4efe power steering pump with 4efte pump bracket.

Managed to get hold of a fte lower power steering bracket so I can fit the fte oil filter relocation piece. I know the fte power steering pump is different but I'm not sure if the standard fe power steering pump will fit to the fte bracket? Anyone ever tried this combination?

I'm aware of the different parts required, but I'm sure that I have read on a few build threads that people have used this combo. When transplanting an fte engine into an N/A but kept the fe pump and hoses. 

Hopefully I can make an offset bracket to join the bolt hole in the pump to the adjuster slot on the fte bracket whilst still leaving room for the oil filter and relocation piece. It will be more obvious if this is possible once the lower bracket is fitted to the engine. 🤞

Not keen on rotating the relocator down for clearance, it may not seal with the block gasket shaped as it is and you may have to block the outer mounting holes to prevent leakage. Haven't tried so can't say for sure what mods are required.

You need to mod the bottom bracket and 4e pump to bottom bracket adjusting nut. Alignment issues. People make a bracket to align the 2 from the back of the 4e pump and shave alittle of the 4efte bracket off as it fouls the bottom/front edge of the 4e pump. 

Edited by Sam44

Well I'll have a look to see how complex it becomes, I've already got an fte pump but was hoping to change as little as possible. Probably less work to  make my own lower bracket from scratch to clear the filter housing and match up to the fe pump Lol.

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 9:20 AM, Claymore said:

Managed to get hold of a fte lower power steering bracket so I can fit the fte oil filter relocation piece. I know the fte power steering pump is different but I'm not sure if the standard fe power steering pump will fit to the fte bracket? Anyone ever tried this combination?

@Sam44 I was reading this thread. How am I gonna adapt the 4efte lower power steering bracket to fit the Corolla? Can I get a custom made from someone experienced?

11 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

I was reading this thread. How am I gonna adapt the 4efte lower power steering bracket to fit the Corolla? Can I get a custom made from someone experienced?

As I see it you have 3 options:

Modify the 4efte lower power steering bracket and make a piece to fix between the bracket and corolla pump. (Sam44 has already explained how this can be achieved on the other thread.) Being as this part will need to be made with measurements taken from the actual pump and bracket when fitted to the engine no-one can provide detailed plans (dimensioned drawings) unless they have made it before. Also the corolla pump is a different part number to the 4efe Starlet pump so may have a different shape casing etc... I have checked the parts list and the lower bracket is the same for both 4efe starlet and corolla.

Use the corolla lower bracket and space it out sideways / modify it to clear the oil filter housing and make a joining piece to fix to the pump. More work but saves destroying a rare 4efte lower bracket (if it bothers you). It may be as simple as using sections of round steel bar with a central hole as stand off legs welded to the bracket and a spacer for the slot but there may not be enough room, might have to remove and weld in new material to the bracket to clear the filter housing as well, but at least the adjustment slot will line up with the pump (Not tried this so may not even be possible.)

Make a custom lower bracket from new metal (Lots of work, needs design and fabrication skills.)

This is the reason I suggested using a mechanic with fabrication skills. 

Swapping the 4efte engine into a corolla is not a swap that is made very often which is why there is not much detailed information on how to do it for corolla specific problems. Most experience is based on 4efte into a starlet. With less common swaps there will be lots of new "challenges" to overcome.

Edited by Claymore
Spelling
12 hours ago, Claymore said:

With less common swaps there will be lots of new "challenges" to overcome.

I appreciate your explanation. Sometimes I can seem to be repetitive but it is not easy to plan a job like this especially when it hasn’t been done often. I think I understood most of your explanations. I totally agree that you have to put the engine in and  proceed step by step by modifying parts until they fit. My friend is skilled but he doesn’t have a complete shop. We are looking for the extra tools we need. He loves this project and he won’t charge. It’s a compromise and a challenge but I am stubborn so it might work fine. The engine will be shipped in December and I will have it in early January so I think I will have all the information I need to do a great job. I will make sure I will take all the pictures so we will finally have a complete 4efte swap session in a Corolla E11. I want to thank you and @Sam44 for sharing your knowledge. 

You're welcome.

Just remember that sometimes the cost of a project will be higher no matter how well you plan it, sometimes things are more expensive or there are hidden problems that need to be fixed. No one wants to see a project car get sold because they don't have the money to finish the car.

Just a reality check really, it all seems fun and exciting at the beginning but the reality is it can sometimes be frustrating and disappointing.

I wish you the best of luck and I am excited to see the build thread develop.

i should be able to make you a bracket ive got afew at home. but when you get your engine i need 1 returning to me as im going to do a e11 build myself. i might end out doing a 16v 7age engine in one. 

your welcome if i can help i will. 

it will be around march time before i get the e11.  

Edited by Sam44
On 11/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Sam44 said:

i need 1 returning to me

I’ll be more than happy to exchange brackets. I’m still in the process of understanding every step. It seems that certain things are not clear and I am not figuring out the right information from either of my sources. The fact that I have to pay labor is the element that could compromise my budget. I need to be sure I have everything I need before I buy the engine and I start the work. This includes the mechanic side, the electrical side with wiring, loom call mom fuse box and the most delicate with the piggyback mapping and map sensor. So I’m working on two sides. One is the complete swap including the 4efte ECU and the other is turbocharging my 4efe. Based on the information you gave me I could spend around €1500 for the parts (turbo, IC with pipes, oil and water lines, piggyback with extra wires and connectors, 4efte injectors, 212 mm clutch, fuel pump). The manifold and down-pipe would be customized by a shop for about €500. 4efte steering pump bracket. What did I forget? Which sensors and wiring are missing?

• 3 years later...
On 7/27/2020 at 9:20 AM, Claymore said:

I did. The fe pump has the lower bolt in a different position compared to the fte pump that was modified to make space to the oil filter relocation. This s why they moved the vacuum to the steering rack. I’d like to tey to fit the vacuum sensor in the Corolla E11 fe steering rack but I’d have to take out. A lot of work. Best would be to create a hubrid steering fe bracket to fit in tje fte location.