I bought a 1998 Starlet as a cheap daily. Its completely original bar the speedlines which I put on when I got the car.

Here are some photos I took shortly after buying the car, excuse the dirt, I cannot keep it clean because I drive 70 miles a day to commute to work and havent had a weekend free to clean it.

49617592862_b147b28e96_b.jpg

49617593607_2f64e80274_b.jpg

49617333471_cd4808c2c2_b.jpg

49617333611_c78102b7b3_b.jpg

I have since done the following work:

New timing belt and tensioner

Alternator belt (It snapped on my commute home one evening)

OS outer CV joint.

New distributor cap and rotor arm.

I plan to keep it fairly original as I need it reliable and comfortable for everyday duties, however I am planning the following:

Rev counter clocks

JDM size front plate, new standard rear plate

OEM fitted mats with Starlet logo

JDM Grille badge

e11 Corolla inlet manifold.

e10 corolla 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

25mm SR lowering springs

New front shocks

SR boot spoiler

SR TTE backbox

Front and rear strut braces

Remove or colour code the side strips

Glanza front and rear seats

Edited by neacon88
  • 2 weeks later...

No real developments, but these arrived today:

49659138143_f533ddc0d2_b.jpg

I went to fit my JDM grille badge but when I popped off the chrome bonnet badge I noticed there are 2 holes underneath! The starlet I park beside in work had no bonnet badge and no holes so i assumed they were glued on. Oh well, Ill have to fill and paint the bonnet at a later stage. I don't want to have a grille badge AND a bonnet badge as the front would look too "crowded"

That is impressive weekly mileage to put up on a GTT.

I actually bought the speedlines years ago, there were up on adverts.ie, full set of 5 rims freshly powdercoated, no tyres or centrecaps. I got rainsports for them, a set of universal caps and got some speedline gel coated decals made up. I had them on my MK2 Jetta then for a few years (I'm also big into VWs)

37201907475_1b27c14a69_c.jpg

Once I got the starlet I knew the speedlines had to go back where they were meant to be!

17 hours ago, neacon88 said:

Small update, fitted some rev counter clocks. Followed a really useful guide that I found on this forum, very pleased with the results, look way better than the standard cluster.

49690775651_f905ef3bff_b.jpg

49690242788_37a4d64062_b.jpg

49691087217_420f26a849_b.jpg

Looks great mate! Hard to do? I've got a set I'm gonna fit when I get chance

39 minutes ago, Keviano27 said:

Looks great mate! Hard to do? I've got a set I'm gonna fit when I get chance

Thanks!

No not too hard to do. Its fiddly to get your hands behind the clocks to release the plugs and speedo cable, but once you know what to feel for you can squeeze and release them. Each plug has a tab on the top that you push down to release the plug. The speedo cable has a tab on the side that you squeeze.

The wiring was pretty straightforward. There are two guides on here depending on what model of car you have, as the wiring can differ. The one that worked for my car was this one:

https://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/12429-how-2-solida-to-sr-dials/?fromsearch=1

3 hours ago, neacon88 said:

Thanks!

No not too hard to do. Its fiddly to get your hands behind the clocks to release the plugs and speedo cable, but once you know what to feel for you can squeeze and release them. Each plug has a tab on the top that you push down to release the plug. The speedo cable has a tab on the side that you squeeze.

The wiring was pretty straightforward. There are two guides on here depending on what model of car you have, as the wiring can differ. The one that worked for my car was this one:

https://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/12429-how-2-solida-to-sr-dials/?fromsearch=1

Sweet, cheers mate 👍🏻