So after owning my Glanza V facelift for around 1.5 years I have finally decided to start a progress blog. Actually haven't done much to the car yet since I owned it apart for the normal maintenance. Didn't have the time and actually wanted to keep the progress logged with a progress blog.

Let me introduce myself, I'm Brian life in the Netherlands. Was looking for something special as my first car. Looked at a few cars like a bmw e46, Seat ibiza fr even an Impreza gt turbo. Soon I ended up looking for affordable cars like the golf mk4 gti, after speaking with my local garage they advised me to buy a Toyota instead since most GTI's here can have some poor maintenance history. Started looking for some fun and special toyota's mostly Celica's but after a while this white Glanza V popped up and I couldn't resist such a special little pocket rocket.

Over the weekend I went over to check the car, and even though I had my doubts I ended up buying it anyway. Had some issues but instantly fell in love and genuinely wanted the car to be in the hands of an owner which will take care of it. Bought the car at 156xxx kilometers currently has 164xxx kilometers.

spec list:
-stock exhaust and intercooler
-hks oldschool bov
-custom catchcan
-injen dryfilter
-stock engine with ac delete and short route intake
-civic halfrad with 1.3bar mishimoto cap
-ebc yellow stuff brake pads and discs front
-braided lines.
-low boost delete
-Tegiwa brake master cylinder stopper.
-Enkei wheels with bridgestone potenza re050a

h1IZsGe.jpg

rLPgL7H.jpg

qdTOt2t.jpg

First day I owned the car it didn't shift into the uneven gears. Broken gear linkage, didn't check them my bad(previous owner did send me a set of mint ones).

mm3K71Q.jpg

Did the normal maintenance checked the belts replaced the oil and filter also replaced the transmission fluid and fuel filter.

After the gear linkage issue I didn't experience any issues until MOT 4 months later. Car had some rusted rear calipers which one needed direct replacement otherwise it wouldn't pass the MOT. Got a new set of brake discs, set of ebc brake pads and a new caliper from Toyota(local Toyota dealer had one in stock since a few Paseo also have the same calipers). Did experience an issue with the boot full of water rear lights didn't have seals, fixed it luckily no rust.

The crankshaft seal was leaking which was replaced also replaced the clutch with a new exedy one. Replaced the rear lights with a set which didn't have cracks all around and placed a new battery since the old one was done for. Reinstalled the strut brace and charcoal canister. Also added a home made custom catch can.

XPOHS1F.jpg

3kIPOBX.jpgmiWV3Kt.jpg

The orange pipe is made of aluminum and has a few holes in them. The pcv is connected to this one. Threaded the pipe and the connection the catch can wrapped it in teflon tape to prevent any leaks. This pipe routes the air with oil vapors to the bottom of the catch can with a few holes to prevent a dirt water/oil to go back to the pcv ones the level of fluid rises in the catch can.

The cyan space is filled with stainless steel wool which helps to cool the hot air with oil vapors which in turn condenses te oil to a liquid state and keeps it in the catch can reducing the oil inside the air which goes back to the intake.

The red plate is their to separate the inlet from the outlet. Also prevents any pieces from leaving the catch can.

The purple mesh filter is used to filter the last oil out of the air, also prevent any stainless steel pieces from leaving the catch can thus reducing the chance of damaging the pistons etc.

Due to the mix of metals it will gall pretty bad but the oil should prevent this from happening.

l9uKXZY.png

Edited by RoyalDutchie
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 15 months the time finally came to replace the old trusted steelies. Got a set of 4 jr 5mm spacers and a set of lug nuts.
Replaced the steelies with some Enkies which have been powder coated with 3 new layers should last for quite some time. Wrapped the enkies is some nice bridgestone potenza re050a. Looks way beter but man I'm going to miss the carefree curbing of the wheels😝

MeNh8oj.jpg

M9RAqQ6.jpg

QghWbXu.jpg

gYR1PI9.jpg

I finally took the time to replace the old non turbo pcv valve.

FZjN4KW.jpg

Ended up being a pain in the rear end instantly broke when I tried to remove the pvc hose which became hard and lost all it flexibility due to oil(currently running the same between pcv-catchcan-inlet but will be replaced with nylon rubber soon).

Couldn't remove it so I ordered a new gasket set for the valve cover and started working on de valve cover. Cleaned up nicely.

