4efe SWAP to 4efte in Corolla E11 1998

The factory lsd gearbox out of the GT turbo or glanza will not fit the corrola, but are a much sort after item (great resale) but it needs the right side drive shaft with the box .

this drive shaft is shorter than the standard factory drive shaft, and production has been discontinued from what I've read.

The turbo box is no stronger from what I've seen opening them. I've opened a c56 glanza gearbox against the UK starlet gearbox. the lighter glanza v gearboxes gear set would not be suited for the corollas weight and I removed this box sharpish when I ran it. It's long gears load the engine and hamper acceleration. The combination of added weight and this gearbox makes me shudder inside alittle, But again there would be a good resale for the gearbox in the future. The c54 gearbox would be a much better gearbox for your car if you can get 1. I believe travstar on here has just rebuild the c54 gearbox I'll inquire which led units fit this box. 

I'm running the g6/g6r gearbox and it's another very good option, but these might be considered weaker as 6th gear and the final drive have a slightly narrower gear, but much better bearing set as well as the gear/final drive remove load from the engine, why they came in the small cc engines heavy corollas. The c54 is the stronger 5 speed equivalent. 

The g6 and g6r gearboxes can house the aftermarket lsd units from TRD, Cusco, kaz produced for the GT turbo and glanza gearbox. Using the 4efte box has the added benafit of future developmet (aftermarket lsd units). They also hit some of the highest speeds/quarter mile. 

In short use a corrola gearbox these are alot better for road speed ranges in the heavier vehicle than starlet, GT turbo, glanza v boxes. 

Edited by Sam44
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/13/2020 at 1:13 AM, Sam44 said:

Looking into the corrola gearbox you have I would run this on the 4efte rather than the turbo box, that's if it comes with the box. The reason is the corrola box has a closer gear set and will not load the engine as much as you move up threw the box. 

About what you said here. Do you mean that I should use the 4EFE Corolla gearbox on the 4EFTE engine? can you please elaborate this a little more? I could buy the 4EFTE engine without the gearbox if what I understood is possible.it would be cheaper pf course. I don’t know if the shell could be adapted though. I read in the past that the 4EFE Corolla gearbox is too weak to hold the 4EFTE engine power. I trust your advice. Thanks again  

The 4efe box is not weaker, and a better box for the heavier corrola on a 4efte.

What milage has your box covered? Is it high, if so putting power threw it will probably result in a failure. 

The corrola c series boxes are probably the best ratio boxes out there, but you need a relatively low milage box. 

The c54 box I think can house a aftermarket c56/c52 4efte lsd unit. I'll confirm this 

The C60 boxes in the g6/g6r can also house the turbo aftermarket lsd units. The g6 box is a direct bolt on option the g6r requires the a bell housing swap. 

Ultimately a reconditioned unit would be the best option. 

These boxes have the best ratios for acceleration also not loading the engine as much. 

The turbo boxes will probably be low milage most jap imports are. These boxes to me are overgear for safety to reduce the starlets ability to accelerate. I think they new these cars would be trouble in the wrong hands. It also enhances turbo boost build by loading up the engine (long gears). 

Now with the corrola being heavier adding load and long loading gears (4efte box), this gives me the chills. Boost would hit hard fast but the engine would struggle to accelerate. Requiring higher hp a recipe for high temps and failure. 

But it's up to you. 

Edited by Sam44

Tidy bay. From what I'm reading yours is a c57 

The c54 came In the early Yaris 1.5 vvti from what I've read. I'm not sure if they accept the c52/c56 lsd. From what I've read it's requires swaping the bell housing.  I'll find out all information on this. 

I'll just look into it more for you to pinpoint your box. Im under the impression it's a c57. 

200000km is big milage. 

Some info on the g6 swap

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/136040-e11-five-to-six-speed-gearbox-swap/

From what I can see the c56 also came in the corrola. This box will come with a glanza engine. 

The difference between the c56 and c57 is the gearbox end caps, the c56 is cast aluminium, the c57 is folded formed steel black in colour. If you have a aluminium end cap get a gearbox with the 4efte engine there the same gearbox. I got this information that yours could possibly have a c56 box. I got this information off wikipedia!!!. So for me personally I'd be very surprised if it has a 4efe corrola would struggle with this box. I'm expecting you to tell me you have a black end cap. 

Alot of the ratios are wrong also on Wikipedia. 

What is the price difference buying the engine with/without the gearbox. 

Edited by Sam44

Personally I'd just use your gearbox I've found afew differences also the gear cable bracket on the gearbox is different on the c56/c52 turbo box. It looks like it swaps over but I can't say for sure. 

Your E11 box is no stronger or weaker,  just high mileage. 

3 hours ago, Sam44 said:

Your E11 box is no stronger or weaker,  just high mileage. 

