• 2 weeks later...

Yo. Hope you're all doing well.

I was having some issues selecting gears and so took the car to SMD over in Newhaven where they found it to be clutch release bearing related. That's now been resolved which is great as she was becoming a real bugger to drive around town. 

Whilst there they also wired in my oil catch can and sorted some less than desirable wiring done by a previous owner... 

IMG_20210221_092006.thumb.jpg.951a117df8ff4a9685edc171741b6d07.jpg

I'm now all booked in to Redline Tuning in Essex for a new Unichip ecu. I wanted the Link ecu however on talking to the guy who works there realised that it would be around £4k for the Link after install, mapping and all where as the Unichip (which he's been racing his is own Starlet with for a while) is going to set me back not even a quarter of that, and still has the ability for multimapping, launch control etc. 

With my new maps I'll be having the boost turned up, I'm currenly on wastegate pressure so will be interesting to see how she goes with some more welly. So long as its safe for the engine I'm happy. I'm currently on 230 and thinking about raising it to 270. 

I seem to be collecting bits and not having a great deal of time to install them at the minute but here's what I have going on at the minute

New door handles - mine have about a cm's play in them (a pretty common thing so I've been told) so picked up a new set from ebay and after seeing Travstar's nice polished door handles I decided to go down the same route, currently in the process of sanding them down to a fine finish. 

New boot lining - the original boot lining was in a rather sorry state so picked up some nice new thick carpet boot lining and some hard board. 

Cluster screen - the one on there at the minute has a small crack in it (only noticeable from the passengers side but still...) so found GlanzaWyard (above) on ebay and bought his old one from an automatic. Great price on that, thanks mate! 

Cluster lights - when doing the screen I will also be changing all the bulbs, I've bought both led and normal to see how I feel at the time. 

Parcel shelf speakers - wire in the Pioneer 6x9's I bought back in January. 

Rear lights - I just picked up some non facelift rear lights, the reflet lights on there atm look like they were previously restored but not to the best standard so after talking to Trav he suggested redoing them with some neoprene chord. Plan is to pop the 96 style lights in to give myself some time to do up the reflet lights properly. 

Front light - one of the rubbers was missing from one of the headlights, managed to pick one of those up so shall be popping that on. 

I should probably get back to work. 

Cheers all

Edited by Goldie
36 minutes ago, Goldie said:

Yo. Hope you're all doing well.

I was having some issues selecting gears and so took the car to SMD over in Newhaven where they found it to be clutch release bearing related. That's now been resolved which is great as she was becoming a real bugger to drive around town. 

Whilst there they also wired in my oil catch can and sorted some less than desirable wiring done by a previous owner... 

IMG_20210221_092006.thumb.jpg.951a117df8ff4a9685edc171741b6d07.jpg

I'm now all booked in to Redline Tuning in Essex for a new Unichip ecu. I wanted the Link ecu however on talking to the guy who works there realised that it would be around £4k for the Link after install, mapping and all where as the Unichip (which he's been racing his is own Starlet with for a while) is going to set me back not even a quarter of that, and still has the ability for multimapping, launch control etc. 

With my new maps I'll be having the boost turned up, I'm currenly on wastegate pressure so will be interesting to see how she goes with some more welly. So long as its safe for the engine I'm happy. I'm currently on 230 and thinking about raising it to 270. 

I seem to be collecting bits and not having a great deal of time to install them at the minute but here's what I have going on at the minute

New door handles - mine have about a cm's play in them (a pretty common thing so I've been told) so picked up a new set from ebay and after seeing Travstar's nice polished door handles I decided to go down the same route, currently in the process of sanding them down to a fine finish. 

New boot lining - the original boot lining was in a rather sorry state so picked up some nice new thick carpet boot lining and some hard board. 

Cluster screen - the one on there at the minute has a small crack in it (only noticeable from the passengers side but still...) so found GlanzaWyard (above) on ebay and bought his old one from an automatic. Great price on that, thanks mate! 

Cluster lights - when doing the screen I will also be changing all the bulbs, I've bought both led and normal to see how I feel at the time. 

Parcel shelf speakers - wire in the Pioneer 6x9's I bought back in January. 

Rear lights - I just picked up some non facelift rear lights, the reflet lights on there atm look like they were previously restored but not to the best standard so after talking to Trav he suggested redoing them with some neoprene chord. Plan is to pop the 96 style lights in to give myself some time to do up the reflet lights properly. 

Front light - one of the rubbers was missing from one of the headlights, managed to pick one of those up so shall be popping that on. 

I should probably get back to work. 

Cheers all

Looking good! I’m currently running 230bhp at the moment and probs gonna go forged but let us know the difference between 230 and high 200’s when you get it mapped 👍

I also replaced my cluster lights with normal bulbs recently. I think the led lights are too bright and I’ve heard they can cause problems with the electrics

12 minutes ago, Healey said:

Looking good! I’m currently running 230bhp at the moment and probs gonna go forged but let us know the difference between 230 and high 200’s when you get it mapped 👍

I also replaced my cluster lights with normal bulbs recently. I think the led lights are too bright and I’ve heard they can cause problems with the electrics

You should definitely go forged 😉 

That was exactly my thoughts on the LED bulbs, either too bright, they'll mess up the cluster or they won't have a good coverage. 

7 minutes ago, daniel_g said:

Wow 4k for a Link install is crazy expensive. Most of that must have been labour cost.

