I bought a new starlet in september 2019 only a few months after I passed my test as my last one being killed by a bmw who was driven by an idiot who pulled out of a bay incorrectly without looking and caught me with as they came out. 

IMG_20190827_213249.jpg

The starlet I found was a perfect example basically with only little scrapes and paint work being the only issues. It was on 40K miles and it didnt even ever have an advisory on the MOT minus a issue with the license plate.

image.png.91053ad35ece21dfbf36730853b2c03e.png

I also decided that this starlet was going to be the one that actually gets modified. This was mainly due to a good mate of mine named chops on here convincing me to and selling me most of the parts.

So far I have done corolla inlet manifold, clear indicators, Mazdaspeed ms03 wheels (I bought some sr speedlines and repainted them in an anthracite colour but I prefered the ms03), air filter,  a short shifters I've got the hypersport one at the box and a timing advance.

IMG_20191010_234709.jpg

New Corolla mani

IMG-20191227-WA0008.jpeg

Mazda speed MS03 3 spoke wheels

The things that ive got but not put on the car is a corolla g6r 6 speed gearbox, Glanza spoiler, upgraded anti roll bar, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and an anti lift kit.

IMG-20191218-WA0005.jpg

G6R C160 gearbox with the 4afe bellhousing and all the cables and linkages for the conversion

IMG-20191010-WA0000.jpg

My set of speedlines which I painted after this

IMG-20191224-WA0011.jpegIMG-20191225-WA0015.jpeg

On christmas eve my window was smashed so I also gained a wooden window

IMG-20191016-WA0000.jpg

4-2-1 which i believe was from a corolla or it could be custom but was bought from a mate who said its corolla.

IMG_20191212_160342.jpg

Edited by Reptagon
making it look nicer and knowing a bit more now so wanted to change some things
  • 2 weeks later...

Waw wat exhaust manifold and down pipe is that off. 

Also the 4efte engine has a inlet cam with higher lift than the UK 4efe. It will give a bigger longer pull. From what im reading this inlet headwork coupled with the fte cam and a good exhaust can hit 100hp. Which is 1.6ltr and 1.8ltr teratory. Impressive stuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 7:23 AM, Sam44 said:

Waw wat exhaust manifold and down pipe is that off. 

Also the 4efte engine has a inlet cam with higher lift than the UK 4efe. It will give a bigger longer pull. From what im reading this inlet headwork coupled with the fte cam and a good exhaust can hit 100hp. Which is 1.6ltr and 1.8ltr teratory. Impressive stuff

The exhaust mani is a 4-2-1 corolla mani its a rarer part than the inlets as people didnt think to take them off before they scrap them unlike the inlets which got removed

10 hours ago, Reptagon said:

The exhaust mani is a 4-2-1 corolla mani its a rarer part than the inlets as people didnt think to take them off before they scrap them unlike the inlets which got removed

Nice find there. 

I've got a turbo inlet cam here if your interested in installing it. It has more lift giving better mid range to topend gains. It would suit your setup. From wat I can gather not alot of people know about this. You would be the first to run it I reckon. 

They are super easy to install as well. 

I can put pics up to prove the difference with a micrometer. Just because there are disbelivers on here 

I spotted it off the dyno graphs. It stands out a mile tbf. 

Edited by Sam44

so since my last post I've learnt a lot more about cars in general and I also bought a project car which is a turbo MK3 supra but at the moment the starlet is still being modified and I want to keep modding it as its not too expensive to mod and its just more fun to mess with and learn and its less daunting then the supra. So its been a decent while since i posted so im trying to remember the order I did things in but I'll try my best to get it right.

So as suggested by Sam44 I installed a turbo inlet cam. I bought this off of chops and installed it with him. Dont worry I did an oil change after this I know it looked very bad.

IMG_20200217_160318.thumb.jpg.feb1b02b193d03e490781884cd4749f1.jpg  IMG_20200217_155952.thumb.jpg.1ce424b391e5d1392901d5b5bc56db75.jpg

I then attempted to fit my 4-2-1 manifold and it didnt go well as the pipes didnt line up and i only had a coupler no flexy pipes so for a week I had no exhaust on my car and it sounded like this. Also I can see that some point around here was when i cleaned up all the gunk from my rub strips and made it look a little nicer.

We then fixed my rear window in tesco car park with 3 small tubes of sealant that turned out to not be enough so my window now leaks a little whenever I pressure wash my car but it doesnt in the rain so thats fine.

IMG_20200130_193235.thumb.jpg.51837bf5bc97e632fd316d3d6c671a60.jpg

After this we then fit new wheels to the car as it turned out that 2 of the MS03 mazda speed wheels were slightly buckled (that's why in the video you can see im still running two stock wheels) so they were sold to a mate who skids on them now and i bought these BBS wheels. I only bought these wheels as they were cheap and the correct size for the car. To be completely honest I have never really liked them and the previous owner had sprayed them really badly so they are pealing now and I want new wheels but I dont know what ones to run.

