Saving a Starlet SR

Hi

Project number 2 is my latest purchase , always wanted a Starlet Sr as there getting quite rare beasts nowadays . Anyway this came up local to me and managed to buy it before it was broken for parts. Unfortunately looking a bit worse for wear after an incident with the previous owner. However the low mileage 62k and very tidy (apart from damage) I think justified it being saved. Even tho there not really worth good money in general yet?

Still wearing its speedline wheels and tte rear spoiler helped . Previous build thread on here from 2017 when it only had 11k on the clock is what I'm wanting to restore it to its former glory . I also believe the undersealing of it back then is why it's still so clean underneath😎

Anyway n/s/f had taken the worst of the damage including lower wishbone arm.Also signs of a small previous damage at that corner,  I had actually found pics online of this car being sold with n/s/f damage. So all that's getting sorted properly too

Pics of when I had just taken it home minus a wing , headlights and exhaust.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

It looks quite clean.

What are your plans. 

It is very fresh for 21 year old Toyota 😁

Not really sure , originally was thinking restore it to standard but do feel like making a sleeper

33 minutes ago, Mike84 said:

It is very fresh for 21 year old Toyota 😁

Not really sure , originally was thinking restore it to standard but do feel like making a sleeper

Haha.

Sleeper, sleeper, sleeper. 

Just try not to get carried away. It's incredible hard not to do. 

11 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

Haha.

Sleeper, sleeper, sleeper. 

Just try not to get carried away. It's incredible hard not to do. 

I've a glanza race car that I've got carried away with so know what you mean 🤣

Trying to keep this simple and use the cast offs from the race car

Stripped off the lower arm and fitted one of my spares , then chucked the spare wheel on and fitted an old tyre to one of the flat rear tyres.

So it was mobile again

Decided to remove the front bumper and radiator to asses the damage properly

Thankfully the lower wishbone mounting points are ok . 

Lower crossmember , slam panel and crash bar have taken the brunt . Will get it to a local body shop to tweak chassis legs before removing damaged panels. Not to bad at all to be honest

Also discovered that at some point someone had fitted an oem lsd box which was a pleasent suprise 😎

20200908_072914.jpg

20200907_072005.jpg

20200907_173509.jpg

55 minutes ago, burty said:

these from toyota uk ? or via amayama every part i ring up for seem to be discontinued

Yeah these were all ordered from toyota uk , took afew days to arrive but have found the front panels are discontinued also . So having to get a front cut off someone local to use

7 hours ago, Mike84 said:

Yeah these were all ordered from toyota uk , took afew days to arrive but have found the front panels are discontinued also . So having to get a front cut off someone local to use

That's a result then I tried the sills and rear quarters but they are discontinued managed to get some in the end from new old stock but I've since found you can still get them in Japan 

Really good to see you saving this one, Shame its had another bump but looks like shes in the right hands now. The car was in a town next to stirling for a while untill the guy sold it on at the start of this year, it's LSD box was just reconditioned at the end of last year, she should also have a Exedy stage 1 clutch.  

Great that shes still here in scotland 

• 6 months later...

Started back on this project again , managed to purchase original seats to replace the subaru wrx seats currently fitted. (These will be forsale on starlet runners )

They were a tad messy but woolite and a power washer brought them up amazingly 🙂

20210401_150959.jpg

20210401_180945.jpg

20210401_180953.jpg

20210401_181005.jpg

20210401_184133.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well started working on the poor sr again last week , decided to pull out the damage myself . It actually pulled at really well .

No trees were harmed in the repair of the starlet😁

20210514_172614.jpg

20210514_172845.jpg

20210517_175251.jpg

20210517_180002.jpg

20210518_182251.jpg

Then after trial fitting everything it was my least favourite job of dissecting the spare front crossmember. In preparation for replacing the damaged lower crossmember.

20210518_184114.jpg

20210518_184019.jpg

20210518_184031.jpg

20210518_184047.jpg

20210518_184058.jpg

nice work mate. nice to see them starting to be saved rather than stripped. especially an n/a

Have you got any pics of it with the lower crossmember removed?

im considering cutting mine up and getting a custom bar fitted to the ends so i can fit my radiator/intercooler setup better. would be interesting to see what you stripped it down too.

6 hours ago, snails ep91 said:

nice work mate. nice to see them starting to be saved rather than stripped. especially an n/a

Have you got any pics of it with the lower crossmember removed?

im considering cutting mine up and getting a custom bar fitted to the ends so i can fit my radiator/intercooler setup better. would be interesting to see what you stripped it down too.

Cheers

Might have got carried away and not be Na after I'm finished

Managed to nip the damaged crossmember off now , the spot weld drill had a hard time

20210518_184114.jpg

20210519_181005.jpg

20210519_181015.jpg

20210519_181029.jpg

20210519_181046.jpg