Has anyone successfully swapped a different gearbox from another Toyota into a Glanza? I'm thinking MR2/Celica/Corolla/Yaris rather than the wideley known G6/G6R.  I know there's been all sorts of discussion over the years of swapping various gear sets into C56 bell housing but what can actually be done?

I had my Glanza gearbox rebuilt last year and it's still useless, takes forever to get into 2nd, crunches a lot, feels like someones pouring a bucket full of nuts and bolts between the cogs when changing gear. Absolutely awful and completely ruins the car and as I'm now spending out for a forged engine I want to do something about it, so need something that will handle up to 300bhp, and would be nice if I can use my existing LSD, can't remember if it's 6 or 8 bolt pattern, whichever a standard Glanza is. 

I'm working on a c64 gearbox. From a lotus 2zz engine. There are a few issues. 

Because of the wider stander gears this close ratio 6 speed box (sports) can bolt upto the 4e/5e (with a bell housing swap, bearings in the bell housing need changing over, but will not fit into The starlet engine bay with out cutting a 1inch depth slot into the near side chassie leg, the same length as the gearboxend cap around 4inch.

The C63 in the 190hp Celica and corrola are the same but have a shorter 6th gear toping out around 140mph. 

I've seen these boxes handle 300hp. 

I've had to have a crown gear made to bolt upto the glanza aftermarket lsd unit. The standard unit driveshaft spline are a larger I/d. I did read some where there might be a inner drive shaft cup that will fit the box and the starlet driveshaft. 

The next issue will be to get the selector cables to fit with some slight modification. 

I tried a c56 box from a glanza and Waw talk about over geared. A good gear set for the strip if only the box could take the power. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, Sam44 said:

I'm working on a c64 gearbox. From a lotus 2zz engine. There are a few issues. 

Because of the wider stander gears this close ratio 6 speed box (sports) can bolt upto the 4e/5e (with a bell housing swap, bearings in the bell housing need changing over, but will not fit into The starlet engine bay with out cutting a 1inch depth slot into the near side chassie leg, the same length as the gearboxend cap around 4inch.

The C63 in the 190hp Celica and corrola are the same but have a shorter 6th gear toping out around 140mph. 

I've seen these boxes handle 300hp. 

I've had to have a crown gear made to bolt upto the glanza aftermarket lsd unit. The standard unit driveshaft spline are a larger I/d. I did read some where there might be a inner drive shaft cup that will fit the box and the starlet driveshaft. 

The next issue will be to get the selector cables to fit with some slight modification. 

I tried a c56 box from a glanza and Waw talk about over geared. A good gear set for the strip if only the box could take the power. 

Let me know how you get on with the gearbox options mate, i need a box that can cope with 400bhp without buying a dogbox 

On 11/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, wakeabby14 said:

Let me know how you get on with the gearbox options mate, i need a box that can cope with 400bhp without buying a dogbox 

yeh i have the c64 lotus box in bits ATM. but its the same box as the c63 out of the corrola/celica tsport 6speed. the c64 just has a higher mph limmit with a bigger sixth gear.  there is also carbon syncros available that i have purchased and will be going in. it will be the end of next year before i have this in and running but it will go in. 

Edited by Sam44
On 10/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, ste91 said:

Has anyone successfully swapped a different gearbox from another Toyota into a Glanza? I'm thinking MR2/Celica/Corolla/Yaris rather than the wideley known G6/G6R.  I know there's been all sorts of discussion over the years of swapping various gear sets into C56 bell housing but what can actually be done?

I had my Glanza gearbox rebuilt last year and it's still useless, takes forever to get into 2nd, crunches a lot, feels like someones pouring a bucket full of nuts and bolts between the cogs when changing gear. Absolutely awful and completely ruins the car and as I'm now spending out for a forged engine I want to do something about it, so need something that will handle up to 300bhp, and would be nice if I can use my existing LSD, can't remember if it's 6 or 8 bolt pattern, whichever a standard Glanza is. 

You ever look at the shifter arms or whatever the name is. The the arms on the trans that the shifter cables attach to. They might be bent. Doesnt hurt to check. 

• 5 weeks later...

with some discussion between myself and dutchie on here we think we might have found some inner drive shaft cups to match up the c63/c64 2zz gearbox with the starlet/glanza/gt turbo drive shafts. this will make the conversion much easier and cheaper to do. 

the c63 and c64 are internally identical with the exception of the 6th gear ratio, the c63 from the toyota 2zz will hit around 140mph and the c64 from the lotus around 155mph, the gear sets do swap over.  

ive ordered a set of these cups and will be testing them out early next year. fingers crossed.  

the bell housing and bearings do swap over, the gearbox is longer (by around 2inch) because of the wider gears in the c63/64 box, requiring the n/s starlet chassis leg to be modified slightly for clearance. 

the clutch/friction plate splines are the same. 

the mounts swap onto the gearbox. 

its just the selector cables to sort out, these will require some slight adjustment to operate correctly. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, RoyalDutchie said:

a lot of work getting it to fi

Do you know someone who has done a WRC Corolla replica?

What I know so far is that it’s a 3sgte GT Four engine and AWD transmission. What I don’t know is how to adapt it to the Corolla and what part of the Cdlica chassis has to be swapped and what has to be kept from the Corolla. I checked on the web and it wasn’t easy to find hubs, rear and front axle shafts and stabilizer arms.

Also, would the Corolla shock absorbers fit the Celica hubs or would it be necessary to install Celica shock absorbers?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

Do you know someone who has done a WRC Corolla replica?

What I know so far is that it’s a 3sgte GT Four engine and AWD transmission. What I don’t know is how to adapt it to the Corolla and what part of the Cdlica chassis has to be swapped and what has to be kept from the Corolla. I checked on the web and it wasn’t easy to find hubs, rear and front axle shafts and stabilizer arms.

Also, would the Corolla shock absorbers fit the Celica hubs or would it be necessary to install Celica shock absorbers?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Celica's or most Corolla's it is best to ask these questions on a celica and/or a corolla forum. There may be a few people floating around with knowledge regarding WRC builds.

note:

please stay on topic 

Edited by RoyalDutchie
16 hours ago, RoyalDutchie said:

I'm not familiar with Celica's or most Corolla's it is best to ask these questions on a celica and/or a corolla forum. There may be a few people floating around with knowledge regarding WRC builds.

note:

please stay on topic 

Yeah my bad. There is a lack of forums who discuss this topic. Merry Christmas. 

• 2 years later...