Rear suspension knocking

Second post after my alignment question, only got the car last week.

I've noticed the rear passenger side tends to knock, I thought it was the stock airbox housing in the boot as the previous owner left it there but after keeping it next to me to check, the noise  still remains in the rear, it happens not just when I'm going over a bump, sometimes won't make the noise over a bump, but driving while accelerating can sometimes hear it. The coil seems fine and shock absorber too, car's only got 70k miles so they shouldn't be worn out, I was lead to believe it could be bushing, I've tried to buy bushing for the Anti roll bar, sway bar whatever term you use but I can only seem to find for the front wherever I look. Are the fronts the same as the rear?! Also it should be fairly easy to replace shouldn't it? I'm not too big a mechanic myself the only stuff I've done so far was change a brake calliper, discs and pads along with a few things like plugs on my Celica...I wasn't able to locate the bushing on the rear tbh but it might of just been my ignorance or my view being blocked with the sun.

Or am I just making a fool of myself in assuming it's got a rear anti roll bar? I have found bushings for the rear on a site but they were discontinued so I've no idea, I really can't find much information online it seems so be nice please 🤣
EDIT: How can I delete this? lmao I've figured out the car doesn't have a rear sway bar

116098469_749041012508516_118490210670927295_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=zJoIKb28VPQAX_UiwPe&_nc_ht=scontent.fbru1-1.fna&oh=232b9e2d68ec6c7e155cb9dbc9951a44&oe=5F40C0DD

Edited by RWDM47
8 hours ago, RWDM47 said:

Second post after my alignment question, only got the car last week.

I've noticed the rear passenger side tends to knock, I thought it was the stock airbox housing in the boot as the previous owner left it there but after keeping it next to me to check, the noise  still remains in the rear, it happens not just when I'm going over a bump, sometimes won't make the noise over a bump, but driving while accelerating can sometimes hear it. The coil seems fine and shock absorber too, car's only got 70k miles so they shouldn't be worn out, I was lead to believe it could be bushing, I've tried to buy bushing for the Anti roll bar, sway bar whatever term you use but I can only seem to find for the front wherever I look. Are the fronts the same as the rear?! Also it should be fairly easy to replace shouldn't it? I'm not too big a mechanic myself the only stuff I've done so far was change a brake calliper, discs and pads along with a few things like plugs on my Celica...I wasn't able to locate the bushing on the rear tbh but it might of just been my ignorance or my view being blocked with the sun.

Or am I just making a fool of myself in assuming it's got a rear anti roll bar? I have found bushings for the rear on a site but they were discontinued so I've no idea, I really can't find much information online it seems so be nice please 🤣
EDIT: How can I delete this? lmao I've figured out the car doesn't have a rear sway bar

Well, as you've figured out there is no rear ARB as standard (you can buy aftermarket ones). Check for loose items in the boot, boot well and in both pockets of the boot sides (jack and tools). Then squeeze and lift the strut tower covers to remove and check the fasteners are the correct tightness. The top shock mount could be knackered as could the lower shock bush. Also check lower shock mounting bolt. That's all the obvious stuff I can think of.

Take it from your username your a BMW guy?

7 hours ago, Claymore said:

Well, as you've figured out there is no rear ARB as standard (you can buy aftermarket ones). Check for loose items in the boot, boot well and in both pockets of the boot sides (jack and tools). Then squeeze and lift the strut tower covers to remove and check the fasteners are the correct tightness. The top shock mount could be knackered as could the lower shock bush. Also check lower shock mounting bolt. That's all the obvious stuff I can think of.

Take it from your username your a BMW guy?

Okay thank you I'll give it a shot tomorrow when it's dry. No haha my username is just the football club I support in Belgium RWDM (Racing White Daring Molenbeek) and the matricule number 47 lol just got promoted back to the 2nd tier, I'm more into Mercedes but I'd never own one until I've got plenty of money to throw away lol. Before this I had a 7th gen Celica for a year and a half, a 2010 Kia Magentis that had 240k miles and two 4th gen golfs. :)

Edited by RWDM47

Very simple setup on the back. So there really is very little to go wrong.

The rear arm is a "twisted" beam, if you're luck with a "Pan hard rod". Rear Anti-Rollbars are aftermarket.

The rear arm is fixed in by two big bolts and bushes to the chassis. My starlet with 215000Km on the clocks were in pristine condition. Replaced anyway but there was no signs of wear.

The arm is fixed onto shocks and the top mounts into the towerstruts. If not tightened, the rear arm will drop over bumps. So ensure the bolts are done up.

Things like exhaust can knock on the rear arm or chassis of the car. So it could just be something simple like that.

Then it's just a case of a dodgey rear wheel bearing. These are just taper roller bearings lightly placed into the hubs. So ensuring they're in good order and not over tightened.

Can't think of much else that would cause knocking in the rear. As said they're pretty basic.

23 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Very simple setup on the back. So there really is very little to go wrong.

The rear arm is a "twisted" beam, if you're luck with a "Pan hard rod". Rear Anti-Rollbars are aftermarket.

The rear arm is fixed in by two big bolts and bushes to the chassis. My starlet with 215000Km on the clocks were in pristine condition. Replaced anyway but there was no signs of wear.

The arm is fixed onto shocks and the top mounts into the towerstruts. If not tightened, the rear arm will drop over bumps. So ensure the bolts are done up.

Things like exhaust can knock on the rear arm or chassis of the car. So it could just be something simple like that.

Then it's just a case of a dodgey rear wheel bearing. These are just taper roller bearings lightly placed into the hubs. So ensuring they're in good order and not over tightened.

Can't think of much else that would cause knocking in the rear. As said they're pretty basic.

Thnka you, when I'm checking tomorrow along with the other stuff I will try see if it's on tight. The exhaust is on the other side so I don't think it could be that. It could be a wheel bearing too as you said, I seem to have badluck with bearings I've had to replace several on my Celica over time lol

7 minutes ago, Claymore said:

Also check the panhard rod is bolted tight and the bushes are in good condition. Problems with this can cause knocking and steering alignment can be affected as the rear beam can move about.

Never heard of a panhard rod lol, is that the long skinny bar?

24 minutes ago, RWDM47 said:

Never heard of a panhard rod lol, is that the long skinny bar?

Yes, its the long bar that is attached to the rear beam on the passenger side and the car chassis on the drivers side. It keeps the rear beam in line with the centre of the car body / chassis.

20200627_135846.jpg

11 hours ago, Claymore said:

Yes, its the long bar that is attached to the rear beam on the passenger side and the car chassis on the drivers side. It keeps the rear beam in line with the centre of the car body / chassis.

20200627_135846.jpg

Ah yes okay so I'm sure I've seen it when looking, it sits a bit diagonally doesn't it? Starts at bottom right and goes up left when looking from behind?

Edited by RWDM47