Screenshot_20200119_230241_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.f6513300d1b1083b681a0e28e6c7c34a.jpg

After that my clutch started to slip loads so I know I needed to do my clutch so I also got all the bits together to fit my C160 6 speed box in too. We fit this and im gonna be completely honest this is what turned my car from a granny car to actually something I was in love with. The shorter ratios are so nice to have and it actually makes it quite nippy. I timed my 0-60 before and after and it was about 11 before and i could get to 60 in second gear but now its 10.5ish but I have to shift into third so you can see the difference in acceleration.

After I installed that my slave went so I then installed a new slave and you can see what the old one looked like.

IMG-20200505-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.1f22c440c1273e9c280056be1504e3b8.jpegIMG-20200505-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.d8709a56f583e0243d137f39a36eb4d5.jpegSnapchat-741376991.thumb.jpg.19c989b05ac6231d9285bd4ccb14c243.jpg

Since this I havent done anymore mods for extra power its just been making it feel better in the handling department.

This next mod was one i did as I needed to repair something. So it turned out that when we installed my new gearbox we hadnt torqued up the bolts on the back of the box this caused the engine mount rubber to go so i then bought all new powerflex poly yellow engine mounts for a better responce but not to have it so hard its not dailyable still

IMG_20200530_140924.thumb.jpg.064e17f24b2ad1cdb0558e440914af95.jpg

I then installed a set of meisterR coilovers which dropped the car a decent amount. In this photo you can see where I ran out of toffee wheel so i couldnt get all the rub strip tape off and you can also see the wheel paint peal.

IMG_20200815_131348.thumb.jpg.20a22fbd5f7751ac2dc320a85433f774.jpg

You can also see in this that I kinda use this starlet as a van too.

IMG-20200622-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.3d5be191d2a3bbab69612a5618039775.jpeg

IMG-20200622-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.7895d9f189fc03a7e615ecba3e81e83d.jpeg     IMG_20191022_211230.thumb.jpg.9cad046f568dc36c050b38374ea3739a.jpg   received_256945828738016.thumb.jpeg.ba83f0c7a65190cff7978c1a3e1b844f.jpeg

The most recent "mod" I did was an accidental fuel filter delete. I was changing my fuel filter out and i accidentally kinked the pipe that goes out the bottom of the filter and we tried flaring the pipe but due to the amount of pressure on the connection as it had been shortened it just kept leaking so for now I have a flexy pipe instead of a fuel filter as I had to get home and it was the only way we could think of

IMG-20200817-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.b563afbe265ce2a1d5269b1c3f843a4d.jpeg

Now whats for the future of this build. well the parts I've got already are a fuel pressure regulator to fit, ITBs, 4-2-1, new anti roll, mr2 seats and a glanza spoiler.

The ITBs are from a triumph I believe and we're gonna make runners using my old stock manifold and then using a vacuum box for the map sensor and then figure out how to get an idle to work and things like that.

finally here are some pics of my car that I found that I just wanted to put in here even though they mean nothing to the build forum they mean something to me

75371760_10156957728451775_2034644630816948224_o.thumb.jpg.a31122733ed6a6c625ff2b8025d70aa5.jpg74863923_10156957728431775_8891154396658794496_o.thumb.jpg.c4fe7e429659292e004c7d5e48ed43f7.jpgIMG_20191217_222751.thumb.jpg.40eae02083b36926dfdd36054625d0c5.jpg75580470_2457924220923864_7544180754880659456_o.thumb.jpg.006c768ed039ad8553600b84a71cbb9b.jpg75485961_147991809921197_7367474160961847296_o.thumb.jpg.d010b16c18d566b7242ab423b1f8a5e5.jpgyes.thumb.jpg.0ab20af90a497d9adb97769b702a5a15.jpgimage.thumb.png.8bdaf061ce5d5f59ccc5d6048051f43f.pngIMG_20191130_001951.thumb.jpg.90d0f9238a50fa6da1b1e668a6520451.jpg

Edited by Reptagon
5 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

Looking good. 

MK3 supra very nice and getting rare car that. 

How are you liking the cam, they pull alot better uptop end of the rpm range. 

Yeah I've found that tbh and this new box getting me there quicker is literally the perfect combination for it. I'm curious what the difference will be between stock man, corolla Mani and ITBs with that cam will be though

5 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

Nice aprouch. I'll follow your build. I can't find many ep91 running the cam so should be very interesting to see. 

Are you running the gearbox yet. 

