4efe SWAP to 4efte in Corolla E11 1998

13 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

Here I am with a crazy idea.

4efte swap matched to 4efe gearbox in a Corolla vs 4efte (my default project) or 3sgte swap matched to a 7afe 4WD gearbox/tranny. I found a rare Corolla 4WD that has been sold only on the Swiss and Australian market for 2000 euros ish. I spoke to a guy in Germany that owns a AE115 with 3sgte. He said that the tranny holds the torque even if it should be for 110 ps. The option is to buy a GT Four ST185 or ST 205 3sgte with AWD tranny and rear subframe.

What do you think about it?

@Sam44 @Claymore

Sounds complicated and expensive.

Stick with the original plan in my opinion.

Please remember this is a starlet forum, people here have helped the best they can and spent lots of time guiding you (and on the other forum as well).

Its your choice and your money, but starting again seems like all the previous 8 pages of this thread are now a waste of time?

We all have these fantasy moments but please, remember your budget, time allowance and fabrication skills.

The 4efte corolla 2wd will be awesome anyway. Keep it simple mate. :thumbsup:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be a monster of a vehicle the 3sge and 3sgte engines are power houses. 

they are also thirsty on fuel the 3sgte runs around 21mpg and the 3sge around 28mpg on a great day. 

there are afew lads on the corrola owners that have done the swap into the ae101.

i would agree with claymore. ive seen to many loved motors go to scrap and money wasted threw complex builds being undertaken. 

when a build like this are done they take on average around 5 to 10 years to complete. 

one of the worst things here is to trust someone to do the build for you it rarely gets completed for many many reasons, and always costs 2 to 3 to 5 times more than first thought.   

Edited by Sam44
12 hours ago, Claymore said:

Please remember this is a starlet forum, people here have helped the best they can and spent lots of time guiding you (and on the other forum as well)

And I am grateful to you all. It's my mechanic. He wants to try the AWD. I'm just helping because he does't speak English. I will stick to my plan. After all this effort it has to come true!

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while. You can’t believe how frustrating it is to wait for an engine in a crate stuck somewhere in the Ocean. It seems that many carriers or way behind schedule because of the crisis. I’ve been waiting since January and probably will have to wait until April. How are you guys? @Sam44 @Claymore

I put a jab hood on my Corolla. No we need the horsepower 😉

6EC9E9C0-A25B-4C48-9CAA-4ABCD8EDAB24.jpeg

61C09A3A-D10D-4686-B6C1-255DF54E37C8.jpeg

Looking good Frankie. 

I'm good crazy busy with work, and can't wait to get back to the UK to see the family. thanks for asking.

How are you, and the family?. 

I've got a few things I also need to get done that have been delayed, it's very frustrating, but Needs must I guess!. 

• 2 months later...

@Sam44 @Claymore

Hi guys! I’m happy to say that the engine is finally ready and it will be shipped soon to Italy. I got all the parts from the half cut!

I still have to figure out a few things I want to be sure of. Is there an Immobilizer on the Starlet Glanza V ep91? If so, is it in the ECU or is it in a separate box? Do they usually take it out or disable it on the ECU software before shipping out the engine from Japan?

Mi 1998 E11 Corolla (4efe engine) should have the immobilizer in the keys but I am not 100% sure. I read that when I swap the engine with the 4EFTE I should receive the original master key that I could put close by my master key close to the ignition lock. When turning my key, the starlet ECU should recognize my key as a new key and add it to its keychain. I hope that you guys can help me figure it out to avoid issues and delays. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

morning frankie, how are you and the family. 

yep the jdm 4efte ep82 and ep91 do not have immobilizers/coded keys. so if your using there ems (engine management system/ecu) there will be no chipped key to overcome. you will need a good aftermarket alarm to protect your vehicle from theft.   

Edited by Sam44
8 hours ago, Sam44 said:

morning frankie, how are you and the family. 

yep the jdm 4efte ep82 and ep91 do not have immobilizers/coded keys. so if your using there ems (engine management system/ecu) there will be no chipped key to overcome. you will need a good aftermarket alarm to protect your vehicle from theft.   

Thank you my friend. I am OK. My father is ill and unfortunately there is nothing we can do to make it better. That’s why I wanna show him a good swap work on my car that he loves. Thank you for the information. I am looking for the 4efte engine overhaul service manual where I can find all the information for the maintenance I am planning such as crankshaft gaskets and big end bearing kit. Do you have a manual you can share for a link where I can download it?  I need all the Toyota torque info for head volta etc.

