Starlet SR a twenty year daily

Right i dont really know where to start with this one .... after a brief ownership of a suzuki swift in 1999 as a youthful 18 year old thanks to dad i made my mind up it was not for me , id seen a few black starlet SRs at meets i decided i had to have one all my friends had vtrs i just wanted something different so i saved  and saved  in 2000 i walked into pentagon toyota Rotherham with 7k in cash and bought a silver starlet SR with only 3000 miles it was immacluate it was part exchanged for a yaris t sport right time right place lucky me , kept the car for 8 years we parted ways and sold it to my sister who also cherished it i always drove it at least once a month then 6 years ago i got the call im getting a new car the starlet is yours again , twenty years on and i still have it , last 3 years its been sorn i always promised my self for my 40th id restore it to a decent standard , so today i bought a battery and it started first time at the first attempt in over 2 years .

It needs some work passenger door is rotten along bottom and its missing the tte exhaust and arch decals but overall its solid, ive got every receipt in a folder of history

its booked in on 14th july for a MOT wel take it from there get it through ,then get it on ramps and look at bodywork im under no illusion this will be cheap its gonna cost me 

Heres some pics also this SR had AC as standard making it rarer than most photos taken today494842957_WhatsAppImage2020-06-23at20_13_56.thumb.jpeg.9ad1fe5b9cdb3a11e585346d18bf8092.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.13.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.13.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.00.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.01 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.02.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.03.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.07 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 20.14.07.jpeg

Edited by burty
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parts I'm after any help much appreciated 

-Silver passenger door no rust any colour if condition is right 

-Decals  

-Scuttle panel below window 

-Possible front Amber indicators 

-Performance air filter 

-and by some absolute miracle a tte backbox 

More parts to follow after MOT its got a really bad clunking while moving on full lock any ideas? 

4 hours ago, burty said:

Parts I'm after any help much appreciated 

-Silver passenger door no rust any colour if condition is right 

-Decals  

-Scuttle panel below window 

-Possible front Amber indicators 

-Performance air filter 

-and by some absolute miracle a tte backbox 

More parts to follow after MOT its got a really bad clunking while moving on full lock any ideas? 

Amazing story, glad your restoring it, clunking on full lock will be cv joint in the driveshaft, would be easier to just change the driveshaft from a breaker, I’ve got some amber lenses dm me a postal address and I’ll fire them over to u foc of course. Any other questions just ask always happy to help a fellow 1ao sr owner 😀

2 hours ago, stevie82 said:

Amazing story, glad your restoring it, clunking on full lock will be cv joint in the driveshaft, would be easier to just change the driveshaft from a breaker, I’ve got some amber lenses dm me a postal address and I’ll fire them over to u foc of course. Any other questions just ask always happy to help a fellow 1ao sr owner 😀

Nice one cheers for kind offer I really can't decide what looks better clear or Amber 🤔 mechanically doing nothing till MOT then do it all at once insurance starts end of next month giving me time to sort it discs may want replacing its been stood so long I can't tell till its moving properly 

1 hour ago, Claymore said:

Great to see this, really like the SR's. Looking forward to the progress. 😀👍

Can't wait to get started properly my mechanical knowledge its limited like my time so il be getting help soon as its finished il be putting my gen 7 celica up for sale 

35 minutes ago, Kieran Barber said:

this is fantastic mate, good luck with putting her back on the road, and even with the bits that are an issue, she still looks to be in great condition.

Thanks mate main aim is to get her running and tidy body work if that means a respray so be it! not many people can say they still own the first car they bought 20 years ago il never sell it long term plans are turbo charging but thats way down the list for now (try insuring and buying a glanza in 1999 at 20 was never gonna happen ) il be needing lots of advice as parts have always been hard to get hold of as I recall? Thanks for the kind words

no worries mate, I always considered my black SR as my first car as my other was essentially a glorified shopping trolley lol.
but yeah mate, if i could've kept that black SR I would have as I had quite a few memories tied up in it, enough fun to be had with 74hp.

Couldnt agree more, for now I'm aiming for all show no go though some lovely twistys out where I live to have plenty of fun it's a feel fast car you think you are flying when in reality your not going fast at all 

6 hours ago, Kieran Barber said:

Saying that though, they're nimble enough to let you take corners at a good enough speed, the SR was bundles of fun going round cadwell on T1R's.

Any photos? 

Bit of progress, 4 new 195/45 tyres on nothing special as all four was cracked to pieces in prep for mot and I'm gonna be sending here there and everywhere for paint bodywork etc il get decent rubber when the speedlines get refurbished 

Paid my money as a member the info stevie82 pikey009 and the help  akyakapotter and morgey  have given me so far is well worth the 2 quid thanks lads pics to follow soon as parts are arriving also dug out pictures of the car the day i picked her up 3000 miles fresh got to scan them though no camera phones back then also found the pre inspection delivery history didnt even know i had it

Edited by burty
4 minutes ago, Kieran Barber said:

good stuff man, i'll be keeping my eye out for ya

moved away now but most weekends il down sorting car out still class it as home👍

Few more parts arrived nothing fancy just bulbs wiper blades in prep for MOT black spray for wiper arms proper updates with pics after the weekend ..................still searching for that tte lip 

today was a good day for parts really cant wait to get this started now cant believe i got one il post up over weekend! 

Edited by burty