Hope this goes well for you.

Yeah, think thats an entirely new loom, sensors, ecu, mapping (which would cost the price of the whole unichip package itself). For a £30k Impreza it would seem reasonable. 

Cheers buddy. I feel a bit funny steering away from the well trodden Emanage route but needs must 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been about a month since I had the unichip installed. I'm a lot more happy with how things are now running, no more issues with cold starting which is great & no more back firing (as much as that sounded fun) She's now running a dual boost mode changeable by switch, so 230bhp @ 1bar and 263bhp @ 1.2bar. I hadn't really had a lot of time to check out the new map until last weekend when I went back home to Somerset to catch up with friends and family. Getting home felt so good, it had been a year since I'd seen anybody (thank you COVID) and being on the roads I grew up on was so much fun. All so quiet, knowing where all the bumps and dips were. Fantastic driving! I tried persuading my old man to come out for a drive but it was suggested it wouldn't be the best idea as he's currently got heart issues for which he's about to have a pacemaker fitted and it could cause some potential upset. I'll try him again once the pacemaker is fitted. 

I've been catching up with @Trevstar quite a bit lately (or at least as work and life will allow me). He's been a fantastic help towards the car and lately was good enough to install my stereo for me. It was one of those cases where I could do it but he could do it so much better! And that really goes to show by the finished project, as anybody that knows his work he did as you can imagine a sterling job. 

IMG_20210410_175729.thumb.jpg.b7a66de4addd4fd64ddb614ad0c98d4e.jpgIMG_20210410_171106.thumb.jpg.2964b80ee41bdb1754159f0e61980b78.jpgIMG_20210128_132028.thumb.jpg.c4d2f14b0962bc448caf292af29f399a.jpgIMG_20210127_155812.thumb.jpg.01765172929db1770f0ba19e0636daf0.jpg

Decided my boot carpet needed to go too as it was coated in oil and god knows what other filth

IMG_20210307_164415.thumb.jpg.30b92a526eceb5b54a38a3ae3943f0bd.jpg

So picked up some new automotive carpet from ebay and got to trimming that down to fit. It was a bit of a bugger as its not the easiest of stuff to work with but eventually got it in there and now it's looking heaps better and there's a very slight improvement to the amount of sound coming from the rear which is good. 

IMG_20210307_164116.thumb.jpg.407d7243862f706b5a54f3f078aa8842.jpgIMG_20210307_164132.thumb.jpg.82b0a2a327e0f6ea8a2055b34892aa08.jpgIMG_20210307_164124.thumb.jpg.6aadd595580f9e5871c54495305c2d72.jpg

Next on the agenda is to respray the rear strut (hence not putting the plastics back on the strut in the pictures), replace the stereo fascia, replace the bulbs in the cluster and refurb the fog and headlights.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the day off work yesterday and popped up to see Travis. After putting the world to rights we took to finishing off the boot space. I painted and clear coated the rear strut last weekend after finally the weather calmed down a bit, I think the silver makes the boot really pop. 

IMG_20210528_150557.thumb.jpg.d13622adca733f781e7b02865b3a4776.jpg

Edited by Goldie
  • 5 months later...

Hope you are all doing well and staying sane now the seasons have changed.

IMG_20211008_135637.thumb.jpg.4445c8fc1b500f47c8f203864feb9aba.jpg

Thought I'd post a little update as it's been a while. Cars been running great throughout the summer, longest journey being a 400 mile round trip to Wales from Brighton via Somerset. The journey did make me decide that noise wise enough was enough and so I picked up the HKS high power silent I'd been contemplating, that's all now fitted to the car and although not sounding as fun as the Blitz exhaust it's less antisocial.

IMG_20210917_075337.thumb.jpg.00e2bc92c2a5467e8a428554120b9ff4.jpg

I keep toying with the idea of a set of new wheels but next purchase will likely be a recore on the current blitz intercooler I have. 

Hey Burty, wheel wise I find it hard choosing anything else other than the speedlines as they look so natural on there. Should hopefully get to meet at somepoint dude, Trav and I have talked about a visit at somepoint 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:46 AM, Goldie said:

Hey Burty, wheel wise I find it hard choosing anything else other than the speedlines as they look so natural on there. Should hopefully get to meet at somepoint dude, Trav and I have talked about a visit at somepoint 

Yeah would be great to see your glanza and get some photos with it when the SR is finished 

We'll have to arrange something for next spring after Trav's settled in. 

I picked up some heater bulbs from Toyota yesterday and got those fitted, £14! 😳 Atleast it's sorted now. 

I also removed the old Blitz boost controller and fitted a fascia I picked up from SIWFC off here a little while ago, which meant I finally could plug in my demister. 

IMG_20211111_162339.thumb.jpg.2760725b9968f6a2ddbcefaddd76132a.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm not usually one for taking pictures of my car but found myself in the work carpark the other night which seemed to be quite a fitting venue for a couple quick snaps.. 

I've just refitted the reflet rear lights after giving them a bit of a refurb (they've grown on me and liking the fact I've got the choice between the two types) 

Missing the wipers in these pictures as currently refurbishing them, looking heaps better with a new lick of paint

IMG_20211211_105703.jpg

IMG_20211211_105607.jpg

IMG_20211211_105621.jpg

IMG_20211211_105637.jpg

Edited by Goldie