Forged Engine Maintenance

4 hours ago, Goldie said:

Hi all, possibly a daft question however I wondered if and what additional maintenance/upkeep should be made on a forged engine to keep her sweet. Thank you

There are no daft questions mate!

Wouldn't say there was any special maintenance because an engine is forged, it's more the power level and how it's driven that will reduce service intervals.

Most track cars get an oil and filter change after each track day due to the nature of the driving. 

If it's sensible power output and mixed street driving then the normal change intervals should be fine. If you wanted to be safer then reduce the oil service interval to 2k miles.

Always use quality fully synthetic oil of the correct grade and a quality oil filter.

Avoid separate oil additives and oil flushes, imho they aren't necessary as modern oils are excellent and have all the detergents and additives required already.

9 minutes ago, Goldie said:

Thanks Claymore.

As the car is new to me in the last month I'm going to change the filter, drain then put fresh oil in her and give her some fresh coolant for piece of mind.

Probably best to change the gearbox oil as well. Unless there is a receipt for it being done recently, it's quite often overlooked.

• 1 month later...

Yep I run mobile 1 fully syn 5w40 threw winter and 10w40 in the months July to Oct (northwest UK), i change it every 6k miles or imediately after track action. I send off a sample to be tested while I filter and boil off the contaminants. If the tests come back good it goes back in after the other oil has done 6k. 

I'm not running a forged motor. I'm on modified high compression 4efe+t unit. 

Edited by Sam44