Point is that if I cannot use mine I will have to buy a complete 4efte with gearbox that has 80k Km. There is no 4efe engine with less than 250k Km. What do you suggest? Labor cost to regenerate an engine would cost a fortune and ai cannot afford it. I want a nice Turborolla.

I'd just use your box at that price. At a later date we could sort a nice gearbox out that houses an lsd unit. If you decide this is what you need.

In my opinion the corollas come with the best boxes. 

The Yaris c54 looks good but I recon it will top out at around 120mph. 

I'm going to get 1 and a Yaris c53 d4d box and swap 5th. 

It will bolt upto the 4efte no issues.

Just change the gear oil with good quality oil, change this after 6month, to flush the box. 

Edited by Sam44

The oem lsd for the 4efte should be out of the picture getting a complete unit with the custom mount and driveshaft is not  an easy task. The viscous style is pretty much an open diff now and won't function like a lsd without a refurb imo. A helical lsd would be the best maintenance free LSD on the market as far as my knowledge goes. 

1 hour ago, Frankieflowers said:

Yes as you can see in the picture. Black cap. Am I right?

The black cap would be a reference to the endcap of your gearbox if I'm not mistaken. The 4efte ones are made completely of aluminium and the gearbox in the Corolla has a sheetmetal endcap coated in black paint. Gainzy is still selling a nice 4efte gearbox for about 150 gbp if you want a complete 4efte without paying the 500-700 gbp for a gearbox.

iVUJejE.jpg

Edited by RoyalDutchie
9 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

I'd just use your box at that price. At a later date we could sort a nice gearbox out that houses an lsd unit. If you decide this is what you need.

In my opinion the corollas come with the best boxes. 

The Yaris c54 looks good but I recon it will top out at around 120mph. 

It will bolt upto the 4efte no issues.

Just change the gear oil with good quality oil, change this after 6month, to flush the box. 

Great. I eill keep the 4efe Corolla gearbox.you suggest buying the 4efte without gearbox? It will be cheaper. Will the Corolla 4efe gearbox fit perfectly the 4efte engine I will buy from Japan? If I understood well. Thank you

4 minutes ago, RoyalDutchie said:

The oem lsd for the 4efte should be out of the picture getting a complete unit with the custom mount and driveshaft is not  an easy task. The viscous style is pretty much an open diff now and won't function like a lsd without a refurb imo. A helical lsd would be the best maintenance free LSD on the market as far as my knowledge goes. 

The black cap would be a reference to the endcap of your gearbox if I'm not mistaken. The 4efte ones are made completely of aluminium and the gearbox in the Corolla has a sheetmetal endcap coated in black paint.

iVUJejE.jpg

Thank you for the info. The only 4efte engines available now are without LSD. Just trying to figure out if I should buy the engine without the gearbox or not. Sam44 is helping me figure out if I can adapt my Corolla 4efe gearbox to a 4efte. What do you think?

7 minutes ago, Frankieflowers said:

Thank you for the info. The only 4efte engines available now are without LSD. Just trying to figure out if I should buy the engine without the gearbox or not. Sam44 is helping me figure out if I can adapt my Corolla 4efe gearbox to a 4efte. What do you think?

I would buy it without the gearbox if you still like the feel of your current gearbox and it is without any issues. The stock 4efe gearbox should handle a stock 4efte without any issues.

Wouldn't prioritize a LSD for now they are nice to have but not a true necessity. 

33 minutes ago, RoyalDutchie said:

Wouldn't prioritize a LSD for now they are nice to have but not a true necessity. 

Appreciate that. I will not find a gearbox with less millage than my 4efe. What would I have to do to regenerate one? Just to know if I would get stuck for months. Thanks to both of you. 

On 10/19/2020 at 12:26 PM, Sam44 said:

I'll sort you a gearbox I've got loads here. Very low milage boxes. 

I appreciate it. I will post as soon as I find the engine hoping I can buy it without the gearbox to save money as I will follow your suggestion to use the 4efe Corolla gearbox on my car.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:24 AM, RoyalDutchie said:

I would buy it without the gearbox if you still like the feel of your current gearbox and it is without any issues. The stock 4efe gearbox should handle a stock 4efte without any issues.

Thank you for your advice. That will save me money and as soon as my gearbox seems to be running well without noises, I will change the oil a few times and invest the money I save on the gearbox and other components. Waiting for feedback‘s about available 4efte engines hoping to pick one without issues. I know it’s a Russia roulette. My guy in Italy told me he never had an issue with any Japanese engines ever since he started to import them 7 years ago. Even though this engine is older, with low mileage if I am lucky it will run well. I’m an amateur and I’m putting all my savings so fingers crossed.

W are the statistics about cracks and failures on the used (80k miles) 4efte engines? Should I invest money to change for example pistons and shafts? Or Should I be fine with your original ones and be able to have some fun without blowing the engine? Thank you

Morning, you will find failed piston and rods all threw this site as well as failed bigends. 

