Starlet SR Revival/Restore

Hello all,

First time posting on here, back in April I bought this SR off of a fella in Bradford.

It was in really bad shape bodywork and mechanically wise and I thought I'd make a build thread to not only introduce myself but also show you all my progress.

My aim is to keep to car NA and go down the itb route and restore bodywork and work on suspension. 

When I get chance I'll upload all my pictures so far, but to begin with I'll post a picture of the day I got it, April 20th 2020. (after a clean)

IMG_20200419_171657.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome this is the 6th SR thats got a thread now check the ep91 progress threads trevstars is a fantastic build stevie82 is doing  a turbo build mines a top to bottom restoration good to see another black one 

Thanks mate!

I've been reading through them all over the last couple of days, definitely some impressive stuff going on!

Anyways, first thing I did when I got the car was overhaul the rear suspension as the shocks had gone and it drove god awful, so at this point I bought some Bilstein shocks, Tein springs, a whiteline rear arb and a GizFab panhard just incase.

Once all this had been fitted I took it for front tracking as I drove it home with the steering wheel almost 90 degrees out.

While I was there I also had them weld the ARB brackets in place just as a precaution.

Welcome. 

I do love black. She looks good. 

Remember to share your progress and starlet experiences with us all.

I think good things and new starlet records will be set with some of these lads builds, there are some very capable cars being made. 

Edited by Sam44
2 hours ago, CheFinn said:

Thanks mate!

I've been reading through them all over the last couple of days, definitely some impressive stuff going on!

Anyways, first thing I did when I got the car was overhaul the rear suspension as the shocks had gone and it drove god awful, so at this point I bought some Bilstein shocks, Tein springs, a whiteline rear arb and a GizFab panhard just incase.

Once all this had been fitted I took it for front tracking as I drove it home with the steering wheel almost 90 degrees out.

While I was there I also had them weld the ARB brackets in place just as a precaution.

Great stuff rear arb is on my list along with the front, you don't happen to be the guy I sent a link for some SR decals are you? 

1 hour ago, Sam44 said:

I think good things and new starlet records will be set with some of these lads builds, there are some very capable cars being made. 

Agree Sam friendly bunch aswell 

3 minutes ago, burty said:

Great stuff rear arb is on my list along with the front, you don't happen to be the guy I sent a link for some SR decals are you? 

There's a good chance I am, ordered them a few days back mate!

Car is going into the body shop from 19th to the 21st so hopefully I'll have the decals on next weekend also :)

I'll drop some pictures of parts I have changed etc when I go on my pc as my phone won't let me upload!

1 hour ago, Kieran Barber said:

I'd never forget this little car, I owned it between December 2017 - late 2019 and I'll regret selling it on.

Glad to see it's gone to a good home, can't wait for the updates to roll in!

That's ace mate!

Was hoping some of the prior owners would be on here!

I'm hoping to keep it a long time and make it stand out a little, so I'll post whenever I get chance :)

4 hours ago, burty said:

How does the rear arb feel heard it makes a massive difference 

It does make a massive difference mate.

The speed I can carry in and out of corners now is much more noticeable, makes the car feel very trust worthy, perhaps too much 😅

3 hours ago, Kieran Barber said:

yeah that was the same suspension I had on the GT when I bought it, it was bad then so I can only imagine they felt like scaffolding poles lol

Quick pic of it when I had it, cadwell park 2 years ago this month
starlet_11.png

Awesome pic mate, if you ever want to see the car or take it for a spin just drop me a message.

Yeah the suspension was VERY hard, the hardest I've had in a car, to be honest it went well before I swapped the springs it was just I couldn't take the pain of British roads anymore 😂

After I had sorted some suspension bits and gave it a service I then fitted some Mishimoto locking wheel nuts from my Del Sol I'd just sold and gave it a once over with a clay bar and then fitted a small sunstrip to add a little colour.

This was the result as of May!

IMG_20200504_075734.jpg

In June I grabbed some clear side repeaters and clear corner lights, then gave the calipers a lick of paint and replaced what I'm guessing to be the original cabin filters.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you they were disgusting 😆

IMG_20200710_212001.jpg

IMG_20200606_155058.jpg

IMG_20200511_191334.jpg

Come July I didn't really do anything to the car, however, I got some IdWorkz half rad brackets and a japspeed radiator and fan and shroud.

But come the end of July I didn't get round to fitting these as I became a dad! My daughter was born on the 26th of July!😀

Since then parts have been collected and been awaiting attention as you can imagine, it's been a hectic (but amazing) few months but up until now I've not been doing much car wise.

IMG_20200714_172654.jpg

IMG_20200714_173813.jpg

Most recently I fitted a bucket seat as I felt all the suspension bits I had weren't getting used to full potential.

So I purchased a BB seat off of eBay with a set of 'universal' runners.

After a lot of drilling and cutting the feet off of the standard seat rail and buying some decent bolts I managed to get it into the car. 

Probably took around 4 hours in total as I had to buy 2 sets off drill bits in the end as they kept blunting. Most of the time was spent measuring and adjusting the seat runners, but it is possible with ace results!

After I had done this I couldn't believe the difference, it did mean sacrificing the original seat for the rail but it was well worth it.

Especially for only around £190, by far a massive improvement to the whole driving experience.

Screenshot_20201017-191257.png

Edited by CheFinn

Other than all the above that's everything up to date as of now.

The car is booked in from the 19th to the 21st for the bodywork sorting and some decals have been sourced thanks to burty so come next week I should have a good bit of progress.

The bootlid had a lot of damage and so did the rear bumper and drivers door and quarter.

The bootlid will be having the lock removed and filled along with the rear wiper for a more 'clean' look. (The boot lock has never worked during my ownership regardless)

Also the bonnet will be finally sorted paint wise!

2 hours ago, Kieran Barber said:

looks like DM's aren't working and unfortunately I don't have instagram

it'll be fine for the time being though mate, I'll just keep my eye here

They are you have to go to create message rather that click on the member, then type the name 😎

2 hours ago, CheFinn said:

Come July I didn't really do anything to the car, however, I got some IdWorkz half rad brackets and a japspeed radiator and fan and shroud.

But come the end of July I didn't get round to fitting these as I became a dad! My daughter was born on the 26th of July!😀

Since then parts have been collected and been awaiting attention as you can imagine, it's been a hectic (but amazing) few months but up until now I've not been doing much car wise.

IMG_20200714_172654.jpg

IMG_20200714_173813.jpg

Congrats mate I also became a dad to a girl this year in Jan lots of sleepless nights I'm sure can't wait to see the decals really sets the sr off