23 hours ago, Sam44 said:

sorry to hear this. stay strong. 

ill see what i can get for you

Thank you my friend. I found the manual in Japanese and everything is there. I have a question. Which bolts do I need to attach the engine without the gearbox on the Engine stand for maintainance? I need to buy one to keep it in my garage until we do the swap.

remember when we spoke about keeping the Corolla electronica ignition? In order to do that I will have to use a piggyback ride? The 4EFTE comes with the old coil system and there is no way to adapt the electronica version on it without using a piggyback to control it because there is no external electronic system. Is this correct? let me know. Thank you. 

A24D73D4-B267-4818-A946-B9651282F55C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, Claymore said:

Looking good Frankie, nice to know you have an engine on the way. Looking forward to the build thread. I'm doing fine and cracking on with my build. Hope you and your family are well.

:thumbsup:

Question for you. Should I continue my build thread on this one or start a new one? Asking you because you’re the Admin. 

16 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

Question for you. Should I continue my build thread on this one or start a new one? Asking you because you’re the Admin. 

Hi Frankie, I'm flattered but I'm not an admin of the forum.

If you ask @Rob SR or @Akayakpotter or @Socks they might be able to move this thread to the "other  motors progress blogs". Or just start a new build thread and link this thread as the first post if you want.

Glad its arrived 👍

You’ve been nice to me so you are my admin 😂 

I will do as you said. I probably will start a new thread.

Quick question. Which oil do you suggest for the 4EFTE and which standard clutch for instance Ridex and Blue Print OE code works with the engine? As the car wasn’t put on the Italian market I am struggling to find the correct clutch on this territory. I need something within Saturday so maybe you can help me find a standard compatible one I can buy in Italy. hope you can help.

The disc OEM thatrefers also to the kit is 31250-12360

Thanks again  

59 minutes ago, Sam44 said:

afternoon Frankie. 

im just on my way back to the uk now. I will comment soon. 

great to see that box of goodness has turned up. take it slow. 

Good to hear from you. Yes I am trying to do things the right way but it is the first time. I got my buddy who is sharp but never put his hands on this engine and especially never swapped on a Corolla. I just bought the clutch and the whole OEM gasket set. I got the fuel pump. Later on we will speak again about the intercooler, the electronica ignition swap and of course the DOT3. i’m just now talking to the guy who’s gonna make the exhaust and help me with that metal plate to screw in the Corolla steering pump. 

5 hours ago, Frankieflowers said:

You’ve been nice to me so you are my admin 😂 

I will do as you said. I probably will start a new thread.

Quick question. Which oil do you suggest for the 4EFTE and which standard clutch for instance Ridex and Blue Print OE code works with the engine? As the car wasn’t put on the Italian market I am struggling to find the correct clutch on this territory. I need something within Saturday so maybe you can help me find a standard compatible one I can buy in Italy. hope you can help.

The disc OEM thatrefers also to the kit is 31250-12360

Thanks again  

Most people use a 10w 40 fully synthetic oil for general road use in "normal" climate temps. I like an SL rating as it has the most amount of zinc to help reduce wear on the valve shims these engines have but that is an old standard now and most newer standards have less zinc but more of other additives to help reduce wear, so it doesn't really matter which brand you get. Glad you found the clutch. Exedy do a good standard clutch that I'm told is good for up to 180ps.

I finally pulled up the engine. I have some important questions for you guys who have already worked on swaps.

I need to know where these connectors go  what they are for  Do you have a diagram with the connector names and code? The Corolla has more connectors on the fuse box connectors line  

my mechanic won’t start the work if he doesn’t know each of them  

@Sam44 @Claymore

about the steering wheel pump  back in the days we spoke about keeping the acorolla pump  I remember we spoke about adopting it because one of the bolts won’t get in and something had to be modified  I need to know the measures and if possible see a picture  The other option is to keep the original 4efte steering wheel pump but of course the pipes need to be cut or replaced because the Sasi is different  The original Starlet ones would be too short and they are male on the ends  how could I do this work?

please check out these pictures and help me if you can  

537FC570-8E32-4E68-9343-88C2453BF283.jpeg

B38BA05B-DBE6-4477-8641-99DD4C309257.jpeg

0101765D-7B1B-455C-A4DA-022229B9C43E.jpeg

5458D8F3-5E36-42D9-8750-7BCF41EEF1FA.jpeg

DF3BF78A-3B91-4D66-A0AB-CCB377009319.jpeg

FC262810-5FD7-45AF-BEE1-22B8A05D9D9F.jpeg

6E94FF1C-2370-4E43-9AC6-4264E6C8E43F.jpeg

A718CFAE-9C6E-4572-AF7E-39895BAD0924.jpeg

3FF9C95C-BF24-4966-8842-5DFC2A94BEED.png

5403F578-AD81-421A-BA82-9B23163090A6.png

Edited by Frankieflowers