Josh's forged 5E Massive spec forged build! 370BHP!!

Truly a top notch build, you should be proud! 
Does your Sexy as oil catch tank have a breather port on it? I only ask as I’m trying to figure out what I need for mine and have seen a few of the rw tanks fitted. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, BurtEP82 said:

Truly a top notch build, you should be proud! 
Does your Sexy as oil catch tank have a breather port on it? I only ask as I’m trying to figure out what I need for mine and have seen a few of the rw tanks fitted. 

Thanks so much! I am very proud of the progression i have made with this build!  Yeah the RW catch can has a breather port on the under side about 1/2 inch wide 

• 1 month later...

Over due update...

Hi everyone! Not good news I'm afraid but it will be fully resolved shortly.,  Here goes...

So after about 2 months of on and off trouble shooting me and rob fisher managed to get the car started (YEY!).   Car was not starting due to 2 fouled plugs, spark was just not strong enough, plus maybe a few bad earths!  

Here is where it gets bad...

While me and rob was sorting the ignition timing out with a timing light I noticed an oil leak from the front left corner of the block, I was like ok annoying as fuck but ill whip the cams out and check the headbolt torques just in case one was slightly loose. When taking the cams out i noticed all of the seats the cams sit in were scored and so were the cam shafts. Still not sure what caused this issue as the cams were installed to OEM spec.  So after all the hours of getting the car running its now off the road again as the cylinder head is toast.  
At this point i was so angry i almost broke the car as im so deep into this build and really struggling now to justify any more funds into it as im buying a house soon! 
Ill put pics below of the marks on the cams etc...

Luckily one of the starlet lads found out what happened and sent me a free set of stock cams to help me get on my way back to fixing it! I was also rather lucky as a local scrap yard had a starlet and i went with a friend to pull the engine and we wipped the head off for £25! 
Once i had the head back to mine i gave it a quick power wash and de-grease and sent it off to Liam coleman at LC_porting for a full port.  Once the port was finished liam sent the head to a garage called "The Car Kitchen" To get a 3 angle valve job, skim, chemical clean, Shimming up and full assembly. 

I also cleaned up the sump really well inside so all the oil will be super clean for the next first start also accompanied with a new oil filter. 

I'm Still waiting for the head back now should have it next week hopefully then i can get the car put back together and get it running reliably and get it mapped at Racecal in the coming weeks. 

Out for now updates coming soon! 

Here are some photos of the port and the damage to the head. 

4MKyuJN.jpg

9lixZUH.jpg

luq894S.jpg

4x5CBEj.png

RUwFCG9.jpg

kOhksLo.jpg

Really sorry to hear about this, the build looks like its going to be a monster!

Might be worth checking the big end bearings, crank journals, main bearings for similar scoring damage. Start with one and see where it takes you. If particles have ended up in the oil it may have been round the engine and produced similar scoring on the bottom end bearings. Also cut open the oil filter with tin snips so you can check for debris (if you still have it)

Hope you get it sorted soon and 🤞 its all ok at the bottom end.

Edited by Claymore
4 hours ago, Claymore said:

Really sorry to hear about this, the build looks like its going to be a monster!

Might be worth checking the big end bearings, crank journals, main bearings for similar scoring damage. Start with one and see where it takes you. If particles have ended up in the oil it may have been round the engine and produced similar scoring on the bottom end bearings. Also cut open the oil filter with tin snips so you can check for debris (if you still have it)

Hope you get it sorted soon and 🤞 its all ok at the bottom end.

All bearings are fine already checked them which is good news!   Should be on the road in a few weeks cant wait! cheers buddy 

Was the rocker cover sand\shot blast cleaned before painting normally oven powder coat paint. 

If so the shot\sand and Powder get into and above the breather baffle plate. Or porting filings in the head journals. 

My turbo conversion died because of shot in the breather baffle because it had a powder coated rocker cover. 

Sorry to hear this. 

Edited by Sam44

I hope you can see it through! Way too far now! These builds get to a point where you can't justify that next £100. It's when the strongest part hunts out the weakest and they hold everything back through to something super simple that got over or under looked good luck I hope you get where you want to be :)

3 hours ago, Sam44 said:

Was the rocker cover sand\shot blast cleaned before painting normally oven powder coat paint. 

If so the shot\sand and Powder get into and above the greater baffle plate. Or porting filings in the head journals. 

