Next up were the FMIC upper brackets. I knew  the ones that were supplied with the kit would be useful for something. First I made a copy from card board.

771C1F4E-322C-42CA-9BBA-6975EB5D54F9.jpeg

Edited by Pikey009
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the brackets all fitted up using a nylock and washers to help spread the stress. The core is really fixed in place now while still allowing that slight bit of movement that you want

8FDB36A7-4FF9-408A-950C-A1C05102816C.jpeg

100517FA-EDEE-41B1-8022-26D047735B5D.jpeg

A176F10C-D5EB-4D15-BDCA-A3B01D33FF91.jpeg

Finally got to drive the car again. The first boost saw a cooler pipe pop off. Once it played around a little for a better fitment she boosted really nicely and sounds v naughty.

5CAEAC28-0901-44C4-9577-153B05BA3369.jpeg

14CE3BAB-8CF5-4F77-9CFC-F4295164FCD0.jpeg

891F6C2F-2067-40B3-9233-B5133F823FE4.jpeg

0042587C-3B3A-4774-A3F3-02BA14F9731F.jpeg

So I’m suspecting the sump is sealed and the crank oil seal is leaking as it only drops oil when it’s running and hot. 

As the seal sits behind the timing gear, I thought I may aswell do the whole timing kit along with the water pump.

I also noticed a tiny bit of weeping from the turbo oil feed banjo connection so ordered the copper washers which have cured the issue. 

C4B52D93-1542-48CE-808A-DFBC98A00F45.jpeg

Tip I was told by a starlet legend to seal fmic pipes, spray the ends with hairspray just before fitting them, worked on mine when i was getting a slight leak from a Chinese pipe,  swapped the pipe eventually tho for something with meat on it lol, the Chinese pipe had ovaled lol 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:19 PM, burty said:

Great stuff mate how much was the timing kit as you know I need one ?

So for everything I listed, genuine from Toyota was £250. You can get cheaper blue print kits from the usual tuning companies for much cheaper though 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, SKINY said:

Tip I was told by a starlet legend to seal fmic pipes, spray the ends with hairspray just before fitting them, worked on mine when i was getting a slight leak from a Chinese pipe,  swapped the pipe eventually tho for something with meat on it lol, the Chinese pipe had ovaled lol 

Cheers mate, if I have any more issues with the pipes I’ll do that but to be honest she’s holding boost really well. I drove it again yesterday and it just feels really strong and boosts great.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, Pikey009 said:

So I’m suspecting the sump is sealed and the crank oil seal is leaking as it only drops oil when it’s running and hot. 

As the seal sits behind the timing gear, I thought I may aswell do the whole timing kit along with the water pump.

I also noticed a tiny bit of weeping from the turbo oil feed banjo connection so ordered the copper washers which have cured the issue. 

take a picture of the rods when the sump is off. if you have the thicker rods then you have the better earlier engine. from what ive been told and have seen these have a better cylinder head and thinker rods. keep up the great work.  

Cheers mate, I’ll take a pic if the sump is leaking a d I need to remove it. From what I’ve been told, it’s the slightly stronger engine. Makes me feel a little better even at the mild state of tune it’s in 

• 2 weeks later...

Crank seal, timing kit and belts all done along with the water pump. Everything looks original which was scary but I’m happy it’s all done.

It is the sump that’s leaking though so that’s next on the list. I’ll grab a pic of the rods. 

The rocker had been leaking down into the timing cover too so it’s now all cleaned up and spotless. There were bolts missing from the lower cover which had caused it to rub on the crank pulley so that’s another good fault sorted 

tidy as always. 

when sealing the sump becarful of the oil pump bearing exit oil journal this is found inwards of the oil pump to sump sealing surface, it faces down into the sump, and uses unfiltered oil supiled by the oil pump its self. its located just backwards of the crank pulley. ive seen afew blocked with sealant from the sump gasket sealant. this leads to over heating/failure of the oil pump bearing due to poor oil delivery and replenishment of the oil.      

Edited by Sam44
  • 3 weeks later...

I forgot to get a pic of the sump when I took it off, it was in a right state, sealant everywhere🤣 I just wanted to get cracking with cleaning it up and after 4 hours this is where I was

98F66452-C4AC-4DB7-835E-7DD2D296C1AB.jpeg

Edited by Pikey009

Got carried away as usual and thought I may as well sort the exterior too. Spent a good hour wire wheeling then finished with hammerite.

Will be re-sealing and refitting it today 

F20A26F8-C89F-47B2-A568-6CE42C0BDD6D.jpeg

8A1037E8-F97C-457F-928E-66396B3C2F9C.jpeg

Edited by Pikey009

Sorry mate the sump is on and sealed. Giving it two days and hoping it seals well. The silver cover is original to the car though and it’s the stronger bottom end, not that I plan on stressing it

Well the sump is still bloody leaking, bit of a kick in the teeth after all the effort i've put in. I'm away next week so it's going to be a while before I can get back on it to see what's going.

Fitted a gasket between the down pipe and front pipe, much better seal and no more exhaust leaks. 

Edited by Pikey009
  • 2 weeks later...

Think I’ve managed to seal the sump properly now but had limited time to really give the car a good shake out. I fitted the front lights to check they work and everything is spot on so I’ll be getting some decent bulbs.

Turns out the rear arch liner I thought was missing has actually been in the boot since I’ve owned the car 🤣 it just didn’t look like it belonged in the arch but hey Ho it’s saved me paying £50 for one. 

Edited by Pikey009