Yeah got the c160 in it now, do you watch Matt berry on YouTube if not you should as I think he's done some testing with that cam before and using it with high comp motors

I'll get on that thanks for that. That's a very capable setup already but I'm sure you've found that out. If you get it dynoed do a third and fourth gear run. On most 6speeds 4th gear is the gear. Congratulations. 

Edited by Sam44

I have just watch it a video using the 5ehfe cam good watch. The itb setup with an ECU like the det master3 should see you to some very nice figures and times. Welcome to the rare 6speed club. 

I'll get the lift difference off the turbo cam compared to the na cam, I know it's not 1mm as quoted on the 5ehfe, it's also better to measure cams using a micrometer rather than verniers. Keep the progress coming. 

10 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

I have just watch it a video using the 5ehfe cam good watch. The itb setup with an ECU like the det master3 should see you to some very nice figures and times. Welcome to the rare 6speed club. 

I'll get the lift difference off the turbo cam compared to the na cam, I know it's not 1mm as quoted on the 5ehfe, it's also better to measure cams using a micrometer rather than verniers. Keep the progress coming. 

I'm just trying to find an exhaust system for an NA preferably cat back that will work but I'm debating deleting my cat idk if it's worth it though. Kinda a similar thing atm with power steering as I don't know how much the whole system weighs and how much difference it will make

6 hours ago, Reptagon said:

Yeah I've found that tbh and this new box getting me there quicker is literally the perfect combination for it. I'm curious what the difference will be between stock man, corolla Mani and ITBs with that cam will be though

Dynoooooooooooooooo!😝 Sounds obvious but we'd all be interested to finally nail down what mods are producing the best gains.

6 hours ago, Reptagon said:

I then attempted to fit my 4-2-1 manifold and it didnt go well as the pipes didnt line up and i only had a coupler no flexy pipes so for a week I had no exhaust on my car and it sounded like this. Also I can see that some point around here was when i cleaned up all the gunk from my rub strips and made it look a little nicer.

Now whats for the future of this build. well the parts I've got already are a fuel pressure regulator to fit, ITBs, 4-2-1, new anti roll, mr2 seats and a glanza spoiler.

The ITBs are from a triumph I believe and we're gonna make runners using my old stock manifold and then using a vacuum box for the map sensor and then figure out how to get an idle to work and things like that.

Which 4-2-1 manifold did you get? I've heard of the corolla cast one and the OBX for the 5e being converted to fit before. Again there's no dyno before and afters to show the differences. Not sure the fuel pressure regulator will improve much on an N/A unless the current one is a bit tired.

4 hours ago, Reptagon said:

I'm just trying to find an exhaust system for an NA preferably cat back that will work but I'm debating deleting my cat idk if it's worth it though. Kinda a similar thing atm with power steering as I don't know how much the whole system weighs and how much difference it will make

I've seen some results posted with a corolla intake and throttle body, stock cam, 2" straight though exhaust. Made 86.6hp. Deleting the cat as you know is an MOT failure and swapping it out after the test will make the car "unroadworthy" in the eyes of the law so void insurance too. Universal fitment sport cats (200 or 100 cell) are available. From the other mods people have done it seem that the corolla manifold is a good, cheap, easy gain for N/A. Itb's are more suited to higher revving engines than the stock 4efe, shortening the inlet track significantly will most likely lose low down torque. Hopefully the improved breathing from the cam and an increase in redline will help. There have been a couple of ITB builds on here but unfortunately there haven't been any dyno graphs posted to show the improvements gained. It's best to mount the bodies as close to the head as practical to improve response and then play with different trumpet lengths to suit.

All I can say for sure is that N/A tuning is a minefield and some mods improve and some will harm performance depending on the rest of the setup so testing and tuning is most important. 

Very interested to see the results.

Edited by Claymore
2 hours ago, Claymore said:

Which 4-2-1 manifold did you get?

I believe it's from a corolla.

Dynoooooooooooooooo!😝 Sounds obvious but we'd all be interested to finally nail down what mods are producing the best gains.

I'm gonna try at some point get to go to one 

Itb's are more suited to higher revving engines than the stock 4efe

Thinking of doing turbo valve springs to increase the rpm (hopefully to just under 8k) and then 5e rods to increase compression but I still have to look into that more

Not sure the fuel pressure regulator will improve much on an N/A unless the current one is a bit tired.

Got it for free off of a mate and with itbs as it will be more air per cylinder in my head I think it will lean out a bit 

It's best to mount the bodies as close to the head as practical to improve response and then play with different trumpet lengths to suit

Gonna be using the stock manifold which will be cut down to be used as a flange and part of the piping as runners to weld on but gonna try keep them as close as possible

27 minutes ago, Reptagon said:

Thinking of doing turbo valve springs to increase the rpm (hopefully to just under 8k) and then 5e rods to increase compression but I still have to look into that more

Got it for free off of a mate and with itbs as it will be more air per cylinder in my head I think it will lean out a bit 

Fair enough on the FPR, I presumed you'd be going with a piggyback to sort the fuelling side of things. 

