Starlet Ep91 4efe turbo conversion.

So a family member has done me a solid favour, and replaced the old cam belt with the new Kevlar race belt. 

Process to do it. 

1613409091985360892471.jpg

16134091344652025953844.jpg

I can't wait to be back. 

I'm hoping this will minimise the flex of the belt helping the crank position sensor located in the 4efe distributor driven off the camshaft be more accurate. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a date finally I will be back in England. That is the 23rd of June!!!. Really can't wait. 

It's been a killer few weeks testing. 

Daniel has managed to get back onto the starlet setting up the e11 corrola inlet ready to develope it, improving the 0rpm to 4k+rpm power/torque band.

With this I reckon we can enlarge the throttle body base platen to house the Audi S80 sport twin throttle, which I might add is a very large throttle body + making a power box pre engine throttle body, post bov valve/D valve antilag incorporated as part of the intercooler pipe. Also keeping the manifold plenum chamber small. The idea is the larger diameter throttle body and larger volume power box/intercooler pipe will deliver the required air on wide open throttle. The manifold design is crazy efficient from 0 to around 5krpm giving great engine response. Which we fully expected. Danny is very impressed with it. 

The corrola inlet has knocked 500rpm off the turbos spool up time also giving fantastic low-end torque output. 

The higher lift 4efte inlet cam has also been installed to help increase 4k+rpm power. 

I forgot to inform Daniel about the cam pully bolts requiring lock tight, I totally forgot. Then this happend. In The picture you can see were the adjusting bolts have slipped position altering cam timing as the engine was running. 

1616435479836690717649.jpg

I was warned about these pulys and to thread lock (lock tight) them once adjusted. No damage done!!, more frustrating for him, and a full day wasted. Standard race car stuff I guess!!. 

I also would like to repeat this to anyone how has one, or is thinking about getting one. 

He has had abit of a nightmare with fuel leaks and timing belt pulley bless him. We are having to get all compression joint fuel lines made up with running high fuel pressures. 

Edited by Sam44
  • Sam44 changed the title to Starlet Ep91 4efe turbo conversion.
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to go with the lighter easier to read and wire in paseo clocks, it also has the near correct red line for my engine setup, also the gearbox Speedo drive mates with these clocks. 

Just sat here working out the wiring. Think I have it sorted. Time to swap afew things around. 

16176653451971369701539.jpg

I'm using the perfect paseo screen cover. 

I'll post on here the pin out conversion for 

Starlet spotife, cd to paseo, glanza clocks. 

Edited by Sam44

16176656412871265166158.jpg

And the TRD glanza v surround. 

1617665922802768913265.jpg

Ep91 ukdm starlet cd clocks 

1617666883375194298280.jpg

Pink paseo needles. And mixed it up alittle. The orange ep91 needle is just there as reference. 

1617669657329901020662.jpg

The white clocks have purple led back lighting and the black has white led back lighting. Nice and visible. 

This and the cup holders is the start of bringing the interior as upto date as possible. I'm going to get the seat belts done in red as well as replace the rear bench seat with something alittle more sporty. I'm also after an MR2 spider steering wheel For it. 

In the end I didn't need to rewire the ep91 cd dash, I just swapped all the required clocks and faces + needles around installing them onto the cd clock  base.

I've posted them back to the my UK home, were Daniel will install it.

I'llget a video up of them dash + dash gauges + boost control + progressive shift lights in action. 

Edited by Sam44

cheers dutchie. yeh the side skirts are needing modding (5 door) ill do these things. as well as paint the rear bumper black, the side skirts and front bumper are also black. 

yeh i would like to for sure but as soon as dan gets the weather hes itching to fit things (a young pup) hes really enjoying building the gt and starleto. 

i hate having parts laying around in boxes to be honest, they always seem to get marked or damaged. 

plus as soon as i land we can hit the harder things.

he does all this with a small halfords tool kit. gotta love these cars.

i am really home sick at present. the cold conditions are starting to bug me now.  

hoping to have the rear windows tinted by the time i get back also.   