My turbo conversion died because of shot in the breather baffle because it had a powder coated rocker cover. 

Sorry to here this. 

No shot blasting or powder coating its polished by hand oh well shit happens i guess. 

1 hour ago, Claymore said:

Good times :drinks:.

Tell the dyno operator to send it!

Oh dont worry i will hahah! 

39 minutes ago, Gainzy said:

I hope you can see it through! Way too far now! These builds get to a point where you can't justify that next £100. It's when the strongest part hunts out the weakest and they hold everything back through to something super simple that got over or under looked good luck I hope you get where you want to be :)

Its getting seen through 10000% i recon car will be on the dyno with in 6-8 weeks. Onward and upwards from here! Updates coming soon 

• 1 month later...

Update! : 

Been off the forums a little while due to waiting for work on the cylinder head to be completed,  The cylinder head is now back with me and has had the following work done... Skimmed, ported, 3 angle valve seats cut, new OEM toyota shims to make all tolerances spot on, chemical cleaned and fully assembled with TD valve springs back in.  

I have put all the engine back together, and relocated the FPR and made new AN6 fuel lines to suit the relocation, I also invested in a TD fuel rail to finish the bay off.  Just need to bleed the brakes and sort out the timing with timing light and i will be able to start driving it and running it in. 

Future plans...

Need to wire in the AEM oil pressure gauge and link it to the ECU
Need to wire in coolant pressure sensor to ECU to have protection when mapping to detect pressures incase of lifting the cylinder head
Need to finish the centre console switches / gauges
Fit x2 new handbrake cables
Fit Polybush rear gearbox mount

Here are some recent photos of the bay back together... 

PRivjFX.jpg

UfCENSQ.jpg

TQRlzOT.jpg

iZWSx5S.jpg

sLWExwE.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update!

Not updated the thread for a while been quite poorly and in and out of hospital but im on the mend now so been cracking on with jobs and a lot has been done!

Car is now running and driving MOT is booked for next week so can start driving it around loads once its legal again. 

Jobs that have been completed since last update:
1) All timing sorted and engine put back together
2) Exhaust fitted and Vbanded at bottom of decat for easier removal
3) Air filter setup fitted
4) Extended wheel studs cut down and spacers removed for better wheel clearance
5) Wired in AEM Oil pressure gauge
6) Brakes have been Bled

Next plans:
1) Sort all bits for MOT / finish the build
2) Run in Piston rings
3) Fit EBC solinoid
4) Go for mapping at racecal
5) Fit carbon rear mid spoiler
6) Fit poly gearbox rear mount

9mrpAhn.jpg

EOqwj21.jpg

oga4RNE.jpg

GLCuu6Q.jpg

Edited by wakeabby14
Updating info
1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

Keep it up. 

Take your time and look after yourself. 

Thanks mate will do!

54 minutes ago, Goldie said:

Stunning bit of kit dude! Best of luck with the Mot and glad to hear you're on the mend! 

Thanks appreciate it! Wont need luck as everything will be ready for it, just need the special tester for emissions haha

• wakeabby14 changed the title to Josh's forged 5E Massive spec forged build! 400Bhp here we come
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update:

Got the following jobs done since my last one...

1) New handbrake cables
2) Wired in Horn
3) Wired in rear fog lights
4) Secured the CV boots 
5) Wired in rear number plate lights
6) Wired in reverse lights
7) Secured radiator better
.8) replaced drivers side brake line as started rubbing. 

To do next:

I need to sort an oil leak out, its either timing side crank seal or oil pump its dripping quite badly.  I also have a leak from the gearbox side could be crank seal but i think its sump as didnt leak before i removed the sump.
Apart from that all it needs is an MOT and its all done pretty much! Can then start properly looking at getting a mapping session sorted! 

yoJXhHc.jpg

eTT6kTS.jpg

rbu6Xdw.jpg

EZMAhJo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Car is booked in for mapping on the 28th at racecal, fixed almost everything now so expect dyno figures soon!

The idea of a quaife dogbox keeps popping into my head, spoke with the lads at quaife and they say with my type of use i can get away with servicing the box 1 per year rather than every 24 hours worth of racing on track as intended with race teams.  Bill would be around £6800 all in its a whole lot of money! 

to be continued....

• wakeabby14 changed the title to Josh's forged 5E Massive spec forged build! 370BHP!!