Starlet SR a twenty year daily

I had a letter the other day about recall on air bags. I rang them months ago about it after hearing what happened to that Air Force chick and all the scrapping in Australia. Had already changed to the is200 wheel because of this. Will give them a ring at some point. Nice steering wheel. Its the takata air bags that are dodgy by the way

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After successfully sealing the drivers side headlamp a few months ago I decided to tackle the passenger side today steps first remove indicator then reach under the headlight and push the black clip down and pull with force then repeat on the grill side you can see this clip don't be afraid of giving in decent amount of force as you pull the headlight towards you remove the two clips be carful not to chip the glass heat up with a hair dryer then split they are not sealed as such but use a rubber gasket 

This time round the gasket was in a much worse state than the other so I used some sealant when I put it back together hopefully this will cure it or at least improve condensation

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

IMG-20201104-WA0007.jpeg

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

18 hours ago, Starletson said:

I had a letter the other day about recall on air bags. I rang them months ago about it after hearing what happened to that Air Force chick and all the scrapping in Australia. Had already changed to the is200 wheel because of this. Will give them a ring at some point. Nice steering wheel. Its the takata air bags that are dodgy by the way

Tbh I don't think they will notice its a glanza wheel as its the same 3 spoke design as the SR just leather bet half the techs never even seen one

Well since its Friday and we can't go out I bought some oem optional goodies bit of a impulse buy saw them on a car on ebay rang up asking if I could buy them off him and came to a deal 

DSC_0013.JPG

1 hour ago, Pikey009 said:

Rarer than a rare thing, chuffed they will actually be on the car too

worth more than the headlight but yeah they will be going on need new rubber pads but ive measured them and sourced some replacements

42 minutes ago, Dale SR said:

Good find burty, I saw thease on the salmon pink starlet on ebay is that where you got them? There is a standerd starlet with optional fog lights on ebay however ones pretty smashed up. 

That's the one mate even met me at a convenient place for me 

20 hours ago, Dale SR said:

There certainly on a far more deserving starlet now, looking really good. 

4 hours ago, Sam44 said:

really enjoying your work. 

im going to have to go all out under-seal and all out clean fest on mine, once its back from the body show that is in the new year.  

Thanks alot lads I'm trying not to cut corners at all, the only one I've compromised with is budget tyres to get to the test centre in July as really had no idea how it would get on being stood for so long they are getting changed in January when it's off for  bodywork  can't belive how times flown started it back in March 

Edited by burty

And also got my double din surround fitted with a factory toyota cd player I must say it sounds really good they are made by Panasonic must thank trevstar for this be sure to check out his build and a pic of the old one the SR's came with silver Sony ones after a certain date and are near impossible to find 

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

Edited by burty

Not really a update as such but got some direct fit mats been searching for some oem ones but every set I found was in really bad condition so just went for these really good quality aswell

DSC_0023.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just a update this builds still alive just not done nothing, wheels booked in for a refurb and powder coating Inc the spare  while its away in just 4 weeks time does anyone know the oem wheel colour code? so for now shes just tucked up away 

DSC_0027.JPG

Edited by burty
  • 4 weeks later...

Right then big things happening starting Monday next week if you have been following this thread you will know for those of you that havent a quick recap 

This was the first car I bought with my own money at 20 years old on 3500 miles always promised myself for for my 40th I'd give it a top to bottom (had it around 20years now) I've spent this year sorting the mechanicals out and the interior and if it wasn't for the lads on here I would of struggled you all know who you are! 

So now its time for  bodywork 

The list 

New outer sills 

New inner rear arches 

New outer  rear arches 

Full rust removed zinc primer and underseal inc all box sections treated 

All rust cut out and replaced 

New passenger door 

All doors, rear quarters, bonnet and boot filled with rust prevention

Full respray in 1ao silver 

New decals 

And finally speedlines refurbished 

Bodyshop want it for at least 2 months but il be taking photos all the way through of before and after progress so people can see any potential problems when it starts getting cut away 

Never did get a tte lip... But I 

Will one day 

Edited by burty
10 hours ago, glanzadude said:

All the best with the rebuild I am just after turning 36 but planing on rebuilding my Gt top to bottom for my 40th birthday as well 

Yeah been saving a long time il be following your progress aswell 

1 hour ago, Claymore said:

Great to hear mate, looking forward to the updates :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help along the way