GcyYlAX.jpg

Replaced the spark plug with hotter plugs while I was at it. Didn't look to bad but cylinder 2 an 3 seem to have some oil vapors problems due to the pcv(replaced the iridium BKR7EIX with BKR6E).

yQYaXzW.jpg

Edited by RoyalDutchie

Recently got a set of greddy license plates will definitely suits the greddy parts soon to be fitted/received. These holders fit plates from the USA, which are the same sizes as the plates which most import cars get here. Also got some braided an hoses and new foglight bulbs.

yW4i0BF.jpg

1lRrzAO.jpg

Started to fit the tegiwa brake master cylinder stopper, to be fair it ain't a good kit, had to drill a bigger hole in the biggest bracket and had to cut the long bolt. Also they are a pain to fit, but well Cuscos also have these issues just not a lot of space to work with. Still need to complete the installation.

8ILNvhZ.jpg

So replaced the fog lights for some new ones, actually discoverer they where the lead type h3 bulbs which ain't good since the rubber grommets do not seal these types. Both replaced and it's all good now. Replacing these bulb is a real pain for sure, definitely the most time consuming bulbs of the glanza. Replaced the zip ties with clamps and the rubber hose with a nice braided one.

Oc5RAkl.jpgtYroUz1.jpg

Installed the brake master cylinder stopper which I would definitely not recommend to much effort to install. Did give a much more consistent brake feeling though. Still adjusting it a bit along the way. Sadly also found a small amount of coolant near the rear of the engine, wiped the water pump with a paper towel which came out pink so most definitely the water pump needs to be replaced along with the seals.

XYtcMi7.jpg

So last weekend I decided to test my new tools since I had to replace the waterpump. Opted to go with full Aisin replacement unit. Got the car on the ramp in the garage.

C1Fun0K.jpg4u5nstY.jpg

Removing the old waterpump and installing a new waterpump did take it's time. Removing the alternator from the engine bay was the hardest part. Waiting for the liquid gasket to dry it took ages. Bleeding the system was easy though. Removed an original Toyota aisin pump so it might have been the original one who knows. While I was at it I also did my first official oil change which was a peanuts compared to changing the waterpump.

Replaced the battery bracket with one which is more fitting to the theme. Installed the braided an6 hoses replacing the pvc hoses.

iSoV0zD.jpg

K15PUdn.jpg

TgTImYh.jpg

Ud0BdhO.jpg

Test fitted the intercooler and route . Needs a bit of work to get it installed, will be fabricating the mounting brackets for the intercooler soon.

OIdAwne.jpg

2PSX065.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dutchie,

Can't PM you still.

I saw on the other site you were talking about building a plug n play ecu.

Do you know where you can buy the Toyota ECU socket from? Also looking for the plugs with pins from the car wiring loom to match. Tried my local Toyota and they said would have to buy a complete loom! 🤪

Must be somewhere online that does them for homebrew pnp.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:48 PM, Claymore said:

Hey Dutchie,

Can't PM you still.

I saw on the other site you were talking about building a plug n play ecu.

Do you know where you can buy the Toyota ECU socket from? Also looking for the plugs with pins from the car wiring loom to match. Tried my local Toyota and they said would have to buy a complete loom! 🤪

Must be somewhere online that does them for homebrew pnp.

They are all TE connectors, the oem 42 socket is actually easy to get. the 54 for the glanza loom can only be ordered as company. I'll pm you.

OEM 42 plug 175446-6 can be bought for about the same amount

Edited by RoyalDutchie
12 hours ago, RoyalDutchie said:

They are all TE connectors, the oem 42 socket is actually easy to get. the 54 for the glanza loom can only be ordered as company. I'll pm you.

OEM glanza plug 54: 175448-6 go for about 7 to 9 euro's each. or 3 each if you fancy buying 280 plugs😂 End of life has hit these plugs, but chinaexpress is actually producing them now as well so stock should be no problem anytime soon.

OEM 42 plug 175446-6 can be bought for about the same amount

Thanks mate (I've replied to the PM, hope you got it), I'll check them out. 👍

Edited by Claymore

Got a set of Tein pillow ball mounts for the shocks.

UE709Fl.png

got a replacement center vent. Haven’t installed it yet since it requires taking the dash out. Also have the Toyota din cover but I haven't found it yet.

