• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seen this in the flesh this week can honestly say jases attention to detail is something else and how the hell he got that interior so clean is beyond me this car will be a massive credit to him once he finishes it 

21 hours ago, JamesG said:

Good work with this mate, really tidy GT. Liking the front mount, looks like a good bit of kit with the short route hot pipe :thumbsup:.

Cheers mate it seems a great fit, just wish it came with some actual mounts! 

20 hours ago, burty said:

Seen this in the flesh this week can honestly say jases attention to detail is something else and how the hell he got that interior so clean is beyond me this car will be a massive credit to him once he finishes it 

You’re too kind mate thank you very much, was a pleasure to meet you in the flesh and to have a good old natter about cars 

On 4/30/2021 at 4:21 PM, Pikey009 said:

You’re too kind mate thank you very much, was a pleasure to meet you in the flesh and to have a good old natter about cars 

Certainly won't be the last time mate 👍 I wanna see it on the road

I got the car started on Wednesday for the first time since Feb. Started on the button and ran really nicely. No leaks from the rocker which was great. Does have a few issues though:

. The exhaust manifold gasket is blowing (typical as it’s the only one I didn’t change because it looked spot on). Got a genuine one on order.

. Downpipe to front pipe slightly blowing but that’s ok as it needs to come of for the next issue on the list.

. The sump has a slight leak near the crank pulley.

So I’ve loosened the turbo kit ready to fit the new gasket when it arrives. I’ll mock up some intercooler brackets next week to get it all mounted up properly. Then it’ll be up on the ramp to do the sump and re-fit the downpipe. 

In the mean time I’ve been sorting out dodgy wiring and tidying up vac lines- right bloody mess:

AB0B2A10-D721-4FB1-8331-EDBDFFE08C79.jpeg

4786D9A1-4D0C-4BA1-A52C-433F83A6A024.jpeg

Used a nice bit of pre- shaped vac hose from some work I did on my fabia a while back. Has two different sized ends which worked perfectly as a step down.

8B6F4797-3A2F-49BB-8B3A-9209A70423DD.jpeg

A91CFFA4-1332-4E0A-AAC7-17E0384B13F9.jpeg

Edited by Pikey009
  • 2 weeks later...

Got everything bolted back up and was happy to find no more blowing issues. So next up was mounting the intercooler properly. Once I was happy with the position of the core I mock mounted the support brackets and marked up the crash bar.

BDBE9F14-69A8-4B9F-A688-E07782BFEC57.jpeg

Nice clean finish and worked a treat. I widened two of the wholes on the brackets to accept the M6 bolts. The brackets are from screw fix and I had to buy 25 as you can’t buy them individually! But they are lightweight, strong and galvanised. 

070A826D-B38A-4539-8D77-962A9F9D34B4.jpeg

EC243930-6137-450D-BED0-FB58F8C9ABFA.jpeg

I ordered some threaded rubber dampers from eBay. The idea is that they will provide a little bit of give rather than solid mounting the core that would transmit shock through the threaded mounts. I had to trim them a little so that they could sit flush.

Tip: if you’re trimming a thread, wind a nut on before you begin to cut. It can be used as a guide, stops you damaging other threads and once you’ve cut through, as you wind it off it re-cuts the original thread so that it’s easier to wind in to where ever it’s going.

2B8A6A82-1E0A-457F-B7C0-86173B398FA3.jpeg

A61B233C-C2D3-411A-AB41-8FF0353BC969.jpeg

Got the core mounted nicely and then tightened all of the pipe work which fits perfectly. Really happy with he result but I’ll have to trim some of the front bumper to get it to sit on properly. This won’t be visible once fitted. Next, I need to Fabricate the two upper mounts. 

F2618E36-1FA2-4F6B-B839-CBD6774D1884.jpeg

CA6C9761-E7CE-49CA-85D8-EC74EAEAEBAD.jpeg

I’ll mock up the brackets tomorrow. I also trimmed the intake pipe so I should be able to get that mounted properly too- the air filter needs a support bracket making. 

next week I’ll be tackling the leaky sump