track tyes - can i have your opinions please?

I am going to buy a set of track tyres shortly and I'm deciding what to get.

i was either looking at the advan ado8r's or Nankang Ar-1

can i have your opinion on both please? or any other suggestions?

I am also debating between 205/50/15 and 195/50/15

I have a set of work RSB's they will be fitted too. unsure of offset but i think they are low 30's. Has anyone got experience of 205 tyres do they catch a lot? i know this is et dependant but is the extra cost worth it for extra grip?

Or can anyone recommend a good track tyre setup? do people go wider tyres on front and thinner on rear?

hopefully a discussion can be started and advice appreciated. 

thanks

As far as track tyres go I've had good experiences with Toyo 888 on my previous car, the new design gets good reviews and is usually cheaper than the advans. Advans are excellent though.

Keep the widths the same front and rear or you will upset the handling, wide on the front and thin on the rear is for drag racing to reduce rolling resistance which is no good when corners are involved.

Can't comment on preferred size though.

15 hours ago, Claymore said:

As far as track tyres go I've had good experiences with Toyo 888 on my previous car, the new design gets good reviews and is usually cheaper than the advans. Advans are excellent though.

Keep the widths the same front and rear or you will upset the handling, wide on the front and thin on the rear is for drag racing to reduce rolling resistance which is no good when corners are involved.

Can't comment on preferred size though.

I havent considered the toyos but will look into these. 

I know previously id read up on people using spacers on th front to have a wider track which was good for handling.. anyone shed any light on that?

i think i want to go for 205's but would like some input on the difference really.. want to stop wheel spin and gain traction but is it worth the price difference and clearance issues..

also any one used nankang ar-1s's?

The wider front track can be a mixed blessing, it can increase grip and stability at one end but I found on my previous car it affected the steering feel and created an increase in self centring. Not bad but still "different". The tyres were wider than standard and the wheel offset decreased to have a wider track all round.

I think the switch from a good road tyre to an R-compound track tyre will be plenty improvement anyway! Just remember they take a few laps to get heat in them so no "banzai" first lap bravery and remember if you run out of grip it will usually be at a higher speed so take care. 

Use spacers if you need to rather than worry about missing out on what effect they may or may not have. You can always add them at a later date assuming you don't need them to fit the 205's (no idea if that size fits the ep91)

Change one or two things, see how the car behaves and then you know what the next area is to work on.

Have fun

Edit: This is for a track car not for a road car? I wouldn't recommend R-compounds for road use.

Edited by Claymore

@Claymore thanks for your input its much appreciated. I was looking to ut 205's all round for extra trye to the ground. 

maybe ill consider using spacers on front as a trial further down the line then see if I get on with it.

But yes it these will be for a spare set of track wheels i have and will be used for track days only.

Anyone else have experience with 205/15's on glanza and either ad08r's or the nankang ar-1's/toyo r888s??

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:41 PM, snails ep91 said:

@Claymore thanks for your input its much appreciated. I was looking to ut 205's all round for extra trye to the ground. 

maybe ill consider using spacers on front as a trial further down the line then see if I get on with it.

But yes it these will be for a spare set of track wheels i have and will be used for track days only.

Anyone else have experience with 205/15's on glanza and either ad08r's or the nankang ar-1's/toyo r888s??

i run 205/50r15 on my glanza for along time now...i had to raise the car using the coilovers and i had the rear fender lips trimmed to reduce any rubbing from the tires

kumho ku36

i found these helped a bit with traction (less wheel spin) compared to the 195/50/15s i ran prior

i don't track my car though

https://www.vulcantire.com/ecstaxsku36_t.htm

those are the specs

In the states the hankook rs4 is the famous track tire for the endurance cars here since they wear like iron. If you are going for a quick couple laps you can use the re71 but they wear rather quickly and get hot fast. Depending on your driving level you would overheat the re71 in one track session.

I'm currently using the federal rspro and they are doing well. They don't have re71 grip but handle high temps well. Not bad for it's price. 

200tw group is tricky here in the states. For autox they basically got slicks with grooves coming out nowadays "re71, rival, rt660" very grippy and warm up quickly but they won't last you a year. 

• 1 month later...

I do Sprints which typically means less than 2 - 3 minutes on track and little time to get heat into the tyres. 

Nankang AR-1 is good. But the R888R is worth about 2 seconds on a sprint. The extra lateral grip in corners is easily noticeable. 

On trackways where you get a lap or 2 to heat the tyres, AD08R were great but I did struggle to get a lot of heat into them in a stripped out starlet with 200hp. 

I'm yet to beat the R888R Toyo in terms of track time if you're really looking for time.