4efe SWAP to 4efte in Corolla E11 1998

7 minutes ago, Frankieflowers said:

Thanks! I ordered the 175448-6. It seems to be the same. B375FB8D-D778-4592-90CD-272505A69030.thumb.png.bb295ee24559714c2e5587e6e51dc5a3.png

Free sample! Niiiiiice. The -6 at the end is the colour reference for the plastic housing. Grey, white yellow etc.

6 minutes ago, Frankieflowers said:

I will build a thread with all the steps I followed since we started talking in 2020. I collected all the pictures ever since I got the engine and most of the work and research is already on my thread. But the direct experience of this swap is what makes it precious. I didn’t find a fool schedule with secrets and tips anywhere on the net.

Also "my dogs" ask me to post this:

964318722_Screenshot_20211107-102159_Instagram(2).jpg.34928611f9cf85dc5a4e9c30418c8403.jpg

:lol: :friends:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, Sam44 said:

Such a good build

I will build a thread with all the steps I followed since we started talking in 2020. I collected all the pictures ever since I got the engine and most of the work and research is already on my thread. But the direct experience of this swap is what makes it precious. I didn’t find a fool schedule with secrets and tips anywhere on the net.

1 hour ago, Claymore said:

Free sample! Niiiiiice. The -6 at the end is the colour reference for the plastic housing. Grey, white yellow etc.

Also "my dogs" ask me to post this:

964318722_Screenshot_20211107-102159_Instagram(2).jpg.34928611f9cf85dc5a4e9c30418c8403.jpg

:lol: :friends:

First you build the car then you post the thread. The car started to work properly a few days ago. What I wanna post is what has to be done in order to make things 100% work  With all the information I collected during these months I had to test things myself and take my risks including the whole amount of money I spent. Considering that I am the only one who did this project in Italy I want to be the one who did it well. My pleasure and appreciation to all of you guys who helped me with information will be to post a step-by-step process with pictures. I will do it all together in the next few weeks.

consider that I am active with all the questions that people make directly to me reading this thread. I shared all the things I tried on my car and engine. I share all the enthusiasm that you guys have and the love for this engine and built. 🙏🏻

Edited by Frankieflowers
4 hours ago, Claymore said:

Free sample! Niiiiiice. The -6 at the end is the colour reference for the plastic housing. Grey, white yellow etc

Thank you very much. I feel more safe that I ordered the correct one. I still can’t find a good price for it ECU MASTER EMU CLASSIC. My tuner wants me to order it but prices are quite high. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:35 AM, Claymore said:

Unfortunately the 54 pin Glanza female ECU socket was only sold in batches of 10 and RS has discontinued them. 😡 

RobSR at RaceCal Ltd. had some available last time I spoke with him. He might be able to sell you just the one socket.

I spoke to RaceCal Ltd. They were nice and they said they could sell me the connector. I found it though on the TE websiteA92F10DC-6DAC-4F4A-9DAB-E77E3CF3C845.thumb.jpeg.0be625d51addd95a18d89f277378f636.jpeg. Here’s a picture. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, Claymore said:

I would keep the 4efe gearbox that you have in the corolla. It should hold the power you want.

@Claymorehi there. Long time no speak!

I had a good good good time driving the car with the turbo engine and the Corolla 4efe gearbox. The gearbox wasn’t fresh it had already some synchronization issues plus probably the clutch master or slave release is leaking and it bothers putting in gears sometimes. I will replace them. Regarding the gearbox I still haven’t understood if Glanza V C56 is stronger and more reliable compared to my gearbox that should be a C140-150. My car is heavier compared to the starlet which means that shorter gears in the first gears help the engine and it is fun to drive. The C56 gearbox has longer shifts on the first, second and third gear. As you were The first two advise keeping my gearbox, I would like your advise whether or not to keep it buying a refurbished one or to switch to the turbo C 56 one. 

1 hour ago, Frankieflowers said:

@Claymorehi there. Long time no speak!

