Starlet Ep91 4efe turbo conversion.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Dan is out in the car now adjusting the fueling tables on the piggy back. 

He is blown away with the tune/setup. 

Torque everywhere in rpm range he is telling me. Turbo comes on at 2.5k and is fully on by 3.2k. 7psi. Very efficient throttle, easy to accelerate to target road speed with out opening the throttle alot. NO NEED TO BE AGRESSIVE WITH THE THROTTLE.

The setup at present is:

Standard td04l turbo, e11 corrola inlet with the throttle mounting plate ID opened out to match the 4efte larger ID throttle also the plate has been widend to cover the idle ports. 4efte throttle body ported out (mainly idle valve ports deleted and throttle flap spindle ground down) . Ae101 gen1 4efe ems, with the idle position deleted. 5kg alloy flywheel, visco even length narrow diameter exhaust manifold externally gated, (no smaller than a td04l turbo to be used on this setup/intake manifold) 

G60 close ratio 6speed using the Cusco rs1.5 lsd. These are the main elements to this tune. Aem piggy back ems. 

This is the c160 box bellow it has the overdrive 6th. The c60 g6 & g6r 6th is near the same as the c52 & c56 5th. 70mph in 6th is around 3.2krpm depending on wheel size and torque output, the c60 tops out around 145mph, slightly down on the c52 & c56 because of the final drive targeting acleration. 

The g6 and g6r are a true sports close ratio box. 

We are also using the D valve design were the hks bov stays open till boost starts to come in. 4efte higher lift inlet cam. Electronic boost controller. Also back on the 4efte gray 295cc injectors 4bar fix fuel pressure, better fuel efficiency. With these injectors running over 80% duty at present. Until the new bosh units go In. 

Of course there is much more in there, but these are the main (key) elements for anyone wanting to replicated to tune. Very impressive. Very easy to drive fast. Easy on the engine. 

6krpm limit. 

I'm hoping to get it dynoed in july. 

As soon as I'm back I'll post up 0 to 100mph times, super car times. 

I must admit doing this little car over the last 18 months has been a true joy, with all the help and info from some fantastic people. I've never come across a car with so many interchangeable parts, helping to bring together a near complete perfect road setup. with parts ready to swap in for some track fun. 

Tdo5 16g

4efte inlet 

4efe inlet cam. 

Also very affordable to do. 

1621171515389108070679.jpg

1621171559231952382737.jpg

16211716502581473515611.jpg

16211717007161746579954.jpg

Size difference between UK ep91 4efe throttle body & JDM ep91 4efte glanza v throttle body. 

Back to back 

1621344181446471688845.jpg

Additional idle adjustment screw found on the 4efte and not present on the UK 2nd generation 4efe. 

16213448236592068649066.jpg

ID measurements. Firsts 4efte = 50mm

UK gen2 4efe. = 45mm

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

little update dan has been back upto the starbo  to finish off the electric wing mirrors. as well as make a start on the paseo. hes really getting very fast doing these toyota's. 

all working but no electric folding as yet this ill do. 

IMG_2736.JPG

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks dale. 

yeh im trying to get it as modern as i can, just because im getting on abit now and need my comforts.

i like the advance name also so to do a tribute (paint color on the outside, i need to get it as advanced as a starlet can be. 

i do like the fact that if people see it running these badges they can search it and come across the turbo. gives them an idea of whats under the bonnet. 

LOTS MORE TO COME. 

Edited by Sam44
On 6/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, Sam44 said:

thanks dale. 

yeh im trying to get it as modern as i can, just because im getting on abit now and need my comforts.

i like the advance name also so to do a tribute (paint color on the outside, i need to get it as advanced as a starlet can be. 

i do like the fact that if people see it running these badges they can search it and come across the turbo. gives them an idea of whats under the bonnet. 

LOTS MORE TO COME. 

With thease old cars you got to have what comforts you can get in them, This nice weather makes me wish I had the air con in my SRs! Still have it in the GT tho which is great for when its hot! 

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, Sam44 said:

I'm back on this very soon now. I've ordered some glanza v front calipers pad carriers and new yellow stuff pads and larger discs. as well as a seal kit. 

Fyi Paseo carriers are the same as standard glanza/gt ones

• 1 month later...

I've been testing fuel temp, the relationship it has with power output from the cylinders = afr? Affecting cylinder temp and exhaust gas temp as well as inlet temps. 

12:1 (11.3+:1 with the denso injectors) or 14.7:1. Also using exhaust gas temps to see what happens here with a rich fuel mix. (Over 14.7:1 = lambda 1) 

Also fuel pressure looking at exhaust gasses, CO, HC, CO2, O2, NOX  and HO2. As well as looking at the spark plugs to gauge the best fuel pressure to run the denso injectors at = best fuel atomisation (air & fuel mixing). 

I've have started this research on my modified 5efe 1.5ltr (1500cc) paseo.  

A little video to help explain what's going on. Cooling and why people use a rich afr. Does a rich afr affect exhaust, cylinder and intake charge temps. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 5 months later...

So after being parted for several months, I'm back in (working on the starlet) again. Reunited.

It started up straight away. 

The paseo has gone into the body shop. 

First job replace engine oil and filter. (Lots of mapping done on this oil) 

Next job will be to mod the inlet to take the Audi throttle body.

The off side/right drive shaft gearbox seal has developed a small leak, since being parked up!?.

16485606519361579403878.jpg

Edited by Sam44

Little update. 

Because of the design of the early Turbo spool system employed long narrow/even length inlet/exhaust runners + inlet D valve & twin throttle body + preturbo throttle on the engine we have decided to fit and try the masive standard Td05 20g turbo I got cheap. 

It's starting to build good pressure at 3krpm and full on by 4krpm, (.5bar at present). There is still some work to do to fine tune the pre turbo throttle system. (As can be seen fitted in the previous post picture). 

The power delivery is kinder to the near standard 4efe engine smoother but Waw kicks fooooking ass. 

The turbo is coming in right around 4efe cam peak flow rate. Very impressive smooth strong torque delivery from the engine. With inlet charge temps down by as much as 10degC+. The drop in inlet temps will allow a smaller volume shorter rout front mounted intercooler/air to air heat exchanger to be fitted this will again help increase spool up times. 

I'm confident this turbo will hit 230-250hp on a near standard 4efe with equal torque. 

The hyb td04 turbo power surge was to aggresive for the 4efe standard connrods plus at & going over 1bar intake temps started to rise a sign that the turbos becoming inefficient requiring a better cooler core £ £ £.

Instead the £60 second hand Td05 has happened saving quite abit of money. A nice match for the tune/setup to be fair. 

IMG_20211219_103805.thumb.jpg.5b273ffedbde2b3d10a831e9b56b07d4.jpg.24c8bb1f694eaab480a7116bc13fc0eb.jpg

Edited by Sam44