Looking for some advise 

I've contacted TTE performance known as Tongs turbo and they offer me two options :

- td04l ball bearing turbo in ct12 turbine housing TD12 

- td04l ball bearing turbo in td04l turbine housing 

I know Tongs turbos are known as the best CT9 hybrids but are they still the best and worth to spend that money?

Would't be better to buy Hybrid turbo from Race-Tech,Midlands Turbo,TD etc.

I know TD04 kits are much cheaper but i rather go for CT9 hybrid.

Appreciate any advise. 

image0.jpeg

Edited by bailiff666

thats alot of cash. i wouldnt bother with the bb td04. considering you can pick those turbos up so cheap its just not worth  spending that much on one. You could just get a bb VF turbo of similar size.

Midland turbo have a good rep and liam sorted out my ct9 hybrid which i sent to him in a box of bits and its still gonig strong about 5 years later.

TTE? Toyota team Europe?. 

Hello there

Can you send me port dimensions and number of blades on the compressor wheel and exhaust turbine and dimentions if possible I'll let you know. The tongs is the best Dyno graph I've seen on a ct9 hyb by the way. 

Edited by Sam44
1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

Hello there

Can you send me port dimensions and number of blades on the compressor wheel and exhaust turbine and dimentions if possible I'll let you know. The tongs is the best Dyno graph I've seen on a ct9 hyb by the way. 

I haven't heard of anyone buying one new in a long time, there were a couple of different specs of the older models. I have one here I can check if you like?

Theses from what I'm reading, the Toyota made ct9 hyb turbos are not lasting long from new I believe this has something to do with the compressor wheel and turbine size difference as well as exhaust temperature. So a ball bearing turbo could help here. 

Also for boost pressure around 1bar I'd only run the ct9b exhaust port diameter (larger) and bigger turbine. 

Edited by Sam44
4 hours ago, JamesD89 said:

Better off picking up a Tongs hybrid and having it rebuilt for that money surely? Do you have to supply the housing?

Hard to get used Tongs turbos these days James that's why I'm considering to get new one.

Don't need to supply anything.

6 hours ago, Bean said:

thats alot of cash. i wouldnt bother with the bb td04. considering you can pick those turbos up so cheap its just not worth  spending that much on one. You could just get a bb VF turbo of similar size.

Midland turbo have a good rep and liam sorted out my ct9 hybrid which i sent to him in a box of bits and its still gonig strong about 5 years later.

I would prefer to stick to CT9 setup as ive already have ct9 mani and decat.

I was thinking about other ct9 hybrid turbo brands but i want to find out what so special about Tongs turbos.

4 hours ago, Sam44 said:

Hello there

I have no idea about those details mate. 

@JamesD89 thanks for uploading pictures maybe some more experience members can tell more about Tongs hybrids.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:48 AM, bailiff666 said:

Looking for some advise 

I've contacted TTE performance known as Tongs turbo and they offer me two options :

- td04l ball bearing turbo in ct9 turbine housing 900euro

- td04l ball bearing turbo in td04l turbine housing 800euro

I know Tongs turbos are known as the best CT9 hybrids but are they still the best and worth to spend that money?

Would't be better to buy Hybrid turbo from Race-Tech,Midlands Turbo,TD etc.

I know TD04 kits are much cheaper but i rather go for CT9 hybrid.

Appreciate any advise. 

i'm not sure how effective td04l internals would be in a ct9 turbine housing, the ct9 housing is fairly restrictive even for a stock ct9 and hi-flow/hybrid ct9

are there any dyno graphs for these turbos, specs, etc? again, there is not a lot of information to go here so its hard to make an informed decision

may be just a regular hybrid ct9 could be investigated if they have that option, these work nicely on the 4efte once you are not chasing crazy hp number and want a nice daily driver.

if going anything td04l, i'd suggest you get a full td04l set up (manifold, d/pipe, td04l with its exhaust housing, etc) or even run a tf035 if you want something that is like a hybrid ct9 but should probably flow better top end wise and make a few more hp

The turbo in the picture is a tongs ct9 hyb and it is running a ct9a (ct9) smaller exhaust turbine port. 

I'm talking to someone ho put the ct9b exhaust side on a tongs hyb but he says it does loose spool time, and topend pull is alot better he then used the 4efe inlet cam to offset the spool time back to normal. 

From what I'm reading these use a T25 Garrett cast alloy compressor wheel (inlet turbine) very old school tech.

Alot of engines fail with these turbos. Egt at higher boost levels and speeds the killer. The exhaust port is way to small. 

The ballbearing td04 core will support the size difference better and turn\rotate more freely. 

Benefits would be alot better service life + Spools up sooner and faster.

This with the ,11 blade billet alloy compressor wheel would really kick ass (as in the picture) I would expect the inlet\compressor wheel to be larger (race specific). This needs a larger exhaust port diameter at least around the ct9b diameter bigger would be again better. If you can get this information. 800 would be a good price and you should see around tof35 levels 

Edited by Sam44

https://www.shop.mambatek.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=Ct+Toyota+td05 

Some of these will fit. 

Looks to be a very good spec. For the 4e\5e

https://www.shop.mambatek.com/GTX-Turbocharger-TOYOTA-1HD-FTE-Land-Cruiser-CT15B-Orginal-wheel-001-0339.htm

As can be seen prices are around the same so i would say this tte hyb is around the right price. 

Also these adaptor plates for the ct26 : after checking measurements this does not fit the stand 4efte flange sorry. 