I had a good good good time driving the car with the turbo engine and the Corolla 4efe gearbox. The gearbox wasn’t fresh it had already some synchronization issues plus probably the clutch master or slave release is leaking and it bothers putting in gears sometimes. I will replace them. Regarding the gearbox I still haven’t understood if Glanza V C56 is stronger and more reliable compared to my gearbox that should be a C140-150. My car is heavier compared to the starlet which means that shorter gears in the first gears help the engine and it is fun to drive. The C56 gearbox has longer shifts on the first, second and third gear. As you were The first two advise keeping my gearbox, I would like your advise whether or not to keep it buying a refurbished one or to switch to the turbo C 56 one. 

As far as I know the C56 gearbox is stronger (apparently it has thicker gears, never taken one apart personally: https://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/109178-gearbox-help/?tab=comments#comment-1234023).

I would make sure that all the suspect faulty parts you have found (clutch cylinders, release bearing, check your engine and gearbox mounts (knocking noises), gearshift cables / brackets, cv joints etc) are fixed to confirm gearbox is the problem.

Most c56 will be well used by now, most good condition gearboxes are in cars being used not sat in garages as spares, so budget for a rebuild if you buy it, also check if parts are available to rebuild then now? Your gearbox was also old with many km's and may not have lasted much longer anyway. 

Edited by Claymore
33 minutes ago, Claymore said:

gearbox is the problem.

Thank you for your feedback. The knocking noise happens when the engine is cold and I believe that it is a matter of tolerance between parts in the gearbox. When the engine gets warmer the noise is lower but then I have the gear inserts problem. Mostly when the engine is warm sometimes at the red light I can’t even get any gear in until I have to push it in. If CV joints or cables would be faulty then the problem would be all the time but it happens sometimes. Back in the days when my mechanic replaced the gearbox with the same one because the third gear was making noise, I got a better working gearbox but it still wasn’t perfect and I believe that after 120,000 km the problem got worse. I found some oil between the gearbox and the engine underneath the slave clutch pump. One of the reasons of the failure might be loss of oil pressure that doesn’t get the clutch off properly. I will order a new part and replace it with the new gearbox. I just found out that the gearbox I want to buy is not a C 56 but a C 52 instead from an EP 82 4efte. I read that because of the gear radio is different it isn’t a good option compared to the C 56. What do you think about this?

39 minutes ago, Frankieflowers said:

Thank you for your feedback. The knocking noise happens when the engine is cold and I believe that it is a matter of tolerance between parts in the gearbox. When the engine gets warmer the noise is lower but then I have the gear inserts problem. Mostly when the engine is warm sometimes at the red light I can’t even get any gear in until I have to push it in. If CV joints or cables would be faulty then the problem would be all the time but it happens sometimes. Back in the days when my mechanic replaced the gearbox with the same one because the third gear was making noise, I got a better working gearbox but it still wasn’t perfect and I believe that after 120,000 km the problem got worse. I found some oil between the gearbox and the engine underneath the slave clutch pump. One of the reasons of the failure might be loss of oil pressure that doesn’t get the clutch off properly. I will order a new part and replace it with the new gearbox. I just found out that the gearbox I want to buy is not a C 56 but a C 52 instead from an EP 82 4efte. I read that because of the gear radio is different it isn’t a good option compared to the C 56. What do you think about this?

I would check the gearbox has oil in it, also check if the oil has shiny metal particles from worn synchros. Replace and bleed clutch cylinders. Not sure about the differences in gear ratios from c52 to c56.

6 hours ago, Claymore said:

I would check the gearbox has oil in it, also check if the oil has shiny metal particles from worn synchros. Replace and bleed clutch cylinders. Not sure about the differences in gear ratios from c52 to c56.

I already changed the box oil that was perfect. No metal pieces in it. We put the car on the bridge and put it in first gear. Moved the wheel and would hear squeaking in the gearbox on the opposite side of the differential. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, Sam44 said:

how to install the 4efte intake sensor or the original 4efe e11 intake temp sensor into the corolla intake manifold. 

@Sam44 @RoyalDutchie

Sam! Happy Holydays! How have you been?

i was thinking to swap the 4efte manifold with the 4efe manifold but I would like to keep the 4efte throttle on. Is that poasible? I would just add the air temp sensor in the 4efe intake and the rest should be fine.