It was after I opened 2x 4efte early ep82,and 1x gen1 4efe engine ep80(all low milage) that the bore glaze can be seen its turned dark purple (stored/aged bore) All they need is a light cylinder hone and a run in and there good to go. 

The number 1 cylinder runs the hottest leading to piston seizure in the bore on factory cast alloy pistoned engines, resulting in catastrophic engine failure on a bad tune/setup. What is know as death ash is present on the underside on the piston crown a tell tail sign of crown overheating. This along side piston ring end polishing/wear means the rings closed completely for a good period/periods of time. 

Using the standard cast exhaust manifold there are restrictions in all the manifold ports mainly cylinder3 this along side the fact this cylinder gets the best feed from the inlet manifold seems to take out number 3 bigend over/around 170hpish. 

Things like hitting fuel cut, revlimiters, launch control, "Poping and banging" basically seems to kill/crack ring lands on the inlet side of the piston. Due to the combustion chamber design. So drive her right and she's good. 

Head gaskets seem to be another thing only after the original engine has been opened & head gasket replaced  with a aftermarket unit, unopened factory engines seem to be free from head gasket problems. This I'm trying to get to the bottom of but I think I've got the issue pinpointed. 

Another common issue is oil serge/starvation in long fast corners due to oil movement in the sump the first thing to be affected is the little end it starts to seize up really quite quickly.  This is present on all the ep80/82 engines I've bought, were as all the ep91 engines are lovely and free as well as being higher mileage.

The early ep82 had a single stage engine oil sump allowing alot of free oil movement, the later ep91 had a 2 stage/step sump limiting oil movement. This is probably the best way to date/age your 4efte engine. Along side the tell tail marking difference on the ct9 and ct9b compressor housing, also the square open water port in the cylinder head located behind the inlet manifold to head flange. 

And finally the silver top half of the rocker cover\cam cover section with a additional bracket on the very top surface/edge that houses the high low boost solenoid. 

Between these engine/component differences you can date your engine within a 2 year time/manufacturing period. Accepting the fact that the engine is completely original. 

Edited by Sam44

It is amazing how much knowledge you have concerning these engines. I would love to be a mechanic and have the equipment to work on it myself using your experience. My concern is that as I will have to pay labor to swap the engine, I will not have the privilege to open the engines and check it’s real conditions before putting it into my Corolla. It would cost too much. This is the gamble I will have to face. My original 4efe has run 235k Km and it runs perfect. Maybe I will be lucky to find a 4efte in the same conditions or better?

Thanks again!

thanks ive not been on this engine long but ive studied it for a year now talking to loads of experts on this Toyota e series engine. 

if you can keep and store your old engine it will come in handy, for example with slight working you can kit the inlet manifold you have on the corolla. this coupled with a ct9b (glanza turbo/4efte) will give you better set off torque and turbo spool up. also using the inlet camshaft with the turbo and 4efte inlet manifold will also supply similar results.

the inlet manifold on the corolla will sell for around £100gbp on here.    

I don't understand why, for that money, you don't just forge the 4EFE lump?

Like that's a lot of money to spend on engine/gearbox that might be goosed inside and need a rebuild.

Plus the headache of wiring looms and the swap in general.

The engines are not Honda Engines capable of 1000hp without serious modification. 

For 130-200 hp, why not just stick with what you have, uprating the components that you need to and delimiting the bottlenecks in strength of components in software.

I would see the main issues, disregarding the piston/rods/clutch (as these can be uprated), will be gearbox and crank. Both of which can have an extended life if the ECU is programmed to limit torque in lower gears to prevent premature wear.

Forging the engine and rebuild is going to cost you £2000. But that money is well spent as you can have a fully rebuilt motor ready to rock and roll. Without the faff of swapping engines.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, Calum122 said:

I don't understand why, for that money, you don't just forge the 4EFE lump?

I guess because everything I read so far wouldn’t advice to put a turbo on the 4EFE as the engine wouldn’t be strong enough to hold a the hp and torque. Also, the labor would be very long including all the risks and extra components. Especially if done by someone who has never done it before on a Corolla. As the 4EFTE is a native turbo engine, it would be easier. This said I am not an expert. I am just saying what I read so far and I would obviously want to save money so you can tell me more about what I should buy to make it happen. If you could provide a list with names hi would talk to my mechanic. Point is that buying a good after market ECU would cost me at least €1000, plus the turbo, IC, manifold and a brand new exhaust. Swapping a full 4efte with turbo, loom and ECU would cost me labor, a larger exhaust, water pump, belts and oils  this way to start. If the engine is in great conditions  But again. I’m willing to save money and keep my engine as I already no it’s in great conditions  @Sam44 already told me that the 4EFE gearbox is strong enough to hold a turbo but I read that the shafts or two week to hold that power. If this is true I would risk to break the engine really soon. Please tell me more. Thank you  

Thank you