1566471985045-1714631758.jpeg

Edited by Sam44

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/dyno-of-a-gen4-with-ct15b-vs-ct20b-at-various-boost-levels.425425/

Some info on the ct15b and ct20b 

If you want to either run a big safer on lowwer boost or smaller high boost turbos I can give you spec lists to suit the tune and get the most from the turbo. 

Things like the narrower zisco ram's horn manifold help big turbos spool better, 4efe inlet cam and rolla tubular inlet will make a standard ct20 spool alot sooner, And save you alot of money, the fse adjustable fuel reg will also help you, it has to be the fse fpr it's the characteristics of this regulator that lets you run lower fuel pressure at lower rpm then slowly raises to topend power pressures affecting spool up and topend power. you can stay on standard boost pressure keeping reliability but aiming for 200hp with much better torque. These are all cheap items found on eBay and on owners sites. 

In all honesty I've seen alot of ct9 hyb problems (high boost pressure related) high egt.

You are welcome to message me for further advice and no need for expensive ems ECU control for around 200hp. 

Edited by Sam44

i wonder gow they would squeez the tdo4l tirbine shaft in ct9 hotside its tight for tfo35hm already 

i swear by 19t tfo jobby  fast spool big top end  get that build for 550euros thats an option to squeez in a ct9 housing / td housing flows 10 times better tho 

Colin nice to talk to you and see your still active. I've read so many of your posts on this little car. BIG FAN. 

Colin will know alot more than me. I've been reading alot on CT turbo fitment and what I can see the ct9&ct9b housing has to be used in all CT turbo adaptations\hyb in order to fit the 4efte standard manifold flanges. 

So I'd say yes, this hyb you have found is probably the best option for a CT turbo. 

The information I've found is the ct12 exhaust housing also fits but has a narrower internal diameter compared to the ct9. I've seen some ct20 installed into the ct9 housing it requires the exhaust turbine port to be opened out to fit the ct20 turbine diameter. 

Edited by Sam44
On 4/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, 5e colin said:

Another option weld 4bolt ct9 flange to td/tf housing  and make adaptor plate for downpipe there's many options depends how good your DIY is

Agreed. And great to see a tunner that can see out of the set formats of standard tunning.

I do think that a ct9a and b exhaust turbine housing and diameter of the port are to small and restrictive for anything bigger than a 13t or T25 with an 11 blade billet compressor wheel the best option to improve base to mid range rpm power rather than a 6x6 or 7x7 billet wheel these wheels provide better top end rpm power but also drive up egt (exhaust gas temp) which is down to back pressure produced by the exhaust turbine design and size. This kills engines. 

I will look to see if you can get a 7 blade ct9b turbine design. Or 8 blade, from what I can see the ct9b has a bigger exhaust port diameter and a 9 blade exhaust turbine. 

I know that the 15t billet 7+7 was to big to run on a tdo4l exhaust housing and standard turbine. The egt and torque drop off was not worth  boost levels over 1bar. 

I'm running a 13t 11 blade billet compressor wheel on a tdo4l 9blade aftermarket turbine with no spool time lost it hits full boost around 5krpm and improvements everywhere in the rpm range especially topend power and reduced egt. Its very smooth on power delivery no surge at .9bar at present on a 4efe engine and looking good for 1bar. Very controllable throttle and pulls like a train. Costing me to build around £450. All balanced and new seal kit. Before this, I bought it with a 15t 7+7 billet tdo4hl 11blade turbine and housing, and I'd say it was better than a tdo5 16g going off the graphs I've seen on these, crazy topend power. With the tdo5 16g spooling up later in the rpm range. 

From the information I've seen the ct9 hybrids have some very fundamental design problems and crazy back pressures with running the ct9b housing loosing to much rpm spool time to make a hybrid work with this housing on a 4efte. A better turbo choice the best option. 

Saying this the ct9 hyb turbo found here should cure alot of these issues. 

Its worth a go with it.

I would not go any bigger than a 17t on a tdo4hl housing the 19 and 20t Dyno graphs are ugly to say the least. In my opinion. The 19t tdo4l hardly produces much more power with a surge increase, spool loss and higher egt levels.

Edited by Sam44

Quick update guys 

IN SEARCH OF POWER 🧐
hello everyone recently I’ve tested my car on DYNO and the results came out surprisingly low ☹️ any suggestions why? 

Glanza V stock 4EFTE
DET3 ecu 
Tongs TD12 hybrid 
Blitz specR EBC set to 0.99bar
External waste gate Turbosmart 38mm
Fujitsubo exhaust full system 2.5
FMIC with short route pipes
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Tuning Development Manifold/Decat pipe/screamer pipe 
Denso iridium spark plugs 
Magnecore 85 ignition wires 
HKS mushroom air filter
Aluminum twin core half rad 
Oil catch can 

Result: 176hp and 210nm

59553105-7377-45F5-AA67-B492407DBFC5.jpeg

1 hour ago, bailiff666 said:

Quick update guys 

IN SEARCH OF POWER 🧐
hello everyone recently I’ve tested my car on DYNO and the results came out surprisingly low ☹️ any suggestions why? 

Glanza V stock 4EFTE
DET3 ecu 
Tongs TD12 hybrid 
Blitz specR EBC set to 0.99bar
External waste gate Turbosmart 38mm
Fujitsubo exhaust full system 2.5
FMIC with short route pipes
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Tuning Development Manifold/Decat pipe/screamer pipe 
Denso iridium spark plugs 
Magnecore 85 ignition wires 
HKS mushroom air filter