Intercooler size calculations?

I'm trying to figure out the smallest size intercooler I can get away with for my sleeper build.

I've got a copy of Corky bell's book and Jeff Hartmans book. Using their method of calculating gives similar results (the hartman book has 2 different equations however which yield different results!?). They also don't specify the length the tubes need to be without some serious thermodynamic calculations to work out the heat removal which needs alot of parameters I can't get without a laboratory.

I've done a fair amount of googling which comes up with several different methods of calculating the core size. Some use lb/min some use CFM calculations (CFM for the N/A as boost doesn't affect cfm only air density!?) etc. Then using the CFM calculated on the Bell intercoolers website to check what core size has the required CFM to get rough sizes.

I am now at the point where the "required" core size differs greatly depending on the method used to calculate it.

If anyone has a sure fire preferred method please feel free to post it up.

Or it could well be "pick one that fits in the hole".

Cheers (off for a lie down) :blink: 

love this, keep it up. 

i just use my inlet temp sensor to take readings and work on the fact that volume effects pressure build and drop (turbo size/boost build/dump valve position). 

i run narrow diameter tubing from the turbo into the core and slowly increase the size upto the engine. this helps air charge velocity. the inter-cooler pipe/core diameter/volume will have an affect on the engines ability to breath freely affecting power/boost build. i use really a quite large diameter inter cooler with a high surface area. i am looking for a better more efficient core.   

water injection cooling, on the core surface. really helps drop core temps alot also. i use this in high boost mode. also using shielding/paneling to reduce air spilling around the core helps a great deal. as well as reducing heat soak from other areas of engine heat. 

another good thing to take into account here is heat/density affects fueling the more dens the air the more fuel required. using heat in the inlet charge is a great way to improve mpg in certain circumstances/conditions.    

keep up the good work. air density gives engine torque (pulling power)  

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 months later...

Also found this:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/04/maximum_boost.pdf

Its a pdf copy of Corky Bell's maximum boost book.

Its a bit out of date now (the engine management section will almost be out of date at the time of print really.) and I'm certainly not recommending it as the only source of reading info on the subject, but it has some good insights and solid lessons to help understand the subject matter. The section on intercoolers is also where all the "trouble" started when comparing to other books on the matter. Still worth a read. 

If you're interested, the Jeff Hartman Turbocharging performance handbook is a modern version of the above.

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, richardc9052 said:

Are you building an EP80 or EP90? if its an EP90... I have the perfect size intercooler for keeping it hidden, but also maximising the space.

Size: 450X300X76mm

403988717_Edited1.jpg.e0a9fb07871a9ad545f619cc2a460bea.jpg85674460_Edited3.jpg.c675a80966c41144d4a766aed0ca3e7a.jpg1877065314_Edited2.thumb.jpg.ad4b662a0eb3a8ea983bbac4b3b03719.jpg

Thanks for the info, looks a good fit.

It's for an EP91 (build thread link's in my bio)

Might I ask, is that a TD05? 16g?, 18g?, 20g?

Yeah I bought the turbo like 2 years ago, covid hit, I didn't do much until recently. Found Matt's videos alright and it does go well. I have just bought another turbo though so I'll see which one I like more when it's running. 

No build thread yet. I will throw one up at some point. Forged, ORC clutch, 1.5 way LSD and will be running on a Speeduino UA4C. All parts are spread out yet, nearly time to assemble. We did up the turbo kit, rad, mounted intercooler and made up the piping all in preparation. 

7 minutes ago, richardc9052 said:

Yeah I bought the turbo like 2 years ago, covid hit, I didn't do much until recently. Found Matt's videos alright and it does go well. I have just bought another turbo though so I'll see which one I like more when it's running. 

No build thread yet. I will throw one up at some point. Forged, ORC clutch, 1.5 way LSD and will be running on a Speeduino UA4C. All parts are spread out yet, nearly time to assemble. We did up the turbo kit, rad, mounted intercooler and made up the piping all in preparation. 

Sounds awesome, looking forward to the progress.