing now and producing white smoke maybe blue ish smoke?