4e-fe engine bay wiring diagram plus ignition help

Hi I have a 1.3 4e-fe n/a 16v starlet engine it has the distributor that i think is electronic e.g does not have a coil wire going to a coil e.g standard ht lead type thing like on hold cars, it just has the 4 ht leads going to the spart plugs and then two electrical push/clip connectors one with 4 wires and one with 2 wires.

Im trying to work out what these 4 and 2 wires go to as i only have the engine with a cut loom and do not have the car it came out off so im unable to look at the bulkhead and see if there is a coil igniter type thing, I presume some of the wires would go to something like that and some to the ecu and some possible power etc... Hence an original engine bay loom wiring diagram would be awesome.

I wont get into what this is all for at this stage as it will complicate things lol but if anyone has the wiring diagram or knows where these wires go or even can take pictures from there starlet that would be great.

Thanks Matt.

Edited by Mattlmr
typo

Just an update  worked out that the starlet has a distributor and coil all in one so from what i can see it does not have any kind of external coil or igniter. I also managed to find a wiring diagram

ep91%204efe%20ECU%20wiring%20diagram.jpg

But im a little confused as to the 4 wires that go to the ecu from the distributor, im wondering what the ecu sends out off them e.g do you think its a single for each cylinder to fire? or is it the distributor sending to the ecu?

I might be able to help here. I've just bought a starlet ep91 UK that was a crazy spec turbo convertion the lad I got it off gave me his build journal and in it there is a wiring diagram to convert a UK ep91 to run on a 4efte jdm ecu. 

Edited by Sam44
Correcting a paragraph
17 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

I might be able to help here. I've just bought a starlet ep91 UK that was a crazy spec turbo convertion the lad I got it off gave me his build journal and in it there is a wiring diagram to convert a UK ep91 to run on a 4efte jdm ecu. 

Hi thanks that might help, would be good to see it. 🙂

These are some of the wiring diagrams in here. This is a ep82 4efte ecu on a ep91 UK convertion diagram and additional loom needed to fit the external coil and 4efte dizzy. There is so much in this book and all starlet tuning related.  

It goes on to explain turbo pressure and spark plugs required and after 1bar it's best to run standard tip spark plugs with a higher kv output coil a 50kv c4 coil was fitted here and larger plug gaps. 

Edited by Sam44
29 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

These are some of the wiring diagrams in here. This is a ep82 4efte ecu on a ep91 UK convertion diagram and additional loom needed to fit the external coil and 4efte dizzy. There is so much in this book and all starlet tuning related.  

It goes on to explain turbo pressure and spark plugs required and after 1bar it's best to run standard tip spark plugs with a higher kv output coil a 50kv c4 coil was fitted here and larger plug gaps. Helped achive a 20% power increase. 

The 4 wires running to the ecu from the distributor on the n/a are:

NE

NE- : these are crank trigger input. 

IGT: this is the spark event request sent out by the ecu to fire the coil.

IGF: this is a feedback signal sent by the coil back to the ecu when a successful spark event has took place. Essentially if the ecu doesn’t receive a IGF signal back from the coil for ‘x’ amount of times it’ll log a fault code. 

4EFTE run seperate coil, igniter and distributor. 

The distributor also has 4 wires, however they are NE, G1, G2 and G-. 

NE: Crank signal trigger input

G1 and G2: 2 x cam signal input , each are 180deg apart to help with quick starting also.

G-: Signal Ground 

hope that helps, 

2 hours ago, RobSR said:

The 4 wires running to the ecu from the distributor on the n/a are:

NE

NE- : these are crank trigger input. 

IGT: this is the spark event request sent out by the ecu to fire the coil.

IGF: this is a feedback signal sent by the coil back to the ecu when a successful spark event has took place. Essentially if the ecu doesn’t receive a IGF signal back from the coil for ‘x’ amount of times it’ll log a fault code. 

4EFTE run seperate coil, igniter and distributor. 

The distributor also has 4 wires, however they are NE, G1, G2 and G-. 

NE: Crank signal trigger input

G1 and G2: 2 x cam signal input , each are 180deg apart to help with quick starting also.

G-: Signal Ground 

hope that helps, 

Sorry just a quick one, the 4 wires from the distributor on the N/A engine 

1? NE

2. NE- : these are crank trigger input. 

3. IGT: this is the spark event request sent out by the ecu to fire the coil.

4. IGF: this is a feedback signal sent by the coil back to the ecu when a successful spark event has took place. Essentially if the ecu doesn’t receive a IGF signal back from the coil for ‘x’ amount of times it’ll log a fault code. 

ive marked them above numbered 1 to 4, number 1 where does that go as you mentioned 4 wires which it has but i only read descriptions of locations of 3 of them. Prob just me mis reading it lol

9 hours ago, RobSR said:

They all go to the ecu, 1. NE - ecu, 2. NE-  also ecu 

I thought one of the NE was the crank trigger input? (does this not come from a crank position sensor? or does the crank position sensor go to ecu then the ecu tells the distributor the crank signal? Looking at the diagrams i think they both go to ecu so the ecu must be telling the distributor the crank position.

and the other NE if that goes to ECU do you know what it does?

Sorry for all the questions. Eeek!

Both are crank trigger, it’s a 2 wire reluctor sensor so has a + and -. 

The starlet doesn’t have a crank sensor on the crank. It takes it from the dizzy, as we know 2 crank rotations for one rotation on the head, so if you take the dizzy pulse and half it you have theoretical crank angle. 

5 minutes ago, RobSR said:

Both are crank trigger, it’s a 2 wire reluctor sensor so has a + and -. 

The starlet doesn’t have a crank sensor on the crank. It takes it from the dizzy, as we know 2 crank rotations for one rotation on the head, so if you take the dizzy pulse and half it you have theoretical crank angle. 

Thanks that makes sense, So hypothetically (and this is an odd one so dont ask lol) if we wanted to run the 4e-fe N/A engine with its original distributor and built in coil off the 4efhe Ecu/loom 

we would connect-

4e-fe N/A                      4e-fhe Turbo

NE                                    ?

NE-                                   ?    

IGT:                                 ?

IGF:                                ?

35 minutes ago, RobSR said:

So you’ll be running a 4efte ecu? If so it won’t work, as you need the ‘G1’ cam signal that isn’t on the 4efe dizzy. 

Kinda lol its complicated, Well i wondered as you said the crank single is taken from the distributor on the N/A so is that not  technically the same as the cam signal? wondered if we could trick it by possibly connecting cam signal to crank signal or something like that?

7 minutes ago, RobSR said:

No as the 4efte ecu is expecting a 24 tooth pulse for crank, then the 4efte dizzy has another trigger wheel in which is the single cam pulse used for 720 sync. 

Ho ok no problem thanks. i shall go back to the drawing board.

Does the 4e-fhe distributor physically fit the N/A 4e-fe engine? This is obviously the easiest option, i was probably just trying to be clever/tight as the na dizzys are far more plentiful than the 4efte ones.

• 3 months later...

I've just installed a Jacobs electronic C4 coil to my 4efe turbo conversation and I was just working out weather I needed to run a ballist resistor with the coil on the Toyota 4efe system. 

This diagram above shows the additional wiring loom needed to convert a ep91 4efe UK to a Jdm ep82 ECU the distributor ignition amplifier and coil is needed as well as the map sensor off the ep82 4efte these items all swap over. 

I'll tidy up the above diagrams on ecad software and put them on here.