Edited by Sam44

thanks. i didnt want to put the pics up of the body until it was painted, but i do like the rear lights. 

here is 1 of the front  taken awhile ago the bumper has been smoothed over were the cut outs are. 

ive also just got a set of black glanza electrical wing mirrors for it today.

IMG_20210410_181739.jpg

IMG_20210410_181712.jpg

IMG_20210412_140234[1].jpg

IMG_20210412_140300[1].jpg

excuse the sealant on the dizzy cap (its certainly sealed) dans new to engine instant gasket. 

I'm after a dizzy bag/cover but the only one's i can get at the minute are for v6,v8,v12 engines (a bit big) 

The idea here with the cam belt top cover is to use fine stainless wire messing to neatly cover the cut out. Then I'll fit high visibility led light inside the cover to make the blue cambelt and purple top pully visable/highlighted/POP. 

This will then give protection and I'm hoping look smart. 

Edited by Sam44

cheers pikey

the front bottom cross member has been modified with 2x arches wielded in 1 on the off side 1 on the nearside its a neat job it looks like it came with these in there. the inter-cooler literally fits in the space behind the bumper crash bar, its still in there.

i do how ever need a good bumper dam (splitter) to reduce the air going under the front of the car. the rear bumper being larger brings a large aero drag zone, like a big old air brake. i need to reduce this with the front ground clearance if anyone can give me any suggestions.    

Edited by Sam44

Nice work! Seems you have the same size intercooler as myself. Its such a perfect fit, I dont know why people havent done it before. 

I noticed the Eluto gauge. How do you find it? I have 3 of them here but havent tried them yet. 

im very impressed with them.

im also logging the data from the sensors to the gauges and there spot on. i had to fine tune the boost gauge. the alert/alarm/warning on them also come in very handy. ive also got them all on the same color and brightness as my stereo and dash lights looks smart. 

im very impressed with the hole car. very easy  to mod/work on very cheap and the performance so far has left me speechless. the setup delivers a constant hard pull. the inter-cooler im getting inlet temps around a steady 9 deg C at 7 to 8 psi. turbo spool was around 3krpm down to 2.5krpm with the corrola inlet, turns on quick. ive also got the throttle water lines removed.       

Edited by Sam44
On 4/6/2021 at 12:35 AM, Sam44 said:

16176656412871265166158.jpg

And the TRD glanza v surround. 

1617665922802768913265.jpg

Ep91 ukdm starlet cd clocks 

1617666883375194298280.jpg

Pink paseo needles. And mixed it up alittle. The orange ep91 needle is just there as reference. 

1617669657329901020662.jpg

The white clocks have purple led back lighting and the black has white led back lighting. Nice and visible. 

This and the cup holders is the start of bringing the interior as upto date as possible. I'm going to get the seat belts done in red as well as replace the rear bench seat with something alittle more sporty. I'm also after an MR2 spider steering wheel For it. 

In the end I didn't need to rewire the ep91 cd dash, I just swapped all the required clocks and faces + needles around installing them onto the cd clock  base.

I've posted them back to the my UK home, were Daniel will install it.

I'llget a video up of them dash + dash gauges + boost control + progressive shift lights in action. 

Those clocks look great mate much nicer than the dull ones in my SR nice touch 

The 23rd if June will soon come round bet your itching to get started  as for the bumper splitter someone on the FB pages modded a civic one to fit you still thinking the black silver two tone with the pinstripe look? 

Edited by burty

morning burty mate. cheers. im going to try and go as advanced on as many items as i can on the vehicle. 

ive had many many cars ive modded over the years but this little thing is really quite cool, and most of the parts are toyota bits. 

how are you and the family?. 

ive got everything crossed for that date, and yeh im going to do an advance tribute using the ukdm cd. at least if people see it and look up advance they will have an idea of whats under the skin. the color also suits the car, retro old school like me, haha. 

have you got any pics of the splitter. i need afew ideas. i can make alot of things fit im a wiz with the fiberglass, and body filler.  

