So pretty randomly I’ve ended up with a Mk2 GT. I wasn’t going to do a build thread but to be honest it’s a good way to log all the work that’s going to be happening.

These little things seem to be getting pretty rare now so I thought it’d be nice to see one getting some tlc. 

The car: A good mate had owned it for a number of years. I remember going out in it and loving it compared to all of the modern stuff. He took it off the road when he had to work away and that’s where it’s stayed in a lock up since then.

EC256224-B012-4E0C-8B34-E0879FAEEE4E.jpeg

Edited by Pikey009
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That’s how the car sits at the moment. It was going to get broken for parts as he just didn’t have the time to get it back on the road. Some parts were actually sold but nothing too major. So I offered to buy the car in order to save it. A few more pics of how it sits:

625FF470-958F-42CB-8207-FCF28410CA70.jpeg

C8F1E0D6-2806-4CF7-96FE-CBBAEEC9E785.jpeg

2CB74EE0-387A-4F8D-B9F0-B03FC46F464D.jpeg

79181233-456E-4EC0-A9B8-618734BD990E.jpeg

2397046C-07EF-467B-AB5E-234C27741859.jpeg

So a bit of work needed. It currently has:

. Meisters on it which weren’t that old at the time the car went off the road 

. Wilwoods for the front

. Evo seats which will be getting swapped for stock items

. Civic rad

. Rota slip streams 

Plans for the car:

. Give it a thorough once over and get it running

. It needed a map sensor and ignition module which I now have

. Re-seal the sump as it had a minor leak before it went off the road

. FMIC

. Filter relocation

. RW rocker cover and catch tank

. Remove the blue wrap and convert it back to black (a little worried about the lacquer peel Under the wrap)

. Be happy with a little over stock power and enjoy the car

Edited by Pikey009

Picked up a nice pair of stock seats at the weekend (still need to collect the car but COVID and work have delayed this)

I’ve now wet vacced the seats and they’ve come up even nicer 

BAD06D05-325C-48C5-8846-D055B58644E9.jpeg

I’d like some help with FMIC set ups that don’t cost more than the car and that aren’t huge, resulting in loads of lag and bumper chopping. 

Spoken to bean a little and he’s running an eBay special but can’t remember which kit. If anyone else has had a good experience with one then let me know. I’ll never be running more than 200bhp so I don’t need some crazy thing 

Edited by Pikey009

That's a beautiful colour bud happy days  :) love the black bits on it too. what all do you need for it ?

I have a j performance core and hdi hot pipe with random intake pipe knocked up 

Cheers mate, the wraps coming off though as it’s not my thing. 

have you got those for sale or is it your current set up? 

hows the caldina? Don’t see many around. Miss my GT4

That's my current setup just bud :)

yea loving the Dina life, 3 off them here within 10 mile lol and we all have starlets too, must be fecking mad loool

shame you don't like the wrap tho, very unique 

nice one mate. Yeah build threads are great for keeping a record of work done to the car and when it was done. im still gutted i lost my thread for the GT4 when the forum was hacked!

The pics seem to have dissapeared in my build thread of when i got that intercooler which is strange.

link

Thats definetely the kit i got and i think its as good as they get for ebay kits with a sensible sized core. But im sure i got mine from a uk seller as the postage just doubles the price on that one. have a good search and keep an eye out for one of those kits.

Edited by Bean

Thanks for the comments all. 

Sam- Massively underrated motors. Bean has my old one and I wish I’d never sold it but I panicked when my wife fell pregnant and thought I had to have something sensible.

Bean- Thanks for the link mate you’re a great help as always. I’ll try to stick to big updates on here as I’m sure what I’m planning on doing has been done hundreds of times on here already. 

Skiny- I’ll check it out mate 

2 hours ago, Pikey009 said:

Thanks for the comments all. 

Sam- Massively underrated motors. Bean has my old one and I wish I’d never sold it but I panicked when my wife fell pregnant and thought I had to have something sensible.

Bean- Thanks for the link mate you’re a great help as always. I’ll try to stick to big updates on here as I’m sure what I’m planning on doing has been done hundreds of times on here already. 

Skiny- I’ll check it out mate 

Get everything posted mate, its all about keeping the forum going doesnt matter if someone else has done it before you. Its all good starlet content. Im looking forward to seeing the updates as i know you will do a top job.

This is my first time on the owners forum, and I must admit I'm quite enjoying it. 

My line of work is demanding and stressful and very time consuming. So it's nice to be able to escape and come and see how you guys are getting on with your projects. 

These sites used to fill me with dread a few years ago when they were full of angry people. They do seem better recently. 

What year is the gt?

It has a silver cambelt cover, I've been told this engine has the thicker rods MK1. There's some thing I have listed about the sump difference.

4 hours ago, Bean said:

Get everything posted mate, its all about keeping the forum going doesnt matter if someone else has done it before you. Its all good starlet content. Im looking forward to seeing the updates as i know you will do a top job.

Cheers buddy I’ll do my best. These old jap motors need keeping on the road 

3 hours ago, Sam44 said:

This is my first time on the owners forum, and I must admit I'm quite enjoying it. 

My line of work is demanding and stressful and very time consuming. So it's nice to be able to escape and come and see how you guys are getting on with your projects. 

These sites used to fill me with dread a few years ago when they were full of angry people. They do seem better recently. 

What year is the gt?

It has a silver cambelt cover, I've been told this engine has the thicker rods MK1. There's some thing I have listed about the sump difference.

I agree actually, this place has improved loads. Less dodgy sellers too and more about helping fellow enthusiasts out.

Ill find out what year it is. It’s definitely a Mk2 and as far as I’m aware the original engine but who knows ha ha

5 hours ago, Sam44 said:

What year is the gt?

The earlier gt engines had the thicker rods yes and they got the silver cam belt covers.

2 hours ago, glanzadude said:

So my engine is stronger so it is a 1992?

image-0-02-04-a2c1f7966ce67a63ebf4ffbdf447954da7ede6c0b55e55cb0d07d684648a3245-V.jpg

Or someone changed the cam belt cover. Only way to really tell these days is to take the sump off and check.

23 hours ago, akyakapotter said:

GT sump is shallower  not as long as the Glanza  I have a GT one on mine as engine is out of a GT 

Thanks. I don't have much about the sump difference wrote down just that there's a difference. 

Because of the age of the vehicles now alot will have been swapped around. A very early mk2 could possibly have the MK1 engine. Especially as this 1 is the original engine. 

• 3 weeks later...

I travelled up today to give the car a good look over. Connor is a good mate and I trust him but I needed to see it for myself to know what I’m letting myself in for.

Where the lockup is you’d never know what was hiding inside. the car seems solid to be honest. The pics actually make it look worse than it is and I can’t wait to get cracking. 

Speaking of cracks, the exhaust mani is toast, the downpipe May be saveable but has at least two cracks so a ct9 powerup kit will be on the cards. 

6660C2BD-B36B-4A66-8343-599EFDA461DB.jpeg

5A3751C9-B5CB-4082-A957-4AEB90B64A38.jpeg