UOXRGbb.png

Most brackets had surface rust on them. To prevent them becoming Japanese gold dust I grinded them and converted the rust. Got a sandblasting cabinet with media recently which I’ll be using for these tasks soon. They came out pretty good.

pleTltz.pngee9C0ZV.png

3ui4EDu.png

Also done the fuel hose guard, but it was too far gone. Sorted a new one from the local Toyota dealer which I’ll pick up tomorrow. Current one is rust converted with a layer of fluidfilm an after that with a layer of perma fluid transparant to seal it.

y88PLRb.png17TvmLt.png

Swapped the plug on the greddy profec a controller since I only had one side of the plug and this is a bit more rust resistant. Bled the brakes with dot 5.1 and replaced the caps which al but one where missing. Also managed to snap the bleeding valve of the drivers side rear one. The left one was replaced pretty recently now I know why the garage told me they were probably beyond saving once the braking goes out of spec. May get the bit that is still stuck out later with heat. I do have a spare caliper.

OVZDpqP.pngRwLXCbW.png

YFfrBOA.pngPMLjUO1.png

EeQi8oa.png

New fuel hose protector picked up today. Finished in a zinc coat not plate which blends in with the brackets I did last weekend. Will put this one in fluid film perma film right away so it won't event think about oxidizing for the first 5 years.

Toyota dealer also told me the starlets in the Netherlands will get a recall soon. When I asked about imports he told me they should get this recall as well just a bit later. The recall only seems to be for the airbag in the steering wheel not the one in the dash.
Edited by RoyalDutchie

Love a build thread! Just noticed this great work and a great write up for me  it's the build threads that make the forum so shall be looking forward to updates

Edited by burty
13 hours ago, burty said:

Love a build thread! Just noticed this great work and a great write up for me  it's the build threads that make the forum so shall be looking forward to updates

Thanks Burty, many updates still to come. Bought the glanza which works etc but is in a pretty rough state. Without taking money into account buying a rough one instead of a sorted one is actually not to bad of a decision. I've learned so much about working on cars because of the glanza, it will probably outweigh the money spend learning. 

Great work! I also recently bought the fuel filler neck guard. Mine was also in a bad shape!

Interesting about the airbag on imports. My reflet has the airbag light on so hoping it gets recalled so they can deal with it lol. 

2 hours ago, BMX-RIG said:

Great work! I also recently bought the fuel filler neck guard. Mine was also in a bad shape!

Interesting about the airbag on imports. My reflet has the airbag light on so hoping it gets recalled so they can deal with it lol. 

Il find out I'm taking mine in with a import steering wheel on and acting dumb bet half the techs don't know what's standard tbh 

A few more things I did last week.

The fuel filler door had a bit of surface rust so converted it and put a few layers of clear coat on the edge to seal it for the next few years. Can't really tell there was rust on it now which is a pretty welcome change for once.

nug7ifW.png

NIzW6ao.png

Replaced the zip ties around the custom catch can with a nice jubilee clip. I did also paint the battery tray since it had a nice bit of surface rust. To prevent it rusting through I already sealed it every 6 months with a layer of fluid film. It never really progressed since I started putting fluid film on it but it was time to get it sorted.

9L6YLXl.png

W6jd9CS.png

Blue nuts installed to finish of the battery clamp.

wm0NloV.png

The wiper arms also had a bit of rust so cleaned them and sprayed them with a layer of mat black paint. 

LGzByQl.png

VhSHI55.png

Also sealed most parts of the rear end of the car and wheel arches in fluid film A and then a layer of perma film transparent to keep it clean and protected.

Edited by RoyalDutchie
On 11/14/2020 at 6:03 PM, BMX-RIG said:

Dirt really gets them. I was happy Toyota still made them and didn't charge the world for them.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Sam44 said:

great work as always. 

loving the builds going on just at present. 

Really like the build threads, when you think you didn't do much and check back it actually seems much more like the opposite. Keeps you motivated to keep going and make progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Found some pictures of the car from back in the day, between 2011 and 2018. By the looks of it after 2011 the car got an engine which was running at about 200 bhp. Later the engine may have been swapped for a different one since so much is different about it no fmic anymore leads changed and a bit more. I do have an oem front and rear splitter now which need to be painted and find their way back on the car to return the past to the present with a small twist of now having 2 facelift wing mirrors😃

?

8UxFmJK.png

Zf0AbRI.png

5TjuzAP.png

kxVbC1a.png

h1IZsGe.jpg

?

Edited by RoyalDutchie
  • 2 weeks later...

Car is currently in dry storage sandwiched between the caravans😁 Will miss it but couldn't stand keeping it in the rain and humid air. The salted road wouldn't do it any good so haven't driven it for the past 4 weeks. I'll be getting it back on the road in the beginning of april next year.

2wKz3VS.jpg

Edited by RoyalDutchie
  • 3 weeks later...