Edited by Sam44

It is really smart I've never seen one fitted either so will definitely be unique mate great colour schem a 5 door aswell as a turbo conversion really looking forward to seeing it tbh 

yeh that would be fantastic. a great bunch of lads and ladets on here. ive done my stint away with work for at least the next 2 years. lets do it.  

from what i can see there are quite afew in the north west. 

gt turbos/glanza

ep91 starlet + turbo

starlets 

ive just purchased that front bumper dam (splitter) £500 GULP!!!!. 

Edited by Sam44
16 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

ive just purchased that front bumper dam (splitter) £500 GULP!!!!. 

Fair play mate I'm so jealous it's gonna look unreal tbf 

I'm bang Central with access to the M1 and m62 within 10 minutes so anywhere is good for me really 

so today dans last day he has fitted the glanza electric mirrors and made/run a harnessed loom to the dash. i must admit these even still very basic are much nicer than the standard ukdm starlet mirrors as can be seen in the previous picture 

fitted the clear wing side repeaters.

removed the toyota molded mud flaps ready for the side skirts.  

and made a start on and removing the side bump strip tape left on the doors. 

he is just fitting the adjustable steering column at the min pictures to follow.  

i believe the seats  are out of a celica (fully adjustable). 

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

list of things still to do. 

1) free off polo 6n2 coil overs so they can be adjusted to raise the ride height (after the exhaust ground strike killing the flexi and high flow cat). 

2) get the car upto pirtex so all the fuel lines can be made up (high pressure connectors) after several slight fuel leaks at the joints. 

3) get the hyb tdo4l turbo sorted and back on. (the td05 anti surge compressor housing needs alttile work) 

4) modify the corolla inlet to house the audi throttle body+get a power box inter-cooler pipe made up (pre engine throttle pip section). 

5) fit the mr2/e11/corsa front brake setup fitted with the galant larger master cylinder.   

6) fit the engine oil cooler/thermostat.

7) pannel in the intercooler reducing air spillage maximising the exchangers efficiency. Also to wrap the intercooler piping in heatproof tape, as well as cut holes in the vin plate pannel allowing access/path for the engine bay air to circulate out over the screen, reducing bay temps + vehicle drag + helping defrost my screen in winter. 

8) design and implement an effective engine breather system my goal is to use it produce a constant crank case negative pressure promoting piston ring seal and reducing piston double pumping ( the affect here is to help the pistons move down the cylinder bore improving engine efficiency. 

Edited by Sam44

So it seems I can't keep dan away from the starlet.

we have decided to install the e11  88hp corrola tubular inlet manifold running along side the 4efte higher lift inlet cam.

The engine torque does not drop off like seen on so many 4efe due to the 4efte cam, but it does flatten out at around 5krpm. This is due to the manifold limiting air volume delivered to the engine.

we are going to install the bigger 4efte throttle body to allow more air volume threw. because of the difference in tps we are going back to the gen1 4efe ae101 ecu 

Also we can achieve a better mpg using the ae101 88hp ems, plus the lamba closed loop operation is not as responsive allowing us to run it constantly. 

Installation of the ae101 4efe 88hp ems and bigger 4efte modified throttle body.

This ems uses a switch type tps rather than a potentiometer type which affects the fuel table/map. (fuel trim) 

The UK ep91 4efe ems 78hp low torque,  has the same plugs there's just 1 wire to swap. I'll put up the how to on here. 

we do not use the idle switch position on the tps (because it has a noticeable delay going into acceleration mode) i simple cut this wire green and red at the tps plug.    

Below is the early gen1 ae101 corrola ems around 1991 to 1994 88hp, and larger 4efte throttle body. also in need of a good clean. 

16188316515251615147597.jpg

Here you can see the adjustable switch type sensor. Look at the mounting points. Also note the plastic cam type operating base that switches the center pin output to either bottom pin = idle mode, or top pin = input wot conditions. 