This guy has done a pretty good write up of it. He couldn't get the fuelling right with adj. FPR and needed piggyback (hence my presumption). Don't forget the wideband o2 for tuning purposes.

Looking forward to the progress :thumbsup:

Guys I love this. 

Great advise, and on the fuel pressure reg put up a pic of what unit it is, there are some cheap units that are, urmm in a word bad and not stable. After looking into the normally asperated tune the most I've seen was a 91hp green na in Sheffield that ran the 4efe gen1 full setup (turbo inlet and throttle, 4,2,1 corrola exhaust) with the brown corrolla injectors and what looked like a sard regulator. From what I could see he was using the tps off the early system (also turbo) on the UK ep91 4efe ems ECU this leaned off the fueling threw the rev range and better at peak throttle, what is know as wide open throttle, WOT conditions. Ryan Lang best describes this as Ttec, after Honda's vetec because it felt like a second cam coming in when the turbo tps switched it's wot switch on which by luck (as this is not a potentiometer as it should be rather a on off switch) sent a better amount of fuel in right at peak rpm. 

If you look on the leader board at the torque levels Ryan lang has compared to the rest this is mainly down to the turbo tps and throttle setup, I've read up on another build a red na how to adjust it for these results there very early builds. These lads also ran full earthing kits and low temp thermostats and platinum tip plugs heat range 5 ive got the NGK part number here some were. I know the green n/a did not run the turbo cam for the simple reason of it not being know about at the time. 

From what I can see the na runs a rich mixture right from start to around 3krpm were the ems starts to get it right then the wot conditions kicks in and kills power. 

If I was to fit a fuel pressure reg I'd drop fuel pressure down by 3psi and time my rpm raise/feel the power doing 3rd gear pulls droping rpm low staying in 3rd and seeing how throttle response affects rpm raise, go quarter, half, three quarter then fully open, then slow gradually. Get used to referencing the rpm band to mph range rise. At points you will see the mph slow and also build faster this is hp/torque. When you hit the sweet spot you will feel the difference. Raise and lowwer fuel pressure psi at a time after the initial 3psi drop in pressure. Use the det can solution and the minute you Hear det clutch in and drop gear. Normally more fuel will be needed. If this happens regularly at a topend rpm rpm or setoff rpm affecting the rest of the rpm band if you increase fuel let me know there's tricks I know using rpm switch's like the msd rpm switch and fuel pressure vacume chamber that can help. 

It's important to run the ear stereo\ improvised det can for around 1week after adjusting setup. This is to drive through all engine load conditions, be ware of seasonal outside temp changes and driving at different altitudes these also require setup adjustments and use of the stereo ear. 

Using a wide band and egt on cylinder 1 will also be a great tunning aid 

I'd strongly recommend using the det can solution posted on my build to listen out for det as you will be loading up the engine doing 3rd gear runs. Also only do around 5 then let the engine recover/cool. 

These reason to use a higher gear to road map is to load up the engine. This also slows the rpm range allowing you to feel the power delivery in the different rpm bands. 

Also third, and fourth gears provide 1:1 engine power output. 

Edited by Sam44

Just because it made me smile really

The channel has some other interesting vids to do with bell mouth shape and design also.

Last pic of my favourite itb intake manifold. 50mm slide throttles, carbon fibre 8 injector airbox from Tim Harvey's Labatts M3

DSCF0024.JPG

Edited by Claymore
Apologies for the mini hijack

Haha fantastic. 

The mighty BMW M3 engine 300hp capable n/a the first and only 4cylinder natural asperated engine to keep up with the ford costhworth turbo and Nissan's insane RB, as seen in btcc of the early 90s. 

4efe and 5efe suitable platinum plugs these help the dizzy system and low coil kv maintain spark duration and dwell (procise spark advance) as well a good earth return system.

Always check plug treads diameter and pitch and plug reach against the old set. 

These come gapped. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/250706036

Looking on your bay pictures yours has the anti surge/pressure wave valve on the fuel rail a great later generation addition, this helps stabilizer fuel pressure waves in the high pressure side. The reason I run 2x pumping units. 

Edited by Sam44

Can confirm, gearbox was from a 4efe corolla e11, cast manifold was allegedly from a 4efe corolla e10. Cam was from a ded fte (rip). This cars a real screamer, sat next to my actual rolla g6r all day long. I wanna get some itbs on it , turbo valvesprings and maybe a massive head skim and see what these funny little undersquare 1.3s can really do.