Starlet SR a twenty year daily

2 hours ago, burty said:

Right so I've had an annoying clunk on the suspension and it is indeed the kyb topmounts first off as Claymore said in a earlier post they are slack and secondly the 4th nut fouls the upper spring cup and you can clearly see where its been damaged fortunately I saved the old ones as Claymore gave me the heads up I'm posting this to save people the hassle maybe we got a duff batch who knows.

Glad I could help out mate, good job getting them changed out. 👍

If anyone needs more info check out my build thread for part numbers and measurements.

Sucks having to do jobs twice, my old top mounts were ok to use again but I'll have to change them sooner rather than later. Gonna get genuine Toyota replacements to make sure they're right.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Claymore said:

Glad I could help out mate, good job getting them changed out. 👍

If anyone needs more info check out my build thread for part numbers and measurements.

Sucks having to do jobs twice, my old top mounts were ok to use again but I'll have to change them sooner rather than later. Gonna get genuine Toyota replacements to make sure they're right.

Yeah the play was unreal I was getting the spring clunking as it wasn't holding correctly when stood still doing 3 point turns etc did kyb ever get back to you? , I did same just refurbed originals think genuine ones are 47 quid but well worth it obviously 

Edited by burty

No word from KYB hope they bothered looking in to it. I did research it a bit myself and I strongly believe that these mounts are for the EP82 (4 fixings and a larger shock absorber shaft diameter).

I agree about the price and worth of Toyota O.E. components. They seem expensive but when you factor in the quality and how long they last its probably cheaper than buying aftermarket twice in the long run.

Your Starlet has the different style top spring perch as well. Fits inside the spring where as mine is the earlier type that fits over it. Nice to see.

:drinks:

6 minutes ago, Claymore said:

No word from KYB hope they bothered looking in to it. I did research it a bit myself and I strongly believe that these mounts are for the EP82 (4 fixings and a larger shock absorber shaft diameter).

I agree about the price and worth of Toyota O.E. components. They seem expensive but when you factor in the quality and how long they last its probably cheaper than buying aftermarket twice in the long run.

Your Starlet has the different style top spring perch as well. Fits inside the spring where as mine is the earlier type that fits over it. Nice to see.

:drinks:

I hope they resolve the issue I'm pretty annoyed mines the later ones as they are brand new mate bought them same time as all the other components very keen eye yet again

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of a update but earlier on in my thread I mentioned I'd have a look into why my passenger door has rusted so bad along the bottom well its hard to see in the pictures but the little drain holes were blocked and it rusted from the inside out so one to look out for lads 

DSC_0228.JPG

Edited by burty

And a picture of my genuine trd gear nob now I bought the same week I picked it up pretty rare now as most bought the white one and the old interior ready  to go to another members  other SR 

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

Edited by burty

Few updates painted some rusty brackets and orded a k&n panel filter they sent the wrong one another item with the wrong fitment codes anyone else have this? Can anyone recommend a panel filter that actually fits 

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

1 hour ago, Pikey009 said:

Wow they really were crusty, have you wire wheeled them then sanded? Gives a really smooth finish. Scotch bright is also really good. 

Don’t bother with a panel filter, no gains available what so ever. 

I've sanded the ones you can see mate not perfect but much better  just took the bulk off the  big bracket removed the rust and used converter to stop it getting worse it's under  the airfilter box so it wil stop it in its tracks, they was really bad the bracket it discontinued now aswell il be making a list of all bolts that need replacing and  brackets if cheap enough amazing  leaving a car stood for a few years how much rust can set in 

Edited by burty

Yeah moisture would just occur in the same place over time and really have a go at things. Since mines been in the heated workshop though it’s got loads better even on its own accord or a quick wipe and all the surface stuff comes off.

Rather than getting new bolts, try sending them to get zinc plated. Not that expensive and great results. Once mines driving around I’ll be sending most of my engine bay bolts away. 

yeh agreed, as soon as im finished and im happy with the tune ill start to strip down and refurbish, zinc plating is really quite cheap and lasts around 3 years. 

loving the work. these cars are at the age where there really starting to need this doing.

Edited by Sam44
13 hours ago, Pikey009 said:

Rather than getting new bolts, try sending them to get zinc plated. Not that expensive and great results. Once mines driving around I’ll be sending most of my engine bay bolts away. 

You do have to be a bit careful when stripping and plating steel components due to possible hydrogen embrittlement. Its when hydrogen permeates the steel structure during the plating process and forms tiny pockets weakening the material and can cause failures much below the bolts specified yield. The harder material / grade of bolts are more susceptible i.e. grade 8.8, 10.9 etc. After plating, the bolts should go through a de-embrittlement process to prevent this occurring.

Yeah I removed the door cards and had a really good look inside seems somehow mud/moss was in there so i assume is got through the window seals (I have a replacement anyway from the new door so il use that as a precaution) it's only a five min job to pop off the cards so well worth checking progress has been slow this month but I'm having a full weekend on it next week 

2 hours ago, stevie82 said:

What did u get mate can’t really see from the pic ?

Full 98 spec interior Inc door cards on custom lowered rails  out of pikeys old sr that trav replaced with optional recaros black leather 98 spec wheel oem toyota cd player 5efe air filter inlet and a hks panel filter il post pics up soon it was a 7 hour round trip including a chat so couldn't be arsed to empty van put it straight in garage 

14 hours ago, burty said:

Full 98 spec interior Inc door cards on custom lowered rails  out of pikeys old sr that trav replaced with optional recaros black leather 98 spec wheel oem toyota cd player 5efe air filter inlet and a hks panel filter il post pics up soon it was a 7 hour round trip including a chat so couldn't be arsed to empty van put it straight in garage 

Good stuff mate. 😎