The wot conditions do come in early not exactly on wide open position of the throttle valve so we will modify the cam on the base plate so to sink in the throttle valve and switch. 

16188318520751479921608.jpg

1618831917529167190108.jpg

Idle position 

16188322707271783530657.jpg

Wot conditions

16188323501282009740550.jpg

Bigger 4efte throttle body modified. 

Here is the factory idle screw which we will use because the throttle idle up heater element has been removed and blocked off

1618832544682792495180.jpg

Plus the throttle stop screw which we setup to reduce the pressure difference between pre throttle and post throttle running conditions, this will limit the chance of intake air stall (flat spot on initial throttle drop). 

1618832790233591396069.jpg

There is some modifications needed to the manifold throttle mount (opening out of the main intake port internal diameter), and a base plate needed making for the throttle body in order to use this combination. 

this relatively easy install will help lead us in the direction of how we will need to design the manifold/power box using the 61mm larger twin throttle body. im trying to keep the small plenum chamber. its fantastically responsive.   

the audi twin throttle also has a switch type tps.  with no idle switch. 

Edited by Sam44

Also the same ems design as the ep82 and ep91 4efte JDM.

To setup idle: have the idle screw fully in.

Set the throttle stop to 850rpm. Engine running 

Turn the idle screw to 950/1000rpm, I use 1000rpm as base oil pressure is better and alot more stable. 

Now set the tps using a multimeter so the idle position just touches. And plug the tps plug in. 

We have found a timed delay between idle mode and acceleration mode/map on these ems types. So to increase response again you can set the tps so it's just off the idle switch this keeps the ems in acceleration mode. Setting up the tps/ems to stay in acceleration mode has no real affect on the idle, but does have an affect on mpg & emmisions, it still idles nice. 

You will how ever need to drimmel/modify the tps base cam at the wot position, because you have now advanced its position. the wot position is now going to switch on early before throttle flap wide open position. You need to synchronise these 2 elements. On the factory ems the wot position switch once activated overfuels for safety killing peak hp. This is set to come on just before the throttle valve is in the wide open position. 

Be warned this is a critical area of the map. Use the wot switch, never delete it, but good gains are achievable in this area of the map. 

The ae101 ems does not run a chipped key/factory immobiliser so a aftermarket immobiliser is also recommended to protect from theft. 

More information to come on ems pin swaps. 

The pin swap needed to get the ae101 4efe ems to run on the ep91 4efe is in this topic. (It's near the end of the topic).

you also need to delete the tps idle position on the bigger 4efte throttle, to do this I simply cut the green&red wire at the tps. 

Do not cut it at the ems side it will stop the map sensor from working. 

after installing the 4efte larger throttle and tps on the ae101 ems using the ukdm ep91 4efe wiring, we noticed that the vehicle would cut the fuel pump if the idle switch was used/activated another reason for the idle position delete. we are currently looking into why this would happen. we have carried out a dtc (blink code) read out on the ems and no faults are showing. time to dig into the wiring. 

update on the ep91 4efe wiring/fuel cut on 4efte tps idle switch activation. the map sensor uses this tps idle wire, we can see now why fuel cut would happen also how the 4efe factory tps affects fueling. we could see something affecting the map sensor signal as we ran the 4efe tps and ems now we know what was happening.   

The idle up thermostatic valve on the 4efte as well as the 4efe throttle heater run at engine coolant thermostate temperature a massive 89deg C. By removing this you gain a good chunk of torque especially in the winter months. 

Be warned mpg does suffer. This is the reason for the heater to target mpg in my opinion. 

We are getting threw the errors we are finding 1 by 1. The engine runs so so smooth and throttle is very very responsive now. 

We have also taken fuel temps for the first time this year. Last year at the same time we recorded 37degC in tank temps. We have just recorded 11deg static temps with the engine running for 40min. we are hoping this to drop lower when the vehicle is in motion using the fuel cooler. 

Edited by Sam44