Wax stat and idle control valve delete

I am looking into removing the wax stat and idle control valve. If the whole wax stat assembly is removed can you just put a blanking plate like in the image below? Or any other modification is required?

when both wax stat and icv are removed, can all the pipes and hoses in the second photo be removed aswell?

665C3606-CB09-4321-AF9F-9ABB6F91EE85.jpeg

3EBE438A-41B8-4C86-A942-1EF0F0993FDA.jpeg

Yep and yep but not on the UK 4efe ep91. Only on the turboed 4efte ep82 and ep91.

The way I did it was to remove the wax state and clean out the throttle body of any oil and muck.

I then used fiber fill to fill any port opening in the Venturi pre and post throttle flap apart from the idle screw bypass port ( basically the big ports on the lowwer floor of the Venturi throttle port) you can tell these ports as they will join the waxstat pre and post throttle flap. This will help remove any turbulent air. 

You then smoothen down the fiber fill and Venturi port with a drimmel using a yellow stone and then a barrel sander till smooth. WARNING DO NOT DRIMMEL THE THROTTLE FLAP AREA WERE THE THROTTLE FLAP SEATS. 

now screw the idle screw located on the top outer side of the tb under a rubber cap fully in. (Make sure this is cleaned out prior to setup for best results. 

Now remove and blank off the idle control valve and all these pipes in the picture. Or you can unplug the idle valve air pipe to this pipe in the picture and bung it with a bolt. 

Now remove the tps plastic cover (you can see the 2way switch inside) and undo the screws on the tps top and bottom ready to adjust. 

Start the engine and adjust the throttle arm stop screw small Allen key and locking nut till your idling at 800rpm.

Now tighten the locking nut. 

Set the tps so the bottom and middle switch contacts literally just touch, this is idle mode on the ems. Now thighten the tps screws. 

Now unscrew the idle screw on the top edge of the throttle body till 1000rpm or 900/950 is met. I set mine at 1000rpm for good oil pressure. 

Yeh the big 1 is air con and can be capped off if Aircon removed and the other is fuel tank vent charcoal filter pipe. In order to remove this and blank you need to remove the charcoal canister and vent the fuel tank to atmosphere. I use a motorbike vent valve on mine and make sure the vent pipe is above the wheel hight incase you go threw a puddle. 

A quick way to know if your charcoal canister is blocked/difective is if your fuel tank sucks air in when you refuel.

This is negative pressure produced when the fuel tank vent is fooooked not allowing air to replace the used fuel. This negative pressure draws fuel back to the tank that's trying to head towards the engine. 

This mod with an engine earthing kit and cleaned out map sensor with a shortened narrower pipe attached (silicon piping) ,gives great throttle response and boost build. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

excuse my ignorance...

but surely if you remove the idle control valve you will have idle issues no?

I have idle issues with mine currently and trying to educate myself on what could be the issue. many things point towards a faulty icv, i have tried cleaning it out as it was coked up but still have a similar issue..

On 3/31/2021 at 7:28 PM, snails ep91 said:

excuse my ignorance...

but surely if you remove the idle control valve you will have idle issues no?

I have idle issues with mine currently and trying to educate myself on what could be the issue. many things point towards a faulty icv, i have tried cleaning it out as it was coked up but still have a similar issue..

There is an idle screw under the